Can we stop kidding ourselves and HONESTLY grade Roman Reigns?

VulgarUsername

Roman Reigns

Superstar look: A
Wrestling ability: C+
Charisma: B+
Promo/Mic Skill:D

Superstar look, unquestionable...but sooner rather than later, he has to depart from the Shield schtick. He needs his own identity just as Seth and Ambrose. I imagined if he were to turn heel, he could flip the "One vs All" slogan in means of him vs the people (ala 'Me Against World'). No more coming from the crowd (which does stand out from others but again, it's tied to the Shield). Kill the "Balee Dat" phrase. Get some new music. Align him with Paul Heyman (He turns on Brock to invest in the future).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hummmm... Interesting concept. Just for fun, if I were to grade some guys, I would go with this:

Reigns

Superstar look: A (Not A+. A+ is The Rock, he's not there.)

In-ring: C- (he's a little, tiny bit below average. He can be nice with the right worker.)

Verbal skills: C- (he can do good work, but seems to be very limited and can't work around bad material)

Charisma/Presence: B- (He's a silent type, nothing new, but he pulls it off well and the audience liked him for a very long time because of it. Can evolve)

Rollins

Superstar look: B (His presentation is rock solid, but his average Joe face knocks him down a bit IMO)

In-ring: A+ (Just an outstanding worker. In WWE's actual main roster, only four guys would get this grade: him, Bryan, Ziggler and Cesaro. There's a lot more A's, but to me only these are A+.)

Verbal skills: B+ (He's much improved and very good. But not great. Can hold himself well and get the crowd going in the direction he wants, which for a guy of his in-ring capacity, is all you really need.)

Charisma/Presence: B (A's are for guys with certain auras around them. He doesn't really have that.)

Bryan

Superstar look: A- (He's not your typical superstar, in fact he's an antithesis of that. Which is why he looks the part. And that's all you need to stand out. Plus, his face looks like that of a guy that can rip your head off with a choke)

In-ring: A+ (In this department, best in the World, since ROH.)

Verbal skills: A- (He tends to be a little limited in his promos, and the material is somewhat basic, but he conveys them so well that he always has the crowd's attention)

Charisma/Presence: A+ (The crowd loves him as much as anybody ever. He might not have as much cool factor as some bigger stars like Stone Cold and Rock, but the love is there. He's the only active guy in the entire WWE that can blow the roof off of the building with cheers.)

Cena

Superstar look: A+ (Looks the part, from attire to physique to entrance presentation.)

In-ring: B (I feel I'll get critics from guys here. I don't care. Cena is rock solid as a storyteller in the ring. He only doesn't get a B+/A- from me because his execution leaves to be desired and sometimes he does some moves to pander to the audience. Freakishly strong and resillient.)

Verbal skills: A (Not an A+ only because he tends to allienate his audience. But after so many years of staleness, the fact he can still be interesting from time to time is something not even Hogan could do, even if Hogan was way more over during his heyday of course. Hogan's also an A, not an A+, in my opinion)

Charisma/Presence: A (Too much of a divisive personality in the still good guy/bad guy world of Wrestling to get an A, but the crowds certainly react to him.)

Lesnar

Superstar look: A+ (Just look at the guy.)

In-ring: A (Lesnar is capable of hitting a guy with 16 german suplexes and keeping the match interesting. Might not be all that crisp (far from sloppy though), but his psychology in matches is really, really, REALLY underrated. The Triple H matches are the only blemish in his new run in my book. His matches have a way different feel than the rest of WWE's matches.)

Verbal skills: C (can work in close interview segments, piss poor in audience settings. Average.)

Charisma/Presence: A+ (The most legit guy in all of wrestling. All his credentials help him. He takes down two giants easily and you believe it. Just a monster.)

Ambrose

He's my pick for "A's across the board" guy. The most complete superstar WWE has right now. Really underutilized.

I'm kind of surprised that Lesnar only gets a C in the verbal skills department. I'm always entertained when he grabs the mic. He may not come off as the most articulate guy in the world, but that goes alone with his big, dumb, Frankenstein monster gimmick.

I still don't see how Roman Reigns's look is better than Daniel Bryan's or Seth Rollins's. I actually think Seth Rollins looks pretty damn cool with the two-toned hair, the beard, and the sweet belt buckle. I think it suits his character, which is a lot more clearly defined than Reigns's. Like I said, I don't even know if it's fair to judge his look when we barely know anything about him. Apparently it's just me that feels this way though, so I'd love for one of you guys to explain to me why he wears what looks like a weird cross between Navy Seal tactical gear and 90's JNCO jeans.

Well, let me defend myself then lol

I don't see Lesnar as a big, dumb monster. That's Harper to me. That's Rowan in-ring, despite the character he portrays outside trying to be wise, but that's a rant for another day. Brock is a monster more in a freak-athlete way than in a "OMG GODZILLA" way. I will say this, he's genuine, which is better than most guys in WWE. Still doesn't make him good in front of audiences though. He does entertain me in closed interview settings, when he seems more relaxed with talking.

Look-wise, I think yes, Reigns does look the part. He's handsome, he looks like he's tough, and he has a certain presence. He has that poster-boy thing. He's not overly muscular, but he doesn't look weak either. I see that look as being more beneficial to a wrestler over someone with the looks of Bryan. That's actually not a personal taste, but more of an analysis of what I think happens generally, as prettier people grab more attention of others in life, period.

I think Seth Rollins does a great job of making himself look the part, but he still lacks something to push him to the A grade. That something that Jeff Hardy had, you know. The facepaint, the armbands... His look is cool, but doesn't say much about him, in my opinion. A grades in look to me are guys who are able to grab my view on sight, just because of looks, even if I knew nothing else about them. I don't think Rollins is there. Reigns look is lazy as in WWE didn't want to change it for him to evolve, but it does say clearly "I am The Shield now". He embodies the silent force presentation pretty well with his look.

10 times out of 10, if I never knew Reigns, Bryan or Rollins, and I saw them on the street, the former two would grab my attention span.

I think I talked about looks enough though.

• 3 weeks later...

Superstar Look: A (in order to make it an A+ he needs an new and more original attire. If I could I would give him Muay Thai gladiator belt or trunks when the Roman Empire has dawn. He comes down to the ring with a custom bad ass Roman Gladiator like gear. One quote I would love to he him say is " I no longer need my Shield... I am a one man army")

In-ring ability: C+ ( he needs to add a whole lot moves if he's becoming the next baby face character. I am not saying his moves are dull, but you feel like you know what he is going to do next or are kinda limited.)

Promos: C- ( he's improving and getting more comfortable on the mic, but they pushed him so fast he can barely progress like he should)

Charisma: B+ ( he just need to keep the fans hyped more up until he does his traditional howl and spear, with the superman punch stance and moves being the exception)

Look/Fonz Factor: Easily a 9.5 or a 10

In Ring Ability: 4/10. Honestly though he's one of the worst workers in the WWE.

Promo Work: He's improving a lot. They should give him more freedom though and see if he can't do better with that

Character: terrible. He is still the Shield without Dean and Seth.

Looks: A+

-Obviously looks is the one thing you can't deny this man. We all know how Vince loves the big guys but that doesn't mean Roman doesn't deserve the spot that has been designated to him. It's not his fault he looks the way he does so considering that many fans don't want him in the top spot that's going to make him work 10x harder to show that he has earned the spot. WWE may have "given" him the spot and I use that term loosely BUT Roman is going to EARN the right to keep it.

In-ring ability: B+/C

-He isn't as terrible as everybody makes him out to be. I'm also willing to bet that many of his haters refuse to give him some credit and admit that he has definitely grown since he first started. Each and every week he's getting better and better. You can't say that in every single match he's in that somebody is carrying him or making him look strong. Granted he hasn't been wrestling as long as many others but for somebody who hasn't been doing this very long he could be much much worse.

Charisma/Mic Skills: B+

-This would be an A if Vince and those corny writers would stop writing his stuff. Some people can take a script read it and deliver it like it's their own. However, Roman isn't one of those people; well at least not right now. The man has charisma outside the ring so if WWE just lets him be himself I think he would be doing much better. Just because he's related to The Rock you can't expect him to deliver promos like him and I think that's what some people want when they see Roman cutting a promo. It's been seen that he can do some decent promos; for example the Raw after the Rumble and the one with Heyman and Daniel Bryan, Roman held his own and I as a fan of his was quite worried that Heyman would eat him alive.

Look: A+

Wrestling Ability: C

Charisma/Promos: B-

I don't think you can lump charisma & promo skill into one category. To be charismatic all you really have to be is believable. Reigns is believable. Hes like Orton or a Hardy, neither of those two are particularly good promo men, but they get over on presence alone. Reigns is like that.

Archived