Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AssaultDriver720

King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

Report from Cageside Seats

Still no word on whether or not Chris Jericho will be in Long Beach when New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) returns to the United States for Strong Style Evolved on March 25, but we learned today another name thats been on a lot of WWE fans lips lately will be.

Rey Mysterio appeared via the big screen at the New Beginning in Osaka show this morning (Feb. 10) to announce hes making his New Japan debut in California next month. He closed the promo by calling out Jushin Thunder Liger. Liger was on commentary, and accepted the challenge. The promotion has begun promoting their bout, so this is officially the first match booked for Strong Style Evolved.

Since his surprise appearance at Royal Rumble last month, theres been lots of talk about Mysterio returning to WWE. This announcement doesnt rule that out by any means, although it makes his showing up in The E between now and March 25 unlikely. Jericho appeared on Raw25 shortly after working Wrestle Kingdom, and Liger himself was on NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn in 2015 - so the companies can work together when they want/need to.

Well see how that evolves. As for Strong Style Evolved, the show was already sold out, so they didnt need the San Diegan to move tickets. But hell certainly help getting publicity ahead of and eyes on the broadcast of the show on AXS and New Japan World.

Thoughts?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rYpO6NFX1ys

Yooooo that sounds *censored*ing awesome!

I don't know what it is but I love Okada's matches and their slow start. Plus I loved the way SANADA was so slow in everything at the start. He is the tranquilingest boi. I loved Hiromu vs Ospreay too but the main was my MOTN. Top 5 matches of the year for me so far, for sure.

Its not the slow start that bothered me its the fact that Sanada was legit beating the breaks off of him and it took like two Rainmakers to end it. No idea why it bothered me, maybe because i just really wanted Sanada to win. The LHW title match was easily the best of the night but with those two dudes its just expected.

Wait, so is it Kota, Kenny and Chase vs. Cody, Hangman and Marty in one of them?

What's also interesting, is the Young Bucks teaming with Hangman Page on day 2.

I was rooting for SANADA too. For a second I thought he had it after that moonsault before he grabbed his knee.

I think it was around that time I started to believe in it too. The slow part lasted so long, I assumed we were reaching the end when it picked up the pact after 20 minutes or so, but it turned out that was just the start.

SANADA is my favourite guy in these early days of watching NJPW, so it was fun seeing him in the challenger-role.

Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that Unbreakable Michael Elgin has signed a new two year contract with NJPW that will last until the end of January 2019

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/50694/Michael-Elgin-Signs-Two-Year-Deal-With-NJPW/

Suprising they resigned him given the black mark against his name in the US at the moment, he's lucky to still have an career really

Edited by cuey82

As was previously reported, there were talks between Hulk Hogan and New Japan Pro Wrestling and The Bullet Club about possibly bringing Hogan in and making him an honorary member of Bullet Club, but the negotiations fell through, mainly because Hogan was asking for too much money.

According to a report from Sports Illustrated, Hogan's asking price just to appear at this year's Wrestle Kingdom was $750,000, and New Japan officials decided against it.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/50703/How-Much-Money-Hulk-Hogan-Reportedly-Asked-for-to/