King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

It really must have killed him to see Steen win the Universal Title.

But I think i remember reading Riddle was seen talking to the NJPW recruiter recently? Cobb in NJPW would be so dope though. Feel like there are so many gaijin in the company already though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really must have killed him to see Steen win the Universal Title.

But I think i remember reading Riddle was seen talking to the NJPW recruiter recently? Cobb in NJPW would be so dope though. Feel like there are so many gaijin in the company already though.

They are probably trying to build up their US roster for when they launch their US promotion next year.

Speaking of which, if New Japan wants to increase their presence in the US, would they ever do it at San Diego Comic-Con for next year?

Whatever the case is, I'm pretty sure Kenny fired back at Storm. Something along the lines of, "What's worse? Being successful at comedy in a wrestling match or being unsuccessful at being entertaining while trying to wrestle a serious match?"

Great to see. But...

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, it's a shame that Shibata and him couldn't switch places. Again...I know it's shitty to say, but I saw such a bright future for Shibata, and now it's gone. Whereas, Honma has been around for a long time, and could be working towards an eventual retirement anyway.

Either way, definitely nice to see someone who could have been paralyzed or even dead manage to come back.

• 2 weeks later...

It is shitty but *Censored* i miss Shibata.

Anyone ever use Tenso to order stuff from NJPW's site?

SHIBATA RETURNED!!! I mean, it was a few words, but he's okay :D

As for tenso, I use it from time to time. What did you wanna know?

It is shitty but *Censored* i miss Shibata.

Anyone ever use Tenso to order stuff from NJPW's site?

SHIBATA RETURNED!!! I mean, it was a few words, but he's okay :D

As for tenso, I use it from time to time. What did you wanna know?

He looked great too, the fact that he bumped in the ring just for the hell of it gives me hope that maybe, just maybe he can recover and return to the ring... so long as he stops with that *censored*ing headbutt before he gets himself killed with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Buckle up NJPW fans, because weve got a massive news update to drop on you. New Japan Pro Wrestling has revealed their lineup for the annual Destruction tour this September, culminating in nine championship matches spread across three major shows. We also have Kenny Omegas first defense of the IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship, the next opponent set to challenge Okadas historic reign, a major name heading to the United States, Naito defending the G1 briefcase and thats just for starters!

Destruction in Fukushima

September 10, 2017

Hanson & Raymond Row (War Machine) will defend the IWGP Tag Team titles against Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (Guerrillas of Destiny) and the team of Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (Killer Elite Squad) in a triple threat match.

EVIL, BUSHI & SANADA (Los Ingobernables de Japon) will defend the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team titles against Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero & Toru Yano.

Minoru Suzuki will defend the NEVER Openweight Championship against Michael Elgin in the main event.

Destruction in Hiroshima

September 16, 2017

Rocky Romero & Trent Baretta will team for Roppongi Vices final match, taking on Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi. The split was announced earlier this summer at the G1 specials in Long Beach. Trent will be moving up to the heavyweight division, but will still be a member of CHAOS.

Ricochet & Ryusuke Taguchi will defend their newly won IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team titles against Taichi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (Suzuki-Gun) in their first defense.

There will be a rematch of the triple threat tag team championship match. Whoever has the belts following the 9/10 Fukushima show will defend.

KUSHIDA defends the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship against El Desperado of Suzuki-Gun.

Hiroshi Tanahashi defends the IWGP Intercontinental Championship against Zack Sabre Jr. after the British technical wizard forced him to submit on two separate occasions during the G1 tour.

ROH Death Before Dishonor

September 22-23, 2017

NJPW has announced that Minoru Suzuki will be traveling to the United States to take place in the upcoming ROH Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view and the ROH Television tapings the following day. This will be Minorus first match in the U.S. in over 25 years.

KUSHIDA will also be working the Death Before Dishonor tour, likely defending the ROH World TV Championship. Both wrestlers will leave Japan shortly after the 9/16 Destruction in Hiroshima show, and obviously will not work the final night on 9/24.

Destruction in Kobe

September 24, 2017

Kenny Omega will defend the IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship against Juice Robinson in the main event. This will be Omegas first defense of the title.

There will be a second rematch of the tag team title triple threat match. Whoever holds the belts after the 9/16 event in Hiroshima will defend.

It looks like Kota Ibushi is sticking around NJPW for at least a little while longer, as he is scheduled for tag team matches throughout the entire Destruction tour this September.

King of Pro Wrestling

October 9, 2017

Kazuchika Okada will defend the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against EVIL in the main event. The Los Ingobernables star was only one of two men to defeat Okada during this years G1 tournament (the other being Kenny Omega), earning him a shot at the title in what will likely be the final defense of 2017. Should the champion retain his title, he will go on to surpass Shinya Hashimotos all-time record for longest reign on October 23rd.

As is customary, Tetsuya Naito will defend his G1 Climax briefcase and the rights to the Wrestle Kingdom main event against Tomohiro Ishii.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/877099-njpw-news-blast-destruction-lineup-revealed-omegas-first-us-title-defense-okadas-next-challenger-suzuki-heading-to-america-more

Kenny Omega recently appeared on Sean Waltmans X-Pac 12360, here are the highlights

Kenny Omega Shares His Reaction To Getting A Six Star Match Rating: Someone had said like Hey , Meltzer just gave you, you know the first ever six-star match and I am like ha-ha yeah right whatever You know its a five-star scale, right, (laughs) youd think it have to be something real special and hes like No, look its right here, so I was actually getting ready to go out and this dude or whatever passes me his cellphone and it had the write up with the six stars on it. And I was like if this isnt a typo thats pretty damn cool.

Kenny Omega Talks About Adam Coles NXT Debut: As friend to Adam Cole, I am not sure what I can say or cannot say but I know there was difficulty with that situation and Im just happy as a friend of his that he was finally able to freely make his television debut.

Kenny Omega on Skills Learned in Developmental: It wasnt pleasant while I was there doing it, but then I look back at it and it was an experience that helped shape the person that I am today, and I wouldnt trade the experience for anything in the world because it really helped me see more of what the business end of wrestling is like there (WWE). The highs and the lows, meeting some cool people The biggest thing that helped me moving forward were, Dave Taylor was there and he had some classes. Before going to developmental I had next to no fundamentals and that was sort of, doing cool chain wrestling and using a lot of holds and stuff. That was sort of the kick on the Indies. So when I had left developmental had I not had those fundamentals and been able to do those types of things, I wouldnt have been able to have a career in the Indies at all and I wouldnt have ended up in Japan either.

Singing John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt with Daniel Bryan During a Match: We started singing it together and the lightning bolt struck. Im like come on Brian we got to do this. And hes like What?! Youre kidding me? I was like No. We have to Listen hear me out here Brian. Youre pretty much known as the guy that has these awesome matches with everyone. People literally call you the Best in the World and sure we could go out there today and we could have a pretty darn good match but then at the end of the day whats it going to be? Its just going to be another good match that you had. Who cares? So lets do something memorable. And hes like Okay. Im listening. Its John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. Well what does that even mean? Off the top of my head I sort of laid out this groundwork for how it would be placed into this match. And he was like, I think its going to be real fun, but man I got a Steven Regal in the back of my head telling me right now this is the worst idea Ive ever heard in my life.

Some of Kenny Omegas Favorite Matches Fans May Never See: Some of my favorites, we would have this thing called a Rock-N-Roll Death Match and its some of my proudest work there (DDT) but can never be shown because of copyright factors. You wrestle a match and at random music would randomly quote unquote play and you have to stop what youre doing and dance. It sounds like a simple idea but the way that we worked in the dancing into the spots and the types of dances depended on the song. I thought it was really creative and I thought a lot of people would like it and not shit all over it You could put generic music over the music that we used but for example, when we would wrestle and then the Macarena would turn on it would have to be the Macarena because were doing the Macarena know what I mean?

Comedy Wrestling VS Serious Wrestling: A lot of people think that comedy is sort of a cop out to not wrestling seriously but I actually would argue that comedy is much more difficult than wrestling seriously because you have to be creative in almost everything that you do if you want the comedy to make sense within the realms of pro wrestling But to work a good comedy match. To work with a doll and make people believe; to make people bite on the falsies; to make people laugh or say you know this is entertaining; to want them to show their friends, thats tough to do. And when people ask well arent you embarrassed? Arent you ashamed of yourself? No Im not. Its actually some of my most proudest work.

Kenny Omega vs Daryl (Hiromus pet cat): It honestly would be the same exact situation as facing the girl (9yr Old), or Yoshihiko (Blow-Up Doll), where the crow would believe and cheer for Daryl. There is nothing the Daryl could ever do that would make him a heel in that match. I dont think I would ever do a singles. But if it was for example, myself and the Young Bucks vs Hiromu, Naito, and Daryl, I think it could work. I honestly think it could work. Even just saying that right now all these cool ideas are popping into my head on how we could make it work and actually make it believable as well.

Kenny Omega Talks about how hes not fit to be a leader of the bullet club: Im not sure if Im fit to be a leader anymore, right now. That is just because its to a degree in Japan where if youre shown working hard, youre just going to start getting over. People are going to love it, people are going to love you. Youre giving your heart, youre giving your soul and there is almost nowhere youd be a full heel anymore. That is the situation Ive fallen in, being in every big show main event since Wrestle Kingdom this year. Theres really nothing I can do, aside from purposely not trying. I honestly feel even though in America the bullet club presence is really almost like a babyface entity. People love repping The Bullet club, they love putting up the Too Sweet. In Japan, I know for a fact they would prefer us to be a straight heel unit. We do try to work that way into our matches, no matter what we do, no matter the drastic things we do leading up to the big matches if you perform and you have a great match people are going to love you anyway

The Rebirth of Kenny Omega: I wasnt sure where I would go from here (after leaving developmental) Do I even want to continue with wrestling? What is it that I want to do if I continue it? I made the decision that I wanted to be myself. Instead of stressing about all these characters that I thought of, drew up & suggest to WWE Office & Bill DeMott. Which wasnt me, just ideas I thought of might make the company money. I was going to be myself, try and have fun with it. If people dont like me, well they dont like me, then Ill just disappear & its over. If they do like me, then Im going to enjoy what I am doing again, fall in love with wrestling all over again or keep loving wrestling. That in itself hopefully shines through & believe in the character that is Kenny Omega that is me.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/505031-kenny-omega-daryl-takahashi/

Full interview:

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny Omega will miss most of the upcoming Destruction tour with a left meniscus injury, but he won’t miss the tour entirely.

New Japan made the announcement early this morning that he would be out for a majority of the tour. They didn’t mention any further details regarding the injury, but did mention that his IWGP United States title defense against Juice Robinson is still scheduled for September 24th in Kobe.

Leo Tonga is set to take his place in the upcoming tour. He is the brother of both Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa, as well as the son of Haku. He’s been training at the New Japan Dojo since the start of the year, and before that was training at the Dudley Boyz’ Team 3D Academy. Standing at 6’8, it would make him the tallest member of the New Japan roster.

His first match on the tour will be on the September 7th Road to Destruction show in Korakuen Hall, where he will team with the Guerrillas of Destiny to take on War Machine and Juice Robinson.

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/kenny-omega-injures-knee-still-set-kobe-destruction-show-242331

Big look for "little brother" Leo Tonga though.

Archived