King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Tomoaki Honma’s health is continuing to improve. He suffered a cervical vertebrae injury back in March during a multi-man tag team match, taking a Hangman’s DDT from Jado. Honma underwent surgery to repair some of the damage and has been doing physical rehab. Right now, he can lightly jog, but there are hand coordination issues that he still needs help with; he still needs assistance at things such as pouring water or brushing his teeth.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/tomoaki-honmas-health-reportedly-improving/

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Katsuyori Shibata is now said to be in good spirits, but the overall picture hasn’t changed; he probably will never wrestle again, and there is talk of him staying with the company and working full-time as a coach for New Japan. Shibata collapsed after the NJPW SAKURA GENESIS event in April, where he faced Kazuckika Okada in a grueling 38-minute match; it was later revealed that he suffered a subdural hematoma. During that match, Shibata hit a shoot head butt on Okada, causung the injury, which was said to be from a combination of the head butt, dehydration and exhaustion.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/katsuyori-shibata-unlikely-to-wrestle-ever-again/

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega recent penned a piece on Sports Illustrated to give the fans an update on his health and hype his upcoming match against Kazuchika Okada at Dominion 6.11 in Osaka, Japan.

Here are the highlights.

On his current health:

Okada and I had the most recent Best of the Super Juniors tour off (partially), and its done wonders for my health both physically and mentally. Even though it has only been a few weeks, Ive made improvements to my physique, healed various nagging injuries, and found new sources of inspiration for future matches. As important as the rematch with Okada is, Im always thinking of my narrative for the entire year and store ideas or story elements in my head for future use. At the end of the day, Im a professional wrestler, so there will always be a ton of details beyond my control. Thats where having ideas and ways to tweak unfavorable situations comes in handy.

On having a different match with Okada than Wrestle Kingdom 11:

It would actually be easy to copy the old formula for an easy 4.5+ match rating, but Ive never been one to follow patterns for the sake of a standalone rating and/or reaction. I think this is why Im especially proud of my year in 2016. It was an incredible journey that I never could have prepared for, and forced me to grow and evolve on the fly. In a sense, all of my supporters and NJPWs supporters took the journey with me, which made it feel extra special.

You can read the full article here.

Interesting Omega Statistic

Kenny Omega is once again vying for his first reign as IWGP Champion, which he was unable to accomplish against Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 11. If Omega is able to defeat Okada for the championship, he would become the first ever Canadian-born wrestler to become the IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

In addition, he would become only the second person to win both the IWGP Heavyweight and Jr. Heavyweight Championships. This has only been accomplished by Nobuhiko Takada, who was the second person to win the Jr. title in 1986, and won the Heavyweight title 10 years later in 1996.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/847463-kenny-omega-gives-update-on-health-facing-okada-at-dominion-6-11-interesting-omega-statistic

Who woulda thought Ospreay would get a 5 star singles match before the King? But damn has he come into his own now, undeniably one of the absolute best in the world. This has been a great year for him.

I'm really happy that Kushida won the belt. And really salty that Tanahasi did. I wanted Juice to win the IC title off Naito. Tanahashi is just one of those guys that I don't care about...also not happy about the Bucks winning, because I hate their overrated asses. Indifferent to G.O.D. winning, because I like both teams.

*censored*ing speechless. Would anyone be mad at 7 stars? I sure as shit wouldn't. At least 6.5.

The storytelling alone was some shit I've never seen before. Unbelievable. And then of course the action to back it up. You just can't beat it.

I watched it in English though, and the guy that's not Kevin Kelly is mad annoying.

I'm excited for Cody's title match simply because his run outside of WWE has been quite underwhelming and he really needs this. I think he needs a good showing to really earn the respect beyond his name and WWE background.

Guest Fight Me.

Yeah, I miss Steve Corino on the English commentary. He was silly but I think I was one of the few who didn't mind that lol. Plus I thought he was kinda helpful during post-match promos whenever they needed to be translated.

Dominion was an amazing show. I really wanted the Okada/Omega to end like it did but I'm *censored*ing pissed we're getting Okada vs Cody at Long Beach, I wanted Kenny to win the title there. Bit annoyed that Yoshi Hashi challenged Suzuki instead of Ishii, too.

Guest Fight Me.

I love Kushida, but...

I feel like he's always the Jr. Heavyweight Champion or at least a contender for it. I wish they'd change it up a bit with him, go after the Jr. tag titles with someone or even the 6 man tag titles. I think he has to bulk up to go after the other singles titles though, right? At least that's what I remember Kenny doing when he wanted to go after the IC title.

I love Kushida, but...

I feel like he's always the Jr. Heavyweight Champion or at least a contender for it. I wish they'd change it up a bit with him, go after the Jr. tag titles with someone or even the 6 man tag titles. I think he has to bulk up to go after the other singles titles though, right? At least that's what I remember Kenny doing when he wanted to go after the IC title.

I legit wanted him to lose the finals of the BOSJ vs Ospreay and announce he'd bulk up and be on G1. The matches he could have with guys like Naito, Ishii, Suzuki,... man! He's one of the best wrestlers in the world, regardless of weight class, imo.

Lmao, I just realised Tanahashi vs Billy Gunn will be Ace vs Ass.

Archived