King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Japan Pro Wrestling has announced the official brackets for the 2017 Best of the Super Juniors tournament, which kicks off at Korakuen Hall on Wednesday, May 17th.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, the Best of the Super Juniors is a long-running tournament that dates back to 1988. It is similar to the annual G1 Climax, but features only junior heavyweight wrestlers from all around the world. Previous winners include Jushin Thunder Liger, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Koji Kanemoto, Finn Balor and Kota Ibushi, and has been instrumental in launching numerous careers. There will be two blocks, with eight wrestlers in each. Each wrestler will challenge every opponent in his block for points, and the winner of each block will face off in the finals to crown the greatest junior heavyweight wrestler in the world.

The tournament starts on May 17th and will conclude with the finals on June 3rd. For the first time, Wrestlezone is excited to announce that we will have complete and exclusive live coverage of every single show in this years tournament, which will all be broadcast live through New Japan World! Well be announcing specific dates and high profile matches as soon as they are made available, plus stay tuned as we break down the brackets and more in the coming weeks.

Here are the official brackets:

BLOCK A

Jushin Thunder Liger

Ricochet

Dragon Lee

Will Ospreay

Marty Scurll

Taichi

TAKA Michinoku

Hiromu Takahashi

BLOCK B

Tiger Mask

Ryusuke Taguchi

KUSHIDA

Volador Jr.

ACH

Yoshinobu Kanemaru

El Desperado

Bushi

The A Block is completely stacked this year, and will be almost impossible to predict. The stand-outs right away are 2016 winner Will Ospreay and 2014 winner Ricochet, juniors champion Hiromu Takahashi, and Jushin Thunder Liger could be a wild card as this is his last year competing in the tournament. The B Block looks to be a platform to set up KUSHIDA into the finals, but its very possible this could be the year to elevate ACH or Bushi.

This means we will be seeing the Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay rematch, as well as a return to the recent Ricochet vs. Hiromu match that was an instant classic. This will be the official New Japan debut of Ring of Honor World TV Champion Marty Scurll, so many of these matches for him will be fresh and could be very, very good. Well have more on the brackets and matches very soon, so stay tuned!

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/835525-njpw-announces-brackets-for-2017-best-of-the-super-juniors-tournament-will-ospreay-ricochet-ach-marty-scurll-taka-michinoku-more-confirmed

Just watched Wrestling Dontaku.

MOTN was Kenny vs Ishii. Great match as you would expect. The NEVER 6 man tag match was also really good. The main event was by far Okada's worst single match this year and even though that was to be expected I thought the match would've been a bit better than it was.

So I've been thinking... if Okada vs Omega II does indeed happen at Dominion would anyone here be opposed to it being a 60 minute time limit draw? I feel like Okada vs Omega needs to happen at one of the Long Beach shows and I'm not a big fan of Omega beating Okada at Dominion and then beating him again in Long Beach... I don't know, if anyone could pull a 60 min draw in today's wrestling world it would be those two.

PS: Suzuki killed Kitamura after his match, dude just punched him full force in the jaw, holy shit.

About BOSJ, the more I think about it, the more I want the finals to be Hiromu vs KUSHIDA with Takahashi beating him once again. Have KUSHIDA lose his first match or just start off badly and somehow make it to the finals only for Hiromu to beat his ass again and challenge Ospreay or something for Dominion.

Kenny Omega recently spoke with Justin Barrasso for Sports Illustrated Extra Mustard‘s Week In Wrestling; you can read a few excerpts below:

Kenny Omega comments on his return to Ring of Honor for War of the Worlds, if he has a goal to become ROH World Champion:

“There certainly is a difference in psychology, but that clear difference makes it even more exciting to return after all these months. In terms of being ROH champion, it’s never been a viable goal since I’ve only ever been in title contention once in my career. If I were ever in a position to appear more for ROH, I would accept nothing less than to be recognized as the best – which would mean having to challenge the top dogs/champions.”

Omega on the prestige of the IWGP Championship, with only having one champion in 2017 while WWE has already had 7 combined World and Universal champions:

“That’s a tough question. Both companies approach the business a little differently, and thus you’re going to get different types of treatment towards their respective titles.

“Generally speaking, WWE is show business and there will be times when the belt is nothing but a prop to advance TV storylines. NJPW likes to use its heavyweight belt to feature its style pro wrestling at the highest level. Matches in New Japan are generally longer and theatrics kept to a minimum. Also, the idea of having a single strong champion goes back years and years and years, and NJPW is very tradition-heavy.”

Omega comments on tweeting about Seth Rollins debuting a new finishing maneuver similar to his Rain Trigger:

“If he was inspired by my match to add that to his arsenal, it’s a great compliment. A finishing move is an important part of one’s character–and sometimes success. So for him, being a top guy in WWE, it’s cool that he chose something that I’d used earlier in the year during my match with Okada.

“As for the tweet, a lot of guys don’t know that I used to travel with Rollins all of the time in ROH. We never became the closest of friends, but we’re definitely cool with each other and the mutual respect has always been there. If I was legitimately angry, I’d just flat out say so. I’m not one to shy away from speaking my mind.”

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/835805-kenny-omega-comments-on-his-roh-return-the-prestige-of-the-iwgp-championship-seth-rollins-new-finisher

Guest Fight Me.

Shame, though him setting his eyes on Goto's Never Openweight Championship a while ago should've been a sign of him not being a junior anymore. I guess.

New Japan Pro Wrestling has released all of the cards for the upcoming Best of the Super Juniors 24 tournament, which feature a bevy of high profile matches over the two week period.

The tournament will kick off on May 17th at Korakuen Hall with Hiromu Takahashi taking on Dragon Lee in the main event. Those two have had killer matches both in Mexico and Japan, and it seems likely theyll continue that trend on opening day.

Another spectacular rematch from the past year pits Will Ospreay and Ricochet against one another on the second night, also to take place at Korakuen Hall. Their match in last year's tournament became the talk of the pro wrestling world in its immediate fallout, with them having more standout bouts in other promotions since.

Other live shows will be on May 29th, with Ryusuke Taguchi taking on KUSHIDA, and the finals, which are to take place live at Yoyogi 2nd Gymnasium on June 3rd. Its not known if the June 1st show will be live or taped, as NJPW has not put out their complete June schedule yet.

NJPW previously revealed the participants and blocks for the tournament.

The tournament lineups are as follows --

May 17th (Korakuen Hall, live on NJPW World)

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Taka Michinoku

Tiger Mask vs. Volador Jr.

Ricochet vs. Taichi

ACH vs. BUSHI

KUSHIDA vs. El Desperado

Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Hiromu Takahashi vs. Dragon Lee

May 18th (Korakuen Hall, live on NJPW World)

Taichi vs. Taka Michinoku

Dragon Lee vs. Marty Scurll

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Hiromu Takahashi

Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay

May 20th (Mie, VOD)

ACH vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Tiger Mask vs. KUSHIDA

El Desperado vs. BUSHI

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Volador Jr.

May 21st (Shizuoka, VOD)

Will Ospreay vs. Taka Michinoku

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Marty Scurll

Dragon Lee vs. Taichi

Ricochet vs. Hiromu Takahashi

May 22nd (Korakuen Hall, live on NJPW World)

Volador Jr. vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Tiger Mask vs. ACH

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. El Desperado

KUSHIDA vs. BUSHI

May 23rd (Tochigi, VOD)

Taka Michinoku vs. Marty Scurll

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Will Ospreay

Taichi vs. Hiromu Takahashi

Ricochet vs. Dragon Lee

May 25th (Ishikawa, VOD)

Tiger Mask vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Volador Jr. vs. El Desperado

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. BUSHI

KUSHIDA vs. ACH

May 26th (Nagano, VOD)

Taichi vs. Marty Scurll

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Ricochet

Taka Michinoku vs. Hiromu Takahashi

Dragon Lee vs. Will Ospreay

May 27th (Ibaraki, VOD)

ACH vs. El Desperado

Volador Jr. vs. BUSHI

Tiger Mask vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

KUSHIDA vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

May 28th (Gunma, VOD)

Ricochet vs. Taka Michinoku

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Dragon Lee

Will Ospreay vs. Taichi

Marty Scurll vs. Hiromu Takahashi

May 29th (Korakuen Hall, live on NJPW World)

Tiger Mask vs. El Desperado

BUSHI vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Volador Jr. vs. ACH

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. KUSHIDA

May 31st (Osaka, VOD)

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Taichi

Ricochet vs. Marty Scurll

Dragon Lee vs. Taka Michinoku

Will Ospreay vs. Hiromu Takahashi

June 1st (Aichi, To be determined)

Tiger Mask vs. BUSHI

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. ACH

KUSHIDA vs. Volador Jr.

Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. El Desperado

June 3rd (Yoyogi 2nd Gymnasium, live on NJPW World with English commentary)

Block A winner vs. Block B winner

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/big-rematches-highlight-njpw-best-super-juniors-schedule-235106?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, AXS and New Japan closed the deal for how the Long Beach shows will be covered; an announcement will be made on May 18th. All indications point to the July 1st show airing live at 8PM ET.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/njpw-axs-tv-close-deal-to-air-july-events/

Guest Fight Me.

So, War of the Worlds is blacked out on NJPW world? Bleh.

Think it's just meant for Japan right now, but I'm sure we'll get it shortly lol. Don't think ROH would be too happy if their PPVs were just available on NJPW World immediately, would definitely bring down PPV buys for them.

I highly doubt NJPW will only do japan exclusive stuff right now considering that they want to break into the US market. It'd be very counter productive.

Screw people who say that Bullet Club is like nWo "at the end". BC is nothing like that.

Only member who ever sucked was Bone Soldier...there's nothing wrong with a stable having a shitload of members as long as they make sense. And they all do.

Chase Owens?

Screw people who say that Bullet Club is like nWo "at the end". BC is nothing like that.

Only member who ever sucked was Bone Soldier...there's nothing wrong with a stable having a shitload of members as long as they make sense. And they all do.

Yeah and plus everyone's doing their own thing. I like how Bad Luck Fale challenged Okada for the title. Without Kenny getting mad since he's the leader.

Chase Owens?

Hey wait a minute I like Chase

Archived