King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently he's still signed with NJPW til Jan 31st

Only a couple weeks away, though...not really any kind of assurance.

Like I said...I could see him being like "You people really are gullible, I just told you I wasn't going anywhere." ... because that would definitely fit with his personality. But, who knows. Guess we'll know by the end of the month. Maybe after he said what he said about WWE, they contacted him, and were like "sky's the limit...come have free reign of your career".

That WK11 performance got him super over. Okada just sparked another feud so I see him popping back up in a few months after that is over and finally winning the IWGP Title.

Pretty weird to go to the WWE after just saying how can anyone be satisfied being "A Cog in the WWE Machine" and saying that the WWE Titles are hot potatos with even your neighbors having a title reign. Maybe he's showing even after you shit on them they'll still be begging for you.

Also worth noting...

Maybe the rumors of O'Reilly and Cole being WWE bound are true, and maybe that helped influence Omega as well. Of course that's all speculation. Either way, I think the wrestling industry is certainly in a boom period right now. Some interesting things happening...pretty much everywhere (except TNA...lolz).

Kenny Omega was interviewed by Sports Illustrated after his incredible match at Wrestle Kingdom 11 against Kazuchika Okada. During the interview he had some harsh words for the WWE Championship title, saying that it currently means nothing based on its current booking.

Here is what he said about the WWE Championship:

“This IWGP title means more with me than any WWE championship. The WWE belt means nothing, it means absolutely nothing. They pass around that belt like a hot potato. I probably have a neighbor on my block who held that belt at one point. There is no prestige to that belt whatsoever”

Omega also talks about supposedly turning down WWE offers and doing things that AJ Styles, Finn Balor and other stars have never done in New Japan. He also says that he wants to move New Japan Pro Wrestling forward in 2017, taking it to new heights.

Kenny finished it off by saying:

“I want to take New Japan into a new world of wrestling so there is at least one other option to the monopolized world that WWE has created”

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/01/04/kenny-omega-kazuchika-okada-wrestle-kingdom-11-interview-comments-0

I find it funny that Juice Robinson went from losing to new NXT guys to losing to a new guy in NJPW.

Juice's career is actually doing great.

Let me guess...you watched his one match at WK11 and deduced that he was a failure because he didn't win? Well, you're wrong. He's pretty over with the Japanese crowd, and is definitely headed places now that he's paid his dues.

Juice actually really impressed me against Cody. I didnt know he could be that good.

Also.....Cody. For real thats his name now? I love the American Nightmare but him just being Cody is lame.

WWE owns the rights to Cody Rhodes.

The thing with Cody is weird, but it tends to work in Japan, tbh...they dig the whole "one name" thing over there. If he was going to do it anywhere, it's better that he does it there. It was stranger in ROH and TNA, tbh...

Also, he seems to have enough rhetoric surrounding his character with the stuff like "where we're going, we don't need Rhodes", and "the Star that left them in the Dust", etc. He's doing a good job of making the single name work, despite it feeling really weird to begin with...

The idea is that he is proud of the Rhodes legacy, and is not willing to abandon it, so he will go with his first name only...so as not to turn his back on the family legacy that is rightfully his. Makes perfect sense, and is kind of the basis of his whole character at the moment. Sometimes he lipsyncs "Rhodes" to the camera after he says "Cody"...

I dig it.

Not sure why so many people have a problem with it, despite it sounding a bit "off"...because when you consider why he does it, it really adds to his character and makes him a much richer performer.

Well that should derail the Omega to WWE rumors.

Or...you know, it's just a poster, and is subject to change. If his contract expires at the end of January, then there is certainly no obligation for him to partake in an event that occurs in March. I don't see how it changes anything...

@Lunchbox: I wouldn't say that yet. Hasn't WWE been allowing people fo finish prior commitments?

But honestly I can't call it. I think there's a strong chance of him staying but selfishly I hope what Gen said about WWE offering him free reign being the case. He's the hottest thing in wrestling right now. He has the power.

The idea is that he is proud of the Rhodes legacy, and is not willing to abandon it, so he will go with his first name only...so as not to turn his back on the family legacy that is rightfully his. Makes perfect sense, and is kind of the basis of his whole character at the moment. Sometimes he lipsyncs "Rhodes" to the camera after he says "Cody"...

I dig it.

Not sure why so many people have a problem with it, despite it sounding a bit "off"...because when you consider why he does it, it really adds to his character and makes him a much richer performer.

Oh ok i had no idea he worked into part of his gimmick. If thats the case im cool with it.

Archived