King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an effort to compete with WWE, New Japan owner Takaaki Kidani announced Thursday that the company will be bringing back the Super J Cup this year, a one-night junior heavyweight tournament that is clearly the company's shot at WWE's cruiserweight tournament on the WWE Network.

The Super J Cup, which has occurred five times previously, the most recent being in 2009, will take place on 8/21 at the Ariake Coliseum. New Japan, Ring of Honor, CMLL, Pro Wrestling NOAH, Dragon Gate, Suzuki-Gun, Zero-One and K-Dojo all will participate.

At today's New Japan show at the Ota Ward Gym, NOAH president Naomichi Marufuji and K-Dojo's Taka Michinoku appeared to say wrestlers from their companies would be competing.

They also announced the revival of the Tiger Mask television cartoon, which was a famous series in Japan during the 1970s. New Japan wrestlers will be characters in the new series which the company hopes will open up their audience more to kids. When making the annoucement, Kidani even made a remark that this is something WWE won't be able to do.

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/new-japan-pro-wrestling-brings-back-super-j-cup-208646?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I was literally thinking about how cool a new Super J Cup would be yesterday. Should be good although I wish M-Pro were one of the companies sending wrestlers but i can't complain, hopefully the booking is good and not predictable.

Former WWE Superstar and current NJPW Superstar Yoshi Tatsu will be cleared to return to in-ring competition next month. Tatsus neck was broken in December of 2014 in a match with AJ Styles. The following statement was issued to PWInsider.com:

After being sidelined with an injury towards the end of 2014, former WWE Superstar and New Japan Pro wrestling star Yamamoto (fka Yoshi Tatsu) will be cleared to return to the ring in April and is now accepting bookings. He is based in Los Angeles. If you are interested in booking him for an upcoming event, please contact Brian Wittenstein at brianwittenstein@gmail.com. Other talents available for bookings through Brian include Kip James (fka Badd Ass Billy Gunn), Teddy Long, and Crime Time (Shad Gaspard and JTG).

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/682049-yoshi-tatsu-nearing-njpw-in-ring-return-finn-balor-introduces-bayley-to-his-parents-photo#LB3drKu9hBVDYWEC.99

Glad Naito won the cup^^

Was fearing they would give Goto another win, just to justify him getting another title shot.

New debut...

So...uhm...Camacho is the newest member of the Bullet Club. I hope he and Tamaa will have a good chemistry. Because I want Tama to be successfull so bad :(

NJPW INVASION ATTACK MATCHES ANNOUNCED

New Japan Pro Wrestling tonight announced four matches for its next major show, Invasion Attack, which takes place on 4/10 at Sumo Hall in Tokyo.

The show is the company's biggest since the Tokyo Dome event on 1/4. It will start a 3 a.m. Eastern and midnight Pacific time late on Saturday night in the U.S.

Tetsuya Naito made it clear after winning the New Japan Cup that he was challenging Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP heavyweight title in the main event. An angle for that match was already shot at the end of Saturday's New Japan show in Aomori.

Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe will be defending the IWGP tag team titles against the Guerrilas of Destiny, a new tag team of Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa, who is the former Camacho in WWE and Micah in TNA. Roa would be the brother of Tonga.

Already announced last week is Kushida vs. Will Ospreay for the IWGP jr. title in Ospreay's Japanese debut.

Also announced was Ricochet & Matt Sydal defending the IWGP jr. tag team titles against Rocky Romero & Baretta.

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/invasion-attack-matches-announced-209301?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Naito. Also can't wait to see Will vs. KUSHIDA.

New Japan Pro Wrestling star Hiroshi Tanahashi, who will be working with Ring of Honor as part of ROH and NJPWs new relationship, recently spoke with Justin Barrasso of Sports Illustrateds Extra Mustard. Below are some interview highlights:

On Shinsuke Nakamura signing with WWE:

I was very surprised he would go to WWE, said Tanahashi. I cant replace him, and nobody can be like him. Nakamura is an original.

Has WWE reached out to him?:

WWE has never reached out to me, said Tanahashi. I watch WWE sometimes. They are goodthey do not move too fast. But there has been no contact. Im happy in New Japan. I have loyalty, and I love New Japan. That is all.

His goal in ROH:

I want the ROH championship, said Tanahashi, who is a seven-time IWGP champion. I want Jay Lethals title. When I get his belt, Ill defend it in the U.S. and Ill defend it on all the big shows in New Japan.

Criticism of ROHs in-ring style:

?The ROH style is too fast, said Tanahashi. Everything is too fast, too quick. This one, next one, bam. You need to give the audience time to cheer. The audience cannot think when it is too fast. I hate when the style is too fast. Theres no limit when that happens.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/685019-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-nakamura-to-wwe-wanting-the-roh-championship-criticizes-rohs-fast-style-has-wwe-contacted-him-more

Full interview: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/03/15/new-japan-hiroshi-tanahashi-wwe-ring-honor

Eh. ROH & NJPW's style aren't the same, but it's very similar. Especially if a lot of guys from ROH work in Japan, you're bound to get the same types of matches. Maybe he just doesn't like the style? But NJPW definitely has it too.

I would love to see Tanahashi hold the ROH world title.

It's interesting that he said the ROH style is too fast. I think New Japan's main event style is a little different, but they're still pretty similar. I'd be curious to hear him talk about the Jr. Heavyweight multiman cluster*censored*s.

Archived