King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wasn't intended to be a long-term president. It was a transitional thing and he has already been replaced. It's pretty meaningless. I'd be more concerned about Ibushi and his lover, Kenny Omega.

Ibushi will probably continue to have occasional matches in NJPW, but now he definitely won't be getting the massive push he should have gotten. They should have pulled the trigger on him a long time ago. They really need him and should have done their best to make him feel appreciated. I know you can't push someone sidelined with a serious injury, but they had almost a year to make it happen and the best they could do was give him a couple of big wins in the G1. That's too little, too late. He probably should have beaten Nakamura to begin with. I know people will think I'm exaggerating because we're so used to NJPW building stars very slowly. But when your talent is getting poached left and right (supposedly they knew Nakamura was planning to ditch them a long time ago), it's time to shake things up. The biggest problem with NJPW is that they have too much reverence for the veterans. I know that their fans are perfectly fine with seeing Tanahashi win over and over again. I know that they still love him and the other legends, but the company has to start thinking about the future. They have to get fans used to new challengers being credible threats to those guys. They finally said "oh shit, better make a star out of Kenny Omega over night", but now that Ibushi's role in the company will be much smaller, it might not even matter. I can't imagine them booking Omega to be on the same level as Okada or Tanahashi. And now that his dream of feuding with his good friend on the big stage is probably dead, I can't imagine him having many reasons to stick around. He has said that a certain company has been trying to lure him away for a while now. NJPW better make sure that Omega feels like he's being used to his fullest potential real quick. I hope he was one of the guys that signed those new, multi-year contracts.

Guest Fight Me.

Think it's 7 bucks actually. Just make sure you use Chrome when signing up/using it so it translates everything. Besides that, it's not that different than the WWE Network. My cousin just got it again for the Honor Rising shows so I'll be seeing NJPW a lot more again.

Can you watch it on the phone? Was gonna sign up a few weeks ago but I can't work the app.

Anyways, NJPW needs to do something about this music rights BS. Don't know how many entrances have to be *censored*ing muted. What happened to the dubbed themes? Makes them look cheap.

Can you watch it on the phone? Was gonna sign up a few weeks ago but I can't work the app.

Anyways, NJPW needs to do something about this music rights BS. Don't know how many entrances have to be *censored*ing muted. What happened to the dubbed themes? Makes them look cheap.

Yes you can watch it on your phone, for android there's actually an app for it, for iPhone just through the browser

Also, I've got a question, is there a button to get the commentary or something? Was wondering why Honor Rising didn't have commentary for me.

Japanese TV channel Samurai TV had the rights for the actual broadcast with commentary, That's why you got a none commentary version on NJPW World.

New Japan Pro Wrestling star and IWGP Intercontinental Champion Kenny Omega recently spoke to Rolling Stone‘s Aaron Oster. Omega talks about what his life has been like since all of the recent NJPW talent departures, plans for this year including the Bullet Club’s future, what he expects to do in 2016, why he’s been calling out The New Day and much more. You can read a few excerpts below:

Kenny Omega talks about what the last two months have been like with all of the NJPW departures:

I don’t want to sound clichéd, but it has been a roller-coaster ride. We, as in myself and the Young Bucks, always get together before the big shows and grab a bite to eat, and this news hit that our friends and co-workers were suddenly leaving the company. It was going to pretty much change the entire of face of New Japan Pro-Wrestling going forward. I had been stuck in the junior division, and I had been wanting more than that since I had joined NJPW. Suddenly, here was an opportunity not only to seize that, but to have a little bit more say in everything. For the longest time, there was a hierarchy. They were taking the advice from the top guys, and had been doing a real old-guard style of booking. I thought maybe with all these guys leaving, they would be open to new ideas. The Young Bucks and myself are always full of ideas. So even though it was sad that our friends were leaving, we looked at it as a great opportunity to make 2016 our year.

Did he ever think about leaving NJPW to go somewhere else?

It’s funny that you mention that. As time went by, a little promotion called NXT was building their ranks, and slowly but surely they had built the strongest roster of any promotion on the planet. The reason I wanted to be part of New Japan at first was because I truly felt they had the best wrestling on the planet. Not only that, but they were willing to put money into it to try to go worldwide, and try to get their voices heard. They wanted to show that they were the King of Sports. They wanted their matches to be 15, 20, 30 minutes long. They didn’t want quick 5-7 minute matches. While I’m still capable, I wanted to show an athletic, entertaining style with New Japan. Eventually, I think everyone sees themselves in WWE, and sees themselves doing the entertainment thing. But at this point in time, I wanted to show the best of both worlds, the strong style with the North American entertainment stuff, which I also love.

Almost everyone works on one-year contracts in New Japan. As that time approached, I found myself wondering how much more I could prove by doing these 12-minute junior matches on the undercard. If I had to do another year of not feeling like I was contributing something positive, I really felt like maybe I should go somewhere else where I could contribute, not just for a company, but for pro wrestling as a whole. I was heavily considering going to NXT. There have been continuous efforts on WWE’s part over the past couple years to have me return there. So I considered it, until an opportunity arose to step into that spotlight in Japan and be the guy.

Does he think the Elite will replace Bullet Club, or become an extension of the group?

The Bullet Club has sort of become this pop-culture phenomenon. You don’t even have to like wrestling or follow our product, and you can wear a Bullet Club shirt and it’s cool. I can understand how New Japan wants to keep up with that. That’s their cash cow. If we are still the Bullet Club, in parentheses, then I’m OK with that. But I want everyone to know that myself, Nick and Matt Jackson are The Elite. I want to push that hard, especially this year. There’s a place you can go to watch the most ridiculous and entertaining stuff in pro wrestling, and it’s The Elite. With the Bullet Club, we had all sorts of wrestlers come and go. Some were good, some were bad, some were god-awful. Now, there has to be more of a distinction of who is doing what. Which is why, in this transition period, the guys who are really keeping this thing afloat are The Elite.

Why he called out WWE’s The New Day

Woods and I have sort of had an online feud for quite some time. I had always been revered as the gaming wrestler. Out of nowhere, Woods appeared and now he has a YouTube channel. If I’m to be honest, I think that’s awesome, but there’s grounds for a rivalry there. I’m the gaming guy from Japan that’s a heel. He’s the gaming guy from America and he’s appealing to a different crowd of people. We have that mutual connection of loving fighting games though, specifically Street Fighter. So we just had to ramp it up and change gears a bit by actually filming videos together. Fans really enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. We are hoping for it to come to a head and have an actual grudge match by playing the latest Street Fighter.

In a perfect world, we’re not just going to play video games against each other; we’re going to try to have a match. Or at least myself and the Young Bucks are pushing for it. We really meant it when we said, “Our [NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship] belts don’t have any borders, and neither do we.” If there’s a possibility of this match happening, we will do whatever it takes to make it happen. It can only benefit wrestling as a whole. I know WWE always thinks of dollars and cents and how their guys look in the public eye. I can understand that. I think that in this situation, everyone wins. We got the people talking – the match may never happen, but people are talking. They’re talking about a better world when companies aren’t at each other’s throats, and people don’t have heat with each other. This is the kind of thing that The Elite are trying to do. Even though we have no corporate power, we’re just throwing ourselves out there, and saying we want it to happen. The fans want it to happen. And if the fans want it to happen, who’s to say that it shouldn’t? We’re going to look to create situations like this all the time, all over the place.

Does Kenny Omega have anything to say to The New Day?

I don’t just want to challenge The New Day. I want to challenge WWE. I know there are some people in the back that think that having outsiders come in and challenge your top act would just be a huge faux pas. I can understand that. But the three guys are that are challenging your most entertaining three guys are the three guys that have literally taken over the Internet. When those two forces come together, it would blow up like a hydrogen bomb. Look, WWE, you claim to be the masters of sports entertainment. How about this? Entertain the people. Cater to everyone on the planet. Myself and the Bucks, we are the Internet darlings of wrestling. We are racking up all the Match of the Year contenders. We are the ones on top of the planet right now. We are extending the olive branch for you guys to do something that has never been done before, and to help pro wrestling as a whole. The Young Bucks and I are willing to make it happen on our soil, on your soil, on your terms, it doesn’t matter. We are doing this for the people. Not your people, not our people, but all the people.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/678445-kenny-omega-talks-bullet-clubs-future-leading-the-elite-why-he-is-challenging-the-new-day

For some reason, I feel like New Day vs Omega and the Bucks might actually happen. Just that strange of a time that we live in now, regarding where WWE is willing to go. If it happened, it would have to be on a WWE show though, and it would probably be elimination style so that both sides could have a positive showing. WWE would never have their guys on a show that wasn't theirs.

I kinda figured The Elite and Bullet Club would be it's own, separate entities (although not yet entirely) during the show in which they turned on AJ Styles and Omega kept looking into the camera with Matt & Nick, constantly screaming "We Are The Elite!!!" Like Gallows, Anderson & Hall werent even there.

This does make me a bit sad though, because where does that leave my young boy, Cody?

That Omega interview was awesome. I love the Bullet Club merch, but honest to god I don't like Fale, Yujiro, Tama Tonga, Cody Hall etc so I'm glad there's a distinction now.

About Juice Robinson, something really off putting about him to me. I think it's his horrible attire.

Archived