King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...I have a theory about AEW after night 2. Obviously Tanahashi lost and doesn't get his title shot. But the AEW title was still seen on the show and got free publicity. I think that everything that happened with the US title was done so that the US belt could be seen on AEW, and then Suzuki could win it off Moxley on an AEW show. Kinda like a trade. Could be wrong though.

Jericho was pleading for both companies to work together in this post match presser.

Really don't think Omega and the Bucks understand why NJPW is mad at them. Like NJPW put full pushes behind them for them to up and leave and for a few months things were out of wack.

Right...that's kinda why I think this could be a show of good faith kind of thing...like AEW letting NJPW beat them on their own show. Jericho gets a non title win against Tanahashi at WK. But then Suzuki could fight Mox on AEW and NJPW could look superior by winning the belt. Just sayin. Maybe a start towards working relations.

Another thing about the Suzuki situation that I liked...he didn't attack Moxley. He came out with a full entrance, made his presence known, stood face to face with him, and then whooped him. I saw the NJPW facebook saying he attacked Mox. But...it was done really smart so Suzuki never looked cowardly. An attack is not really what I would call that. It was a challenge.

Really not a fan of KENTA being top challenger. Dude still has this air of mediocrity about him, IMO...like, he's better in NJPW than he was during his time in NXT when he clearly stopped giving a shit...but his current work is still not on a level anywhere near his peak. He just kinda seems entitled to be given praise for being KENTA alone. Which is not really a train ride that I'm getting on board with...

He hasn't given me any real reason in years to be a fan.

Why do people still worry about Meltzer and his ratings? It's just his opinion on a match. It doesn't tarnish it in any way, shape or form. Regardless, it was a good match.

I know what you're saying...but at the same time, it's like...Meltzer has somehow come to be the top voice regarding match quality (which I never agreed with). But, yeah...he can make good matches seem less good by giving them a lower score.

And this all goes back to me hating his ranking system to begin with. Because, if he never started giving matches scores over 5 stars, then a score of 4.75 would be excellent (which it should be, and technically is).

That's the biggest problem, really...(his rating system, which is complete shit to begin with). But...I've already argued as much in the past.

If you told any unsuspecting fool that the match was great, and it was rated 4.75...they would assume you meant 4.75 out of 5...which would be nearly perfect. But, since Meltzer is an asshole and has no real top-end to his scale, 4.75 seems low to people who know that he gives matches bullshit scores like a 7.

Why do people still worry about Meltzer and his ratings? It's just his opinion on a match. It doesn't tarnish it in any way, shape or form. Regardless, it was a good match.

I know what you're saying...but at the same time, it's like...Meltzer has somehow come to be the top voice regarding match quality (which I never agreed with). But, yeah...he can make good matches seem less good by giving them a lower score.

And this all goes back to me hating his ranking system to begin with. Because, if he never started giving matches scores over 5 stars, then a score of 4.75 would be excellent (which it should be, and technically is).

That's the biggest problem, really...his rating system, which is complete shit to begin with. But...I've already argued as much in the past.

To be radically honest, his rating system is severely flawed. His opinion of a match shouldn't tarnish how good a match was. I mean, it's good that he gives his opinion on things, but it shouldn't be considered the end all-be all.

Archived