King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an absolute banger!

And that was Day 1! Every finishing sequence, outside of the 10-/8-Men tag bouts was as perfect as it could have been.

Kota Ibushi heeling it up and just punch Okada nonstop, the V-Trigger, the final effort...

MotY stuff all around

Also...just putting this out here...

The New Beginning - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Jon Moxley - AEW No.1 Contendership

Just to stress some people out:

Okada is one title defense short of tying Liger's record total of 31 successfull title defenses for a single championship.

Brilliant 1st night. My MOTN is a toss up between White/Naito and Okada/Ibushi with maybe the IC title match getting the slight edge because the story gripped me just a tiny wee more (love White/Gedo's heel *censored*ery and Naito selling his knee). But man, I loved the Heavyweight title match, too. That sequence where Ibushi no sold Okada's strikes and then started unmercifully hitting Okada was amazing.

The Jr. Heavyweight title is not far behind as my third favorite match. The sequence featuring the Sasuke Special was mindblowing and super creative. Too many near falls and Hiromu taking so much of Ospreay's offense at the end is what keeps it from being my favorite match. Hiromu's selling was superb, though

US title match started out as a pedestrian hardcore match but around the midpoint it started getting interesting and by the end, it ended pretty damn strong. This was much better than Mox's hardcore match against Omega at Full Gear. Much better.

Tag title match was mostly fine with a solid finish.

Liger match was fun for what it was. Pretty surprised Liger lost.

Really didn't get too into the US Title match but went wild over the finish. Never have a seen a table break in such a way that looked like it actually broke the dude and then when he rolled over and was bleeding from somewhere just perfect.

Sidenote: NJPW said to get on steams early to make sure yours is working due to very high traffic.

Archived