King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

World Tag League Day 6, November 28 Results:

AJ Styles was taken off this mornings show due to injury. No word yet as to how serious it is or if he will miss any more of the tour.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/98102/aj-styles-pulled-off-new-japan-show-due-to-injury-world-tag-league-day-six-results.html?p=1

More:

Two-time IWGP Champion and current New Japan Pro Wrestling star A.J. Styles missed Saturday's NJPW show in Yamaguchi, Japan, due to an undisclosed injury. The 38-year-old Styles & Yujiro Takahashi were scheduled to compete against Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata in a key tag team tournament match.

As a result, Goto & Shibata were awarded the win via forfeit. The undercard ended up being changed around and Goto & Shibata beat Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu.

Styles had been out of action a few weeks ago with back problems before the tour, causing him to miss two ROH dates. As of 11:30 AM on Saturday, Styles hasn't mentioned anything about the injury on social media.

As of now, he is set to challenge ROH Champion Jay Lethal at December's ROH Final Battle in Philadelphia, in addition to facing Japanese legend Shinsuke Nakamura at the January's Wrestle Kingdom 10.

We'll continue to update this story as we get more information.

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/aj-styles-misses-njpw-show-due-undisclosed-injury-202586?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As noted over the weekend, New Japan Pro Wrestling announced that AJ Styles had suffered an undisclosed injury and would not be able to compete at Saturdays event. It turns out that Styles has suffered the same lower back injury (sciatic nerve issue) that he was dealing with back in October.

Styles is currently scheduled to wrestle Jay Lethal at next months ROH Final Battle PPV.

http://www.ringsidenews.com/wwe-news/aj-styles-re-injures-previous-injury/

So Honma might be in trouble again.

Credit: CJPW

"So Tomoaki Honma may be in trouble again but this is much worse than the stuff he did with the Yakuza a few years but domestic violence accusations stemming from years back when Honma was in BJW: From the article, apparently Kyoko Ichiki found he was cheating on her and confronted him, and he got angry. He allegedly kicked her in the face and dragged her around by the hair, amongst other things."

http://zasshi.news.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20151201-00021426-jprime-ent

Seems like IMO the tag leagues shows doesn't much love as the G1.

its not rly in the same league of shows at all doe, and never has been - no one expects anything from the tag league aside from basically being downtime before the Dome, whereas everyone expects huge things from the G1

According to The Wrestling Observer, the contract of top New Japan Pro Wrestling star Shinsuke Nakamura will be an interesting one to watch as WWE has expressed interest in the 36 year old veteran, and his contract will be expiring in the coming months.

Nakamura has never had a run in the United States, and from a looks standpoint he fits the WWE bill as he is tall enough. Nakamura received big reactions from fans when he appeared in Ring of Honor, and that has intrigued him where a U.S. pro wrestling run is concerned.

Nakamura’s age could be an issue, however, as WWE typically doesn’t like to start a talent at his age, and the cases of James Storm and Samoa Joe are different as they are being used in NXT and not being considered for the main roster.

NJPW owner Takaaki Kidani in the past has said that the promotion may have to offer near seven figure deals to top guys like Nakamura to keep them from jumping ship, so it’s unlike Alberto Del Rio’s situation with AAA in which the company could not match WWE’s offer.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/648429-wwe-reportedly-interested-in-top-veteran-japanese-star-shinsuke-nakamura-news-on-his-current-njpw-status-and-more#.VmCjY4Fq85o.twitter

I really, really, really do not want to see Shinsuke sign with WWE. As long as Vince McMahon is in charge, I fear he'll be treated as a joke and a stereotype. I'm not usually one to go "so and so's racist!", but WWE has a horrible track record with Asian talent.

Or every week we'll hear "THE KING OF SWAG MAGGLE MAGGLE LOOK AT HIM FLIP MAGGLE!" and then watch him get in meaningless feuds with Barrett, Sheamus, Del Rio, or Neville in 5 minute matches.

And then Kung Fu Naki? Good lord.

I hope Shins stays in NJPW and continues doing ROH appearances. That way I can see him wrestle live one day.

I really, really, really do not want to see Shinsuke sign with WWE. As long as Vince McMahon is in charge, I fear he'll be treated as a joke and a stereotype. I'm not usually one to go "so and so's racist!", but WWE has a horrible track record with Asian talent.

Or every week we'll hear "THE KING OF SWAG MAGGLE MAGGLE LOOK AT HIM FLIP MAGGLE!" and then watch him get in meaningless feuds with Barrett, Sheamus, Del Rio, or Neville in 5 minute matches.

I hope Shins stays in NJPW and continues doing ROH appearances. That way I can see him wrestle live one day.

With HHH handling talent i don't think so imo.

With HHH handling talent i don't think so imo.

I think it's weird that Triple H has become an internet babyface when he was so abhorred for so many years. I honestly don't think he's going to fix as much as people think he is.

Still...time will tell I guess.

My guess is WWE would want him for NXT at first. He would certainly be a hit there, as he could carry that brand on it's back if needed. Also, it goes without saying, that would be a huge blow to NJPW. I hope he stays. But since he's a clear number 3 behind Tanahashi and Okada, I can't say with 100% of confidence that I think he will.

Full WK 10 card.

0. New Japan Rumble:
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title 4 Way Match: Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish © vs. Ricochet & Matt Sydal vs. Rocky Romero & Baretta vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
2. Special Six Man Tag Match: Toru Yano, X & X vs. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Tama Tonga
3. Special Singles Match: Jay Lethal vs. Michael Elgin
* ROH World Championship match if Lethal retains at Final Battle
4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kenny Omega © vs. KUSHIDA
5. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows © vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma
6. Special Singles Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © vs. Katsuyori Shibata
8. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. AJ Styles
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

I bet The Kingdom's gonna be Yano's partners for the Maria/Mao spot.

Lethal losing to BiginjapanMike would be stupid but he's over in Japan so they might try to snatch him.

Kenny Omega vs "lolshortreign" Kushida should be good even though we saw it already like 3 times but hey...look at the Main Event. Lawl.

Archived