King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Generations said:

Ospreay's selling was godlike in that match.

Feel like I witnessed a murder.

I have to agree, Ospreay did phenomenal. I can't believe I'm saying this as I've been vocal in my dislike of him but man Kenny just felt different here. This guy needs to distance himself from the Bucks immediately. I don't know what's lost in translation when he's in AEW but it's a massive change in quality. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bucks have always needed Kenny, not the other way around. And you can definitely feel that Kenny's style is more suited for Japan than it is for the states. - I think a lot of it has to do with NJPW not having strict television standards. - In Japan, Kenny can have an hour long match every time he wrestles. - In AEW, he just gets stuck in trios matches and has to deal with things like commercial breaks and runtime.

At the end of the day, Kenny is a storyteller. He understands what makes wrestling enjoyable to watch. And he can't do most of that when he's put in a box as small as AEW. - Honestly, I wasn't on-board with the Kenny/Ospreay match for about the first half of it...it felt a lot like going through the motions...like the attraction of Kenny being back in Japan was focus of everything, and the match could just be "whatever". But that all shifted when Ospreay began to sell like he was fighting for his entire life. 

If that was an AEW match, we never would have had time to allow for that level of storytelling to develop. It needed to build and build until it reached what was essentially an uncomfortable level for the viewer. And then it needed more time, still, so it could appear like Ospreay actually had a fighting chance. AEW could only hope to do that on a PPV event...and even then, not likely. 

Also, NJPW just books big moments way better than AEW does.

I didn't really notice the women's match was "short"...it felt like the proper length to me. Not always a need to give everyone a huge amount of time. Felt like what needed to happen did happen, and I'm not sure they needed to do more. - The match I did think was short, was the FTR match. Thought it could have used a bit more back and forth, and a more convincing pinfall.

Watching the botch on a loop...Kairi did exactly as she was supposed to. Mercedes just didn't do the move quickly enough. Kairi fell in a way that would look most convincing and most impactful...but, it required Mercedes to actually perform the move in sequence...which she didn't. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 3:47 AM, Jeb ? said:

Streets saying

Reveal hidden contents

Jay White

might be WWE bound, I'm gonna miss his banger of a theme ?

Honestly, he could debut at the Elimination Chamber PPV and help Judgement Day defeat Edge. I think that would be a good fit for him. From one stable to another. 

Archived