King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fight Me.

The IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental titles have been unified into the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. New belt coming too apparently.

Not the first title I would've gotten rid of but yeah lol

Guest Fight Me.

It was revealed today by Super J-Cast that Marty Scurll will not be used on New Japan Pro Wrestling Strong tapings as originally planned. NJPW responded to the online response to the news of his involvement, but there were several members of the roster who weren't thrilled with his involvement either. Fightful heard from numerous people who worked the tapings that said if they would have been made aware of Scrull's involvement ahead of time, they would have made it clear that they didn't want to work at the tapings. Everything at the actual tapings was said to have been fine, and without incident.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/48289689

Guest Fight Me.
9 hours ago, Luchador LXXXV said:

It's cool having NJPW on the roku channel but why are they adding matches separately as episodes every Thursday and why do all 2020 first? Their youtube channel only has press conference interviews and a bit of highlights.

To watch full new stuff,  I can only do it by ppv?

NJPW World.

I knew those figures would be bad when they took so long to be fulfilled. Oh well.

I got mine the other day, and yeah...they're embarrassing. Luckily, I keep everything in the box anyway, so it's not like I was going to display them or anything. Still...the details are so poorly done. I only briefly pulled the Okada one from it's sleeve to see the details on it. The stack of cash is literally one homogenous color....there is zero detail. One of the swappable hands has a wrap on it, and it hasn't even been painted...it's flesh tone. The figures are an embarrassment in every sense. Maybe they'll be worth something in the future just because of how absurd they are. I doubt it. Lol.

Guest Fight Me.

I'm surprised. Skimming through the Major Brothers' unboxing vid, woof.

Did the same people make the Liger figures? Thought people loved those.

7 hours ago, Fight Me. said:

I'm surprised. Skimming through the Major Brothers' unboxing vid, woof.

Did the same people make the Liger figures? Thought people loved those.

These figures are by Super 7.

The Liger figures are by Storm Collectibles. Those are ace.

• 2 weeks later...

New belt looks pretty nice, I guess. 

Definitely had a gut reaction to it at first...but, it's nice. Honestly, the main problem here is just that both the IWGP World and Intercontinental titles were gorgeous belts. But, change is fine, I guess. And losing the Intercontinental belt probably means more of a boost for the NEVER Openweight title, which is also a good thing. 

Still...end of an era. Those were some nice looking belts. It always hurts when you see someone "upgrade" what was already perfection. 

There was no way they could come up with something better than the IWGP World Title design, that is just not possible...the thing is a beauty from a different time.
But i do like the new one, looks a bit too Flashy but its definitly a design you can get used to.

Guest Fight Me.

I like it. More bummed out about it not carrying over the title history of the Heavyweight title though since it's now the World title.

It seems to me that the two sides of the debate on this title are: 

1) people comparing it to the divas title as a joke...and

2) people saying it is an homage to the classic IWGP design.

Honestly, I don't see it as either of those things. The classic belt was a crown. It didn't flare out nearly this much. So, I don't see it as a very direct tribute to that. If anything, it gives me very strong vibes of things like Super Sentai, Ultraman, Kamen Rider, etc. There's just something about the chunky flying-v style of it that gives me those vibes. And I'm fine with that...because I love that aesthetic. I think the only thing that seems off to me, is how square the side plates are. It feels like they should have a more complementary design to match the center plate.

Guest Fight Me.
9 minutes ago, Lunchbox said:

I never liked the classic belt and i don't like this one. Honestly the old belt had nothing wrong with it. They should have just given it a white strap or something.

I was hoping it would be the same title just with the word "World" added to it lol

Archived