King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

The whole Switchblade thing just makes NJPW look desperate, tbh. Not really a fan of it. I've liked Jay since his young lion days. But, this is way too early for him to be the top guy. It basically reeks of trying to replace Kenny with another white guy, especially leading up to the MSG show.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole Switchblade thing just makes NJPW look desperate, tbh. Not really a fan of it. I've liked Jay since his young lion days. But, this is way too early for him to be the top guy. It basically reeks of trying to replace Kenny with another white guy, especially leading up to the MSG show.

It's almost 1-to-1 a replica of what happened with Okada and Tanahashi in 2012. And we all know how awful that turned out

^Yeah I think Okada won the title the first time like a year after they barely snatched him back from his excursion in Impact, lol.

Okada also had a far worse showing at his "first" Tokyo Dome show than Jay White

It was so bad, people think to this day (TO THIS DAY) that Okada was intentionally poor against Yoshi to throw off Tanahashi and piss off fans because it made him look as that much more undeserving.

Guest Fight Me.

I think the new president wants to expand New Japan worldwide, which explains Omega and now Switchblade winning. The thing is, Omega was recognized as the BITW by lots of fans, so of course he would've worked if used currectly during his last few months. With Switchblade though, do American fans even *Censored* with him like that? I feel like he's not even that well known outside of the NJPW/ROH bubble, but I could be wrong. Like even Bullet Club fans might think Tama is the current leader over him lmao

It's funny cause in the video package when they introduced the new president, he went on about how he fell in love with NJPW through Tanahashi and Nakamura. So you would think Tana would've been in for like another year long reign, or even half a year. But sheesh, one month? I know Jay has been built nicely over the past year, but they could've let this feud breathe with the Switchblade a little bit. The same PPV Omega won the title last year would've been fine.

I think the new president just wants NJPW to be WWE. Which I don't think is a good idea. Because, people obviously turned to NJPW for the exact reason that it held itself to higher standards than WWE. And now that you will have AEW as well, I think there's really nothing stopping AEW from filling the position that NJPW formerly held...and NJPW basically just becoming a modern WCW equivalent. I'm sure they won't completely turn their back on the history of NJPW. That's not what I'm saying...but, I still think that there's a reason why NJPW persisted for so long as a Japan-only brand. As soon as they start being "WWE-Japan", they'll lose support (especially with so many other options of promotions to watch). Basically...NJPW should expand to the global market...but they shouldn't go to any lengths to westernize the product itself. I already question some of the marketing that I see.

I think the new president just wants NJPW to be WWE. Which I don't think is a good idea. Because, people obviously turned to NJPW for the exact reason that it held itself to higher standards than WWE. And now that you will have AEW as well, I think there's really nothing stopping AEW from filling the position that NJPW formerly held...and NJPW basically just becoming a modern WCW equivalent. I'm sure they won't completely turn their back on the history of NJPW. That's not what I'm saying...but, I still think that there's a reason why NJPW persisted for so long as a Japan-only brand. As soon as they start being "WWE-Japan", they'll lose support (especially with so many other options of promotions to watch). Basically...NJPW should expand to the global market...but they shouldn't go to any lengths to westernize the product itself. I already question some of the marketing that I see.

Got any examples of the marketing ?

Apparently, Hiromu is going to return, but NJPW management hasn't set a return date yet.

After Shibata and Kitamura, I'm happy that it ends with a return like with Tonma.

I found an interesting vid on Jay White that claims he's the most intelligent pro wrestler in the world today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YncKuDJwZ_0

• 2 weeks later...

Archived