King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate Okada's new theme lol. Outside from the usual suspects, I've been very impressed with both Ishii and Sanada and think one of them might shock as the B-block progresses. Especially with Sanada facing Ibushi and Omega next, I think.

Because of the whole thing that the Tongans have going on, I'm really interested in seeing how things would go when Tama faces ZSJ and especially Ibushi and when Fale faces Suzuki and White.

Oh yeah, Hangman Page is fun to watch too. Plus I like his theme.

At this point, I'm going with Kenny to win the G1 tbh.

Juice did a move I love during the Omega match that I don't see anyone doing anymore. When he had him in a headscissors on the ground Kenny did a headstand and he gave him like a piledriver but already sitting down. That's some Dynamite Kid/Tiger Mask shit right there, I loved it.

My fav match of the tourney so far was Goto vs Ishii, followed by Omega vs Naito. After that my fav matches were Ibushi vs Juice, Ibushi vs Zack and Naito vs Ishii.

Quality of matches has absolutely nothing to do with being a workhorse. Dude has been around since the OG Bullet Club and has been a prominent part of NJPW for years. And why exactly does Tama being a workhorse need to suggest that someone like Ishii or Naito isn't? Why is everything so difficult with you?

But then again, I recall you "lol'ing" when I said Dolph was a workhorse. So...I guess I should expect that you don't really follow what that term means.

Chris Jericho says there are no restrictions to what he can do in New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW). The reigning IWGP Intercontinental Champion has only wrestled 3 matches in 2018, but he has remained one of the most talked about wrestlers in the world.

Jericho made waves when he wrestled Kenny Omega in the Tokyo Dome on January 4th, 2018. He appeared at WWEs big Raw 25th Anniversary just a few weeks later, his first appearance for the company since he started working for New Japan.

In April, he was back in WWE competing in the Greatest Royal Rumble. By June, he was the IWGP IC Champion after dethroning Tetsuya Naito at Dominion.

Chris Jericho On Working For NJPW & WWE

Its very cool to go back to Japan, where I started, and be part of this worldwide growth of New Japan, Jericho said to Sports Illustrated recently. There are no real restrictions on what I can do in New Japan.

Jericho would continue to talk about the restrictions in WWE versus NJPW.

We did the original beatdown with Kenny and got some blood going, which you never see in the WWE nowadays, Jericho continued.

We did the press conference where I was swearing and attacking reporters. You cant do that in WWE, but you can in Japan. Just to have those shackles released, it just felt like all of these things led to more of a Bruiser Brody character than a Shawn Michaels-type vibe.

Chris Jericho Wrestling For Non-WWE Promotions

Jericho has always said he would never wrestle for a company other than WWE on American soil. Events which have unfolded this year may test his commitment to this, however.

When asked by a fan on Twitter if he still intends to stand by his earlier claims, Jericho gave an answer some fans will find surprising.

https://twitter.com/IAmJericho/status/1020132257540001792

Theres been speculation that Jericho is interested in working for Impact Wrestling. Jericho responded, Of course! when asked if hed consider going to Impact.

https://twitter.com/IAmJericho/status/1021793827055656960

Chris Jerichos Rock n Wrestling Rager

This October, Chris Jericho is hosting the Rock n Wrestling Rager cruise, which departs out of Miami on October 27th and travels to the Bahamas.

Talent from WWE, Impact Wrestling, New Japan Pro Wrestling and Ring of Honor will be appearing on the ship. Very few people can pull off something like this. Chris Jericho is among a rare breed of performers who makes his own rules in this business.

https://www.sescoops.com/chris-jericho-new-japan-no-restrictions/

People have painted this picture of Tama Tonga being someone who could potentially be the next top guy in NJPW and wrestling as a whole, but I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe that the guy is a whole lot better than what he's shown over the past several years - both in and out the ring. Granted, he may not have been afforded much time to show what he can truly do, but part me of feels like he's no better than what we've seen.

I can't recall any matches over the past year or so that are worth a lot of praise, especially against some of the top stars.

I definitely don't see Tama Tonga as a top guy. Not at all. He's a lot like Kofi Kingston to me. Some people think Kofi is going to be a top guy as well. And I just never see that being the case. I also don't think it needs to be the case, because guys like Kofi and Tama Tonga are most valuable where they are. Kofi might get the respectfully obligatory main title win before he retires, because WWE does things like that. But NJPW doesn't, so I don't think Tama will ever get much further than he is.

Omega/Ishii and Ibushi/Naito both look crazy. I watched the whole show up to the Omega match and then I wasn't really paying full attention because I was busy doing other things...so I turned it off. I need to devote full attention to both those matches. I'll watch em later.

Archived