King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

For me, it was...

Jericho actually winning the IC title that made me giddy. Then the good times just kinda kept rolling.

I was laughing hard at how Jericho made his win seem like he was doing it for the US, when he's Canadian. I laughed about that bit of trolling for a good long while. I probably started smiling during the Hiromu/Ospreay match (because it was awesome)...but then I definitely started to look like a crazy person during the Jericho and Omega matches. :lol:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone think that IF NJPW were to get big outside Japan, the WWE would try to kill it quick and do you think any of them would actually go ? As to be honest I do like NJPW but I do not buy into the Omega hype. He is good but over rated imho, as Cody pointed out.

Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks should never go to the WWE and if they do, it would have to be where the WWE makes them offers that they cannot refuse. There's zero chance the WWE will give them what they want. It will take a lot of concessions on the WWE's part for those three to ever sign with the WWE and I doubt that's what the WWE wants unless they are desperate.

Those three I don't think will ever sign with the WWE.

As I would really love for NJPW to thrive outside of Japan and force the WWE to actually be creative and think outside the box again and take risks on people they otherwise would not have, like WCW use to do. But I would also be worried about Vince and company gutting the promotion if that happens to try and kill it quick.

The idea that WWE even could "kill NJPW quick" is laughable.

WWE has been trying to compete with NJPW for at least the past couple years, and they've basically come to accept that it's easier to coexist. There's no conceivable way for WWE to just "kill them fast".

wz2ZWJh.jpg

Boiiii

Full cards:

Night 1 - Milton Keynes

Shota Umino vs. ?????
Yujiro & Taiji Ishimori vs. Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis
El Desperado, Takashi Iizuka & Taichi vs. Gedo, Jay White & Toru Yano
Tiger Mask IV vs. David Starr
Yuji Nagata vs. WALTER
Yoshi-Hashi vs. Chris Brookes
Will Ospreay vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii
Night 2 - Manchester
Dan Duggan vs. ?????
Yuji Nagata vs. Shota Umino
Taiji Ishimori vs. Tiger Mask IV vs. David Starr vs. El Phantasmo
El Desperado, Takashi Iizuka & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Toru Yano, Gedo & Yoshi-Hashi
Yujiro vs. WALTER
Jay White vs. Chris Brookes
Will Ospreay vs. Taichi
Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Minoru Suzuki

Those last two matches on night 2 *Homer salivating noises*

Yeah. How dare he give the match he considers the best he's ever seen a better rating than the other he's ever seen.

Except, that's not the way that rating systems work.

5/5 is meant to be a flawless match...and you can't do better than flawless. It's no one's fault but his own that he blew his load on earlier Kenny matches and now he feels like he needs to keep going up from there. As awesome as these matches are, a flawless 5 star rating is still the ceiling. So, yeah...he's a *censored*ing joke.

Also, 7 stars doesn't even sound good. It sounds like it's out of 10, which makes it sound like a completely meh rating to anyone who doesn't understand how retarded Meltzer's rating system is.

7 stars is like taking a flawless 10 carat diamond and bedazzling it with rhinestones. The extra shit does nothing for the value of it.

Newsflash. Meltzer's ratings never had a 0 to 5 Star scale. There is no "4 out of 5" or "2 out of 5". It's just his way of expressing how he feels about a match. There's been matches he has rated -4 stars and there's been matches he's rated 4 stars. Then Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask happened and he thought it was the best match he ever saw and suddenly...5 stars was a thing. Suddenly 4.25 was a thing. 4.5 was a thing. It's just his way of expressing his opintion. It's people like you that try to put it on an objective scale. It's not. And Meltzer says as much. Saying he's a joke or claiming that his rating system is "retarded" just shows your lack of understanding one mans opinion.

Unlike other systems, where one "100 out of 100" can be much better than another "100 out of 100", Meltzer's ratings actually tells us how he feels about a match. I've read enough wrestling reviews to know that his is alot more telling than those of people that rate Ryback & Team Hell No vs. The Shield as high as Undertaker vs. HBK (just to stay within in the same company).

And...

That's a dumb *censored*ing rating system.

Hence, MELTZER is A JOKE. I stand by my original statement.

If a rating system has no scale, then it means jack shit. I reiterate...how is a 7 star rating supposed to sound impressive when people have no idea what the measuring stick is? Just being "how Meltzer feels" doesn't tell the average person viewing that information jack shit. You aren't going to look at a 7 star rating and say "wow...it must have been an awesome match"...not without the pretense of understanding that Meltzer is a clown. And where does it end? How does a 6 or 7 star match look when Meltzer is up to 11 or 12 star matches? He's going to reach a point where he's devaluing older matches because he can't control himself. He's already there, tbh. You can't be such a ridiculous mark as a professional reviewer...it really isn't beneficial for anyone.

Wtf? If you tell me a movie is the best movie you've ever seen, I know you think it's the best movie you have ever seen. Even if all the movies you have seen are shit. This movie is still the one you consider the best you've ever seen. I don't need to know wether or not your opinions on the movies reach from "Shit to passable" or from "Shit to good". If you say a movie is the best you've ever seen, it's the best you've ever seen. And since people tell me you're one of the most respect movie reviewers out there, I know it's atleast a movie worth looking at.

Replace the words "shit/good/passable" with numbers and you get Meltzer's ratings.

And yes. "How Meltzer feels" about a match does tell alot. Because he's well-known in the industry and, unless you're an idiot, know very well what he looks for in a match and wether or not you factor in his opinion into your decision to watch a match.

If Vince Russo, Vince McMahon, Jim Cornette and Dave Meltzer all rated matches without an official scale...after a while people would still understand that for Vince Russo a "Grade G" match is an fantastic match, for Jim Cornette it's a "75" rated match, for Vince McMahon it's a "1.4" rated match and for Dave Meltzer it's a "4 Stars" match.

Neither man gave us a scale, other than the ratings and reviews of matches before the one they just rated. But because we have ears and care enough about their opinions to look them up, we also know that these four men look for different stuff in matches and can therefore decide for ourself wether or not a certain rating tells us something or not.

Simple mathematics. Math has no upperscale limit (no proper one, atleast), yet we don't need one to gauge wether or not 87 is a big number. Context does that for us. And ratings by humans should be no different.

I don't agree with the way Meltzer rates matches (which isn't even the focus or the most important part of his work), therefore he's a joke. Irrelevant that he's the most important journalist in wrestling history and his contributions to the business are invaluable, how dare he give a match 7 stars!

Lmao, just noticed he actually called Meltzer a 'ridiculous mark'. Regret even taking the time to post anything at all.

Archived