King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

Here are the cards for this weekends NJPW US G1 special events; 411 will have live coverage of both shows

July 1st in Long Beach (Airing on AXS TV):

* Roppongi Vice, Will Ospreay, & The Briscoes vs. The Young Bucks, Marty Scurll, Yujiro Takahashi, & Bad Luck Fale

* Titan, Dragon Lee, Volafor Jr, & Jushin Liger vs. EVIL, BUSHI, SANADA, & Hiromu Takahashi

* US Title Tournament Match: Jay Lethal vs. Hangman Page

* US Title Tournament Match: Juice Robinson vs. Zack Sabre Jr

* Davis Finlay, Jay White, KUSHIDA, & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Sho Tanaka, Yohei Komatsu, Yoshitatsu , & Billy Gunn

* IWGP Tag Title Match: Champions The Guerrillas of Destiny vs. War Machine

* US Title Tournament Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

* US Title Tournament Match: Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega

* IWGP Title Match: Champion Kazuchika Okada vs. Cody

July 2nd in Long Beach (Airing on New Japan World):

* Semifinals of the US Title Tournament

* Finals of the US Title Tournament

* IWGP IC Title Match: Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Billy Gunn

* IWGP Junior Tag Title Match: Champions The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice

http://411mania.com/wrestling/cards-for-this-weekends-njpw-us-g1-specials/

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After revealing the blocks for this summer's G1 Climax yesterday, New Japan Pro Wrestling announced when most of the key matches in the tournament will take place this morning.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega III is set for the last day of B Block action at Sumo Hall on August 12th. The day before that, the A Block will conclude with Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito. Those two matches will have major implications for their respective blocks and may decide who goes on to the finals.

The G1 will open on July 17th with A Block matches. Kota Ibushi vs. Naito and Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. have been announced as the top two matches. Ibushi will also seemingly be involved in the mix at the end of the block as he'll face Hirooki Goto on the final A Block show on August 11th.

The first night in the B Block will take place on July 20th with Minoru Suzuki vs. Omega and SANADA vs. EVIL. Suzuki vs. Toru Yano was the other match announced for the last B Block show.

In a match that many wanted to happen in the Cruiserweight Classic, Ibushi will face Sabre on July 21st.

The full schedule figures to be announced soon. Here's the full list of matches that were revealed today:

July 17th --

Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

July 20th --

Minoru Suzuki vs. Kenny Omega
SANADA vs. EVIL

July 21st --

YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito
Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

July 22nd --

Minoru Suzuki vs. SANADA
Kenny Omega vs. Tama Tonga

July 23rd --

Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto
Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii

July 25th --

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA
Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega

July 26th --

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hirooki Goto
Togi Makabe vs. Kota Ibushi

July 27th --

Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega
Minoru Suzuki vs. EVIL

July 29th --

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. YOSHI-HASHI

July 30th --

Juice Robinson vs. Kazuchika Okada
Satoshi Kojima vs. Kenny Omega

August 1st --

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi
Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii

August 2nd --

Kenny Omega vs. EVIL
Satoshi Kojima vs. Minoru Suzuki

August 4th --

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Togi Makabe
Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

August 5th --

Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL
Satoshi Kojima vs. SANADA

August 6th --

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Togi Makabe vs. Tetsuya Naito

August 8th --

Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki
Kenny Omega vs. SANADA

August 11th --

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito
Kota Ibushi vs. Hirooki Goto

August 12th --

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega
Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki

August 13th --

A Block winner vs. B Block winner in the tournament finals

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/njpw-reveals-date-okada-vs-omega-iii-other-key-g1-matches-238131?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Why is the champion in the G1?

In other words, what does the winner of this tournament win? Bragging rights?

Not sarcasm. Just don't know.

the winner gets a world title shot at Wrestle Kingdom, complete with a MITB-like briefcase (except they can only cash it in at WK). If the champion wins, then he gets to choose his opponent at WK

Why is the champion in the G1?

In other words, what does the winner of this tournament win? Bragging rights?

Not sarcasm. Just don't know.

a shot at the Heavyweight, IC or NEVER title. Same as everyone else

That match is also happening on July 1st live on AXS for the first round of the US title.

Update on Sherbater:

A6o3GlH.jpg

That's good to hear. The last few updates have been worrying, so I'm glad that there's some positive news. I just hope the mad bastard retires.

I'm just salty that Juice had his shot and lost. He was the perfect person to take the belt from Naito, IMO. So...I was salty about Tanahashi getting the belt, and now I'm salty about this Billy Gunn match that I don't give a shit about. :lol: They did this whole storyline where the belt didn't mean shit to Naito...and now it's supposed to be on the waist of someone who can restore it's glory...and we get Billy *censored*ing Gunn.

Eh, I don't think Juice was ready to get the belt yet. They rely on that belt to draw houses and Juice probably isn't a big draw yet. And they're probably building up to Okada vs Naito at the Dome so they probably didn't want Naito to lose to someone like Juice. Juice pinning Naito in a tag match was a huge moment already, though, hope he gets some surprise wins in the G1.

Well, people don't fall into that "ready to draw" position without actually being pushed. I thought the Japanese crowds were pretty big into Juice (still are). He seems to be a guy that everyone generally likes. I always hear great reactions to his matches, and he's always walking around kissing babies and shit afterwards. I just thought it was a good story...especially as the underdog, to be the one who takes the belt back (as a gaijin, nonetheless) and restore prestige to it. I seriously get nothing out of Tanahashi having the belt. It felt anti-climactic as shit to me. Probably comparable to something like a Randy Orton title win.

Getting a pin over the most over guy in the promotion and a PPV main event for the 2nd biggest title in the company isn't getting a push?

Of course.

What I'm saying is, nobody is "ready" to be a champion, until they are the champion. If you keep dangling the prize and then pulling it away, you can keep someone down for a long time. What is the measure of how "ready" Juice is? How would we even know that he can or can't draw...unless he's put in the position to do so? Like I said...the crowds generally love Juice. He always gets a good reaction. Where does the "he's not ready to draw a crowd" mentality even come from? How could anyone claim to know that? If you get a reputation for always being the guy who tries really hard and comes up short, then you end up like Dolph Ziggler...with not a goddamn person giving two shits about you. I really don't want Juice to become NJPW's Dolph Ziggler.

Getting a pin over the most over guy in the promotion and a PPV main event for the 2nd biggest title in the company isn't getting a push?

Of course.

What I'm saying is, nobody is "ready" to be a champion, until they are the champion. If you keep dangling the prize and then pulling it away, you can keep someone down for a long time. What is the measure of how "ready" Juice is? How would we even know that he can or can't draw...unless he's put in the position to do so? Like I said...the crowds generally love Juice. He always gets a good reaction. Where does the "he's not ready to draw a crowd" mentality even come from? How could anyone claim to know that? If you get a reputation for always being the guy who tries really hard and comes up short, then you end up like Dolph Ziggler...with not a goddamn person giving two shits about you. I really don't want Juice to become NJPW's Dolph Ziggler.

100% disagree with that. And I never said you can be sure someone isn't a draw but that was the decision they made. Yano gets good reactions but I would say people wouldn't come in droves to see him in main event matches. Do I know for sure he can't draw as IC champ? No but I can predict that would be the case. At the end of the day it's a booking decision. They could've pulled the trigger and gave Juice the belt but they decided it wasn't his time. Probably because they wanted a huge match to semi main event Dominion and I don't think any match with Juice would be bigger than Tanahashi vs Naito.

Archived