King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

Guest Fight Me.

Idk why but I was expecting an Ibushi return sooner or later after I found out they're putting him in Tiger Mask W as himself (so meta). :lol:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plush cat? Yeah i saw him, apparently he's called Daryl.

When Naito did the fist bump with him accepting him as honorary LIJ member. lmao

I was scared when Naito teased going for his eyes at the end of the match, though. And I loved how the announcers were concerned for him everytime someone would hit the barricade next to them.

Only matches from Dominion I saw were GOD VS War Machine, Elgin VS Cody and I watched the opening with Dave Finlay and him yesterday.

There were four other dudes but I can't even remember what they look like let alone what their names were. Kitamura stood out.

There were four other dudes but I can't even remember what they look like let alone what their names were. Kitamura stood out.

The opening matches are young lion matches. That's why it's never anyone worth any note. They're basically NJPW's version of bottom-feeder rookies. They all wear the same thing, and aren't afforded any type of personality or character traits. They're literally only there to prove themselves as capable performers. When they do that long enough, then they get gimmicks of their own and move up. Kitamura sucks, IMO...but he's the only one that I ever remember, myself...because of how he looks.

The opening matches are young lion matches. That's why it's never anyone worth any note. They're basically NJPW's version of bottom-feeder rookies. They all wear the same thing, and aren't afforded any type of personality or character traits. They're literally only there to prove themselves as capable performers. When they do that long enough, then they get gimmicks of their own and move up. Kitamura sucks, IMO...but he's the only one that I ever remember, myself...because of how he looks.

Oh I'm aware of all that. I was just saying what I said to point out that Kitamura caught my interest. I liked his look and chops.

But a question that you can answer for me is what is Dave Finlay then? From my understanding, he's not a YL. I only watched that match because of his last name but judging from reviews, he never does anything of note (push wise).

He's just a young kid whose still learning through throwaway matches, I suppose? Has he ever had any good singles matches worth checking out?

Oh I'm aware of all that. I was just saying what I said to point out that Kitamura caught my interest. I liked his look and chops.

But a question that you can answer for me is what is Dave Finlay then? From my understanding, he's not a YL. I only watched that match because of his last name but judging from reviews, he never does anything of note (push wise).

He's just a young kid whose still learning through throwaway matches, I suppose? Has he ever had any good singles matches worth checking out?

Former NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Champion alongside Ricochet and Satoshi Kojima.

Finlay is basically a regular member of the roster...he's just rather boring. :lol: He really doesn't have singles matches, no...mostly 6 man tags, like you presumed.

I'd say David Jr. is actually a lot like Heath Slater, tbh. He's the guy who is just around, in the background...and you don't expect him to be given much...but sometimes he is.

So...he's seen double for his entire career, but headbutted the shit out of anything that moved, anyway? And now, this injury has damaged part of his brain that has made his double vision even worse, to the point of walking into walls and being unable to read?

Man...if he always saw double, then he should have never been wrestling (obviously)...that aside, he should have at least not been doing so much offense with his skull. When I hear stuff like that, it both amazes me (the resolve that he had to be a wrestler)...but also leaves me shaking my head.

ROH and NJPW star Jay White recently spoke to ESPN and below are some interview highlights:

What it was like at the NJPW dojo:

I had no idea what I was gonna be doing there, and I didnt even know how long I was gonna be there, at first. I managed to find out just before I went there that it was going to be four months. I had no idea if I was going to be training, if I was going to have any matches didnt think Id get paid or anything. But I turned up there and shaved my head. Youre up at 8 oclock, you clean the dojo and clean the bathrooms and the floors outside, as well you sweep the road outside the house. Then, once youve done that, youve got between then and about 9:30, 9:45 to have some food if you want. But then at 10 oclock, youre gonna start training for three hours at least, usually sometimes longer. The training is horrible, especially at the start; its just such a shock to anything youve done before. Five hundred squats every morning, sometimes a thousand. Normal squats, that is, and then youll have jumping squats on top of that. Hundreds of press-ups, just grinding you into the ground in the training there.

Once thats done youll finish up, go shower, and then youll go and wait in the kitchen to look after the Senpai, the older wrestlers who are gonna obviously be eating and stuff. So you do their dishes for them. When theyre training, youre going to do their laundry, keeping an eye out for them putting their laundry baskets out. Wash, dry, fold it. Once it quiets down in the kitchen, youll get a chance to go and have lunch yourself. Once thats done, clean up and youve kind of just got to hang around to keep an eye on the older guys, really anyone thats coming in, just make sure youre around to help them out. In the evening, if you have time, its up to each person; I would go in and do more weights, seeing as in the morning it would be a lot more body weight-based.

How he got accepted into the NJPW dojo:

Its probably, in terms of places to get into, its gotta be the hardest. Theres so many people that email myself and others asking about, Hey, how do I get a tryout or how do I get in this. A lot of it comes down to who you know, basically. I got in through Prince Devitt or Finn Bálor however you want to refer to him. I met him in England, and he was impressed with my work ethic. He went back and put a word in, and then from there, Bad Luck Fale, being a fellow New Zealander, got in touch with me.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/853069-jay-white-on-finn-balor-getting-him-into-the-njpw-training-dojo-the-dojos-difficult-training-program-and-more

During this mornings NJPW Kizuna Road event, NJOW announced the blocks for this years G1 Climax tournament. The G1 starts on July 17th

G1 BLOCK A

* Hiroshi Tanahashi

* Togi Makabe

* Tomohiro Ishii

* Hirooki Goto

* YOSHI-HASHI

* Bad Luck Fale

* Yuji Nagata

* Zack Sabre Jr

* Kota Ibushi

* Tetsuya Naito

D8mTJcO.jpg