King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

British wrestling sensation Zack Sabre Jr. is headed back to Japan this weekend, as he faces Hirooki Goto for the NEVER Openweight Championship at Sundays NJPW Sakura Genesis event. The current reigning Evolve Champion, PWG World Champion, and RPW British Heavyweight Champion is looking to add a fourth piece of gold to his waist, as well as extend his singles record with New Japan Pro Wrestling to 2-0, after upsetting Katsuyori Shibata in his debut this March.

ZSJ recently sat down with New Japan World for an exclusive interview for subscribers of the streaming service, which will host this weekends massive show live, featuring English commentary and several big title matches. Below is a transcript of the interview, but if you like the content and are interested in watching NJPW Sakura Genesis this Sunday, please consider signing up at njpwworld.com.

On what it was like making his debut with New Japan earlier this year:

It was slightly surreal. I remember playing imported VHS tapes of New Japan Pro Wrestling when I was in high school, fourteen years old. So to walk to the ring on New Japans anniversary show, I think was a very special moment. Even though Ive spent fourteen or fifteen years traveling around the world, debuting with New Japan feels like the beginning of my career now.

On what New Japan means to him:

When you talk about global wrestling companies, New Japan is the highly level professional wrestling company. Perhaps there might be companies that are larger, but I think NJPW personifies professional wrestling. They set the tone 40 years ago with professional wrestling, being the strongest, and I think theyre evolution is very symbolic of how pro wrestling evolves. For me as a fan of wrestling, NJPW set the example with submission wrestling and striking, and I think its kind of evolved into many forms of wrestling, which is should do. Wrestling should be a variety show, but the basic introduction of what New Japan brings is pro wrestling at its core.

On who he wants to fight in New Japan:

Everyone. Everyone in the company. Maybe Im like a lot of foreign wrestlers; Im very aware of everyone on the New Japan roster. Ive watched Japanese wrestling for a very long time. Ive made my career wrestling junior heavyweights and heavyweights, and I dont really see a weight class. I just see competition.

On how it felt facing Shibata again in New Japan:

Theres not many wrestlers that I can showcase my technical ability as well as Shibata. A lot of technical wrestling, it really kind of involves a back and forth, like a relay. I thoroughly enjoy wrestling Shibata. There was a lot of pressure on the March bout, because obviously to lose to Shibata in my home country, when Im perceived to be the best British wrestler going right now, is a tough pill to swallow. To debut in Japan, there was a huge amount of pressure for me to beat Shibata, so part of me enjoyed it but part of me was too focused to really think about it.

On joining Suzuki-Gun:

Suzuki-san made me an offer that I couldnt refuse. I dont think we really need to focus on how it came. I think we should be very interested in what were going to do in the future. Suzuki-Gun came back to New Japan at the start of the year, and they said they wanted to take over New Japan. Well, thats exactly what I want to do, and I couldnt think of a better army to join, with Minoru Suzuki at the front. What appeals to me about Suzuki-Gun is that its exclusive, and you can look at other groups that have lots of foreign wrestlers like Bullet Club, but Suzuki-Gun is very exclusive and Im proud to be a part of that.

On facing Hirooki Goto for the NEVER Openweight Championship on 4/9:

Ive never actually wrestled in Sumo Palace, in Ryugoku, so Im very excited. Theres only one thing that you really need to concern yourself with, and thats that Im going to win my fourth championship in a row. And then Ill continue to win every other championship in New Japan, and then Ill travel around the rest of the world. Ive been to South America recently, I might win some championships there. Go to the Amazon on a training excursion. Its a big important match for me at Ryugoku, but I just see it as another championship to win. I think in my second appearance in New Japan, it will show everyone how serious I am about 2017, and how serious I am about New Japan Pro Wrestling.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/826433-zack-sabre-jr-on-making-his-new-japan-pro-wrestling-debut-upcoming-title-match-w-hirooki-goto-joining-suzuki-gun-more

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching Sakura Genesis and Shibata vs Okada left me absolutely exhausted holy shit. Shibata is an absolute madman and Okada is the best wrestler in the world, atm. I was shocked with how Hiromu vs KUSHIDA went down but it made perfect sense after watching the main event. In Gedo we trust, I'm not even worried about Okada vs Fale.

British wrestling sensation Zack Sabre Jr. is headed back to Japan this weekend, as he faces Hirooki Goto for the NEVER Openweight Championship at Sundays NJPW Sakura Genesis event. The current reigning Evolve Champion, PWG World Champion, and RPW British Heavyweight Champion is looking to add a fourth piece of gold to his waist, as well as extend his singles record with New Japan Pro Wrestling to 2-0, after upsetting Katsuyori Shibata in his debut this March.

ZSJ recently sat down with New Japan World for an exclusive interview for subscribers of the streaming service, which will host this weekends massive show live, featuring English commentary and several big title matches. Below is a transcript of the interview, but if you like the content and are interested in watching NJPW Sakura Genesis this Sunday, please consider signing up at njpwworld.com.

On what it was like making his debut with New Japan earlier this year:

It was slightly surreal. I remember playing imported VHS tapes of New Japan Pro Wrestling when I was in high school, fourteen years old. So to walk to the ring on New Japans anniversary show, I think was a very special moment. Even though Ive spent fourteen or fifteen years traveling around the world, debuting with New Japan feels like the beginning of my career now.

On what New Japan means to him:

When you talk about global wrestling companies, New Japan is the highly level professional wrestling company. Perhaps there might be companies that are larger, but I think NJPW personifies professional wrestling. They set the tone 40 years ago with professional wrestling, being the strongest, and I think theyre evolution is very symbolic of how pro wrestling evolves. For me as a fan of wrestling, NJPW set the example with submission wrestling and striking, and I think its kind of evolved into many forms of wrestling, which is should do. Wrestling should be a variety show, but the basic introduction of what New Japan brings is pro wrestling at its core.

On who he wants to fight in New Japan:

Everyone. Everyone in the company. Maybe Im like a lot of foreign wrestlers; Im very aware of everyone on the New Japan roster. Ive watched Japanese wrestling for a very long time. Ive made my career wrestling junior heavyweights and heavyweights, and I dont really see a weight class. I just see competition.

On how it felt facing Shibata again in New Japan:

Theres not many wrestlers that I can showcase my technical ability as well as Shibata. A lot of technical wrestling, it really kind of involves a back and forth, like a relay. I thoroughly enjoy wrestling Shibata. There was a lot of pressure on the March bout, because obviously to lose to Shibata in my home country, when Im perceived to be the best British wrestler going right now, is a tough pill to swallow. To debut in Japan, there was a huge amount of pressure for me to beat Shibata, so part of me enjoyed it but part of me was too focused to really think about it.

On joining Suzuki-Gun:

Suzuki-san made me an offer that I couldnt refuse. I dont think we really need to focus on how it came. I think we should be very interested in what were going to do in the future. Suzuki-Gun came back to New Japan at the start of the year, and they said they wanted to take over New Japan. Well, thats exactly what I want to do, and I couldnt think of a better army to join, with Minoru Suzuki at the front. What appeals to me about Suzuki-Gun is that its exclusive, and you can look at other groups that have lots of foreign wrestlers like Bullet Club, but Suzuki-Gun is very exclusive and Im proud to be a part of that.

On facing Hirooki Goto for the NEVER Openweight Championship on 4/9:

Ive never actually wrestled in Sumo Palace, in Ryugoku, so Im very excited. Theres only one thing that you really need to concern yourself with, and thats that Im going to win my fourth championship in a row. And then Ill continue to win every other championship in New Japan, and then Ill travel around the rest of the world. Ive been to South America recently, I might win some championships there. Go to the Amazon on a training excursion. Its a big important match for me at Ryugoku, but I just see it as another championship to win. I think in my second appearance in New Japan, it will show everyone how serious I am about 2017, and how serious I am about New Japan Pro Wrestling.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/826433-zack-sabre-jr-on-making-his-new-japan-pro-wrestling-debut-upcoming-title-match-w-hirooki-goto-joining-suzuki-gun-more

I wonder if this means we'll see him in ROH soon.

3/12 show:

Hiromu: ‘KUSHIDA… what's on your mind? It seems you're thinking about BUSHI when you should be worried about me. I'll say it KUSHIDA, loud and clear. You're challenging next, and you will lose. And when you lose, you're done. The letters ‘IWGP’ won't cross your lips ever again. I mean, does the company even know you're challenging? Because if they do, and you lose, what do you think they're going to say? “KUSHIDA, what worth are you to us now? There's not much point in booking you here anymore”. Think about that, worry about that, and act like a challenger.’

3/13 show:

Hiromu: ‘Running away? Me? F##k you! It’s your fault and lack of appeals that you lost your position for IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship match. If you want that challenge, get louder and louder!! (glancing over the IWGP Jr. Belt on his shoulder) Hey, Hey belt?! Do you hate Kushida? (putting ear against the belt) I see I see, I thought so too! Kushida!! This belt and I hate you so f#*king much--------!!!’

3/14 show:

Hiromu: (Speaking to the belt on his right shoulder) ' Hey my belt, how was Kushida today? Do you think Kushida is doing a great work recently? (Pressing his ear to the belt) I totally agree with you! He still has a few missing bits! If he continues like that, he will lose his place on the match card. Muhahaha! You think so too? Is there something that you want me to tell to Kushida? (Once again, pressing his ear to the belt and nods his head and speaks out “ Yes, Yes” as everyone can hear his reply)I will let him know for sure. The belt has a message for Kushida. What is it?! We wanna have fun more and more. Give it to us!'

3/15 show:

Hiromu: ‘Aaugh--! I’m f##king bored. Hey, challenger! Your appeals still suck! Challenger! Give me more and more! Get f#*king crazy and go nuts!’

Translated from https://www.njpw1972.com/.

Finally getting around to watching Sakura Genesis. I want to see how bad this injury looks...

Also, Omega should have gone to WWE. Dude has been proper wasted since staying with NJPW.

Holy shit...Juice beat Naito. That was the coolest part of Sakura Genesis. I don't remember being so proud of a wrestler in a long while. Get some, Juice.

With the way Hiromu dominated KUSHIDA i can't see him losing the title for quite some time.

That match was crazy...and at least Kushida had that explosive start where he came flying out of goddamn nowhere. It was all downhill for him after that, but it was a good start. :lol:

I wasn't a fan of Juice Robinson's stuff before coming to Japan. When he ended up in NJPW, I thought he was just another mediocre gaijin that they picked up because of the way he looks. The crazy thing is, I love him now. The fact that he looks and carries himself like a star is a nice bonus. I hope NJPW gets really serious about this US expansion, and if they can poach some big names that would be amazing. But if all they have for now is Juice Robinson, I think that's a great start. If the goal is to push a couple of western stars, I actually think Juice is a better choice than Kenny Omega in some ways.

I was getting on the CJ Parker train when he broke Owens' nose in NXT.

Not because he broke his nose, obviously...but because that fire that he has in NJPW was starting to come out at that point. Then I kind of forgot about him and didn't really think about him again until I started watching NJPW on a regular basis...at which point, Juice really stood out head and shoulders above the other young boys in terms of the work he was putting in and his ability to interact with the crowd. Him and Jay White quickly became two of my favorite guys to watch...not just in that rookie position, but on the entire product.

Omega stayed because he wants to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

Well, having pillow fights with Yano isn't the way to do that. Someone should tell him.

Lol, just wait, then. He pinned Ishii clean in that match and is going to have a singles match with him on one of the next shows. This is the start of his big title win, I'm sure of it. And no, he hasn't been wasted since re-signing with NJPW. Booking there is a million times better than in WWE, atm.

Anyways, I really hope these rumours of Shibata's career being in jeopardy aren't true. Dude is gonna kill himself in the ring, he said it himself that he wrestles the way he wants to wrestle and if they won't let him he wrestle that wait he'd rather stop, or something like that. More worried about his health than D-Bry's if he continues to headbutt dudes like he do.

Lol, just wait, then. He pinned Ishii clean in that match and is going to have a singles match with him on one of the next shows. This is the start of his big title win, I'm sure of it. And no, he hasn't been wasted since re-signing with NJPW. Booking there is a million times better than in WWE, atm.

Incredibly subjective.

NJPW still does plenty of stupid shit that just gets a pass because it's NJPW...

Incredibly subjective.

NJPW still does plenty of stupid shit that just gets a pass because it's NJPW...

Overall booking? I'd love to hear anyone make a case for the WWE. There's plot holes on a weekly basis on both their shows.

Archived