King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That card is pretty intriguing.

Flyers being handed out to promote the Long Beach, CA New Japan Pro Wrestling debut for this July featured Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kenny Omega and Tetsuya Naito; these shows are being called G1 Specials, but are not officially part of the yearly G1 tournament. They are stacking the shows I order to make a good first impression.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/various-news-top-stars-advertised-for-july-njpw-us-shows-update-on-tonights-smackdown-dark-matches/

Kenny Omega on his surprise exit from the New Japan Cup and his future global plans: https://www.njpw1972.com/5306

NJPW U.S. G1 Specials in Long Beach, CA Ticket On Sale Information Revealed: http://411mania.com/wrestling/njpw-u-s-g1-specials-ticket-on-sale-information-revealed/

“Jado’s DDT that match was definitely the hardest one I’ve ever felt. After it hit, I noticed I couldn’t feel anything below my neck. I could hear everyone rush to my side, but I couldn’t hear my own voice. I tried to speak, but nothing… Then little by little, things went black. ‘Ahhh, guess this is what it’s like, crossing the river Styx,’ I thought. That’s when I heard a voice calling me. It was an enlightening experience to say the least. I’ve been able move my feet and hands quite a bit since then, but currently I’m still paralyzed from the neck down. So the staff is kindly typing this journal entry for me. While my body may be what it is now, I’m getting better day by day. I’ll focus on my rehabilitation and be back in the NJPW ring for sure. Nothing can quell this burning desire I have to get back in there. Pro wrestling is not broken or at fault here. This was simply an accident between two professionals.”

Honma ^

- NJPW Sakura Genesis takes place tomorrow at 3am EST, live on NJPW World (about $9 a month) and will have English commentary with Kevin Kelly and Don Callis. Shibata won the New Japan Cup in March and challenged Okada to a match at this event. Here is the full card:

* Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Thunder Liger & David Finlay vs. Hirai Kawato, Tomoyuki Oka & Katsuya Kitamura

* Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Tiger Mask W & Tiger Mask IV vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi

* YOSHI-HASHI, Beretta & Rocky Romero vs. Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & El Desperado

* Taichi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Jado & Gedo (IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Championship)

* Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale

* Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet (Doctor told him to rest, most likely out of this match) vs. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, SANADA & BUSHI

* Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Hanson & Ray Rowe (IWGP Tag Team Championship)

* Hirooki Goto vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (NEVER Openweight Championship)

* Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA (IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship)

* Kazuchika Okada vs. Katsuyori Shibata (IWGP Heavyweight Championship)

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0408/625068/roh-signs-wrestler-to-full-time-contract/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Guest Fight Me.

How long has Trent been going by just Beretta?

Since RPG Vice formed, so like 2 years. I think he's still Trent? in PWG though.

Guess the match with Okada took quite a toll on Shibata. After the match he collapsed backstage and was taken to a hospital.

https://twitter.com/wrestlingirlJPN/status/851096182323429376

Update regarding Katsuyori Shibata’s condition

Katsuyori Shibata was taken to hospital due to poor health following his main event match on April 9th at Ryogoku Sumo Hall. He was conscious and able to communicate while being admitted to hospital.

After a medical examination, he was diagnosed with subdural hematoma and surgery was conducted as part of his treatment. He is now recovering following a successful operation.

Updates will be posted as his condition progresses.

New Japan Pro-Wrestling Co., Ltd.

https://www.njpw1972.com/6670

FUK how did shibata not go over...felt incredibly right (+ the way match was executed Okada looked soooo weak throughout, ESPECIALLY on the finish...v weird; i didn't think it was a problem at all in the Suzuki defence but absolutely felt it here)

anyway rly great match on an ok show

More on Shibata:

New Japan Pro wrestling reports that Katsuyori Shibata collapsed after yesterdays NJPW SAKURA GENESIS event, where hr faced Kazuckika Okada. There were reports that Shibata passed out after the match; NJPW confirms he was taken to the hospital and diagnosed with a subdural hematoma. Surgery was performed, was considered a success, and Shibata is recovering and resting.

According to WebMD, A subdural hematoma is a collection of blood outside the brain. Subdural hematomas are usually caused by severe head injuries. The bleeding and increased pressure on the brain from a subdural hematoma can be life-threatening. Some subdural hematomas stop and resolve spontaneously; others require surgical drainage.

Shibata often does a head butt spot in his matches, which leads to him busting himself open. He did that spot at SAKURA GENESIS.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/katsuyori-shibata-hospitalized-after-yesterdays-njpw-sakura-genesis-event/

Yeah, I'm completely over Okada at this point. I never liked the guy a whole lot...but retaining against Omega and Shibata has been enough to put me over the fence. Definitely bored with the man. I mean...he's still "THE" guy for having five star matches in main events...but it's high time that he lost that belt to someone who deserves a chance of their own. I really think it ought to have been Omega...

New Japan Pro Wrestling announced the lineups for Wrestling Toyonokuni and Wrestling Dontaku at a press conference this morning.

The shows will be headlined by title matches that were set up at Sakura Genesis. Kazuchika Okada is set to defend the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Bad Luck Fale in the main event of Wrestling Dontaku on May 3rd, while Tetsuya Naito will put his IWGP Intercontinental title on the line against Juice Robinson in the top match at Wrestling Toyonokuni on April 29th.

Wrestling Dontaku will also feature another singles match between Kenny Omega and Tomohiro Ishii, which could have future title implications for the winner.

Two other titles will be up for grabs at a smaller show on April 27th, where Hirooki Goto will defend the NEVER Openweight Championship against Minoru Suzuki and Roppongi Vice will challenge for Taichi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru's IWGP Junior tag titles.

Due to what NJPW reported to be a subdural hematoma, Katsuyori Shibata underwent emergency surgery following his match at Sakura Genesis and will miss this upcoming tour as a precaution.

Wrestling Toyonokuni on April 29th will have --

Jushin Thunder Liger, Tomoyuki Oka & Hirai Kawato vs. Tiger Mask IV, Katsuya Kitamura & Shota Umino (another new young lion making his debut soon on the April 13th Lions Gate show)

Rocky Romero, Beretta & Jado vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi & El Desperado

Ryusuke Taguchi & Yoshitatsu (returning from CMLL) vs. SANADA & BUSHI

Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & David Finlay vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Roa & Yujiro Takahashi

Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku

Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi defending against Ricochet

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. EVIL

IWGP Intercontinental Champion Tetsuya Naito defending against Juice Robinson

Wrestling Dontaku will follow on May 3rd and will feature --

Yoshitatsu & Hirai Kawato vs. Tomoyuki Oka & Katsuya Kitamura

YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens

Tiger Mask W, Tiger Mask IV & Togi Makabe vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Jushin Thunder Liger

Hirooki Goto, Toru Yano, Jado, Rocky Romero & Beretta vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi & El Desperado

David Finlay vs. Cody

Juice Robinson & KUSHIDA vs. Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi

NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Champions Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet defending against SANADA, EVIL & BUSHI

IWGP Tag Team Champions War Machine defending against Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima and Guerillas of Destiny in a three-way match

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada defending against Bad Luck Fale

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/njpw-reveals-cards-wrestling-dontaku-and-wrestling-toyonokuni-233411?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Archived