King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Takahashi, why didn't he keep the name Kamaitachi? I thought it was a lot cooler and he used it in ROH when representing NJPW.

That was his CMLL gimmick.

Not just CMLL, he used it in ROH and PWG too. I don't mind him changing but now it's kinda weird having two Takahashi's on the same roster.

Speaking of Takahashi, why didn't he keep the name Kamaitachi? I thought it was a lot cooler and he used it in ROH when representing NJPW.

That was his CMLL gimmick.

Not just CMLL, he used it in ROH and PWG too. I don't mind him changing but now it's kinda weird having two Takahashi's on the same roster.

Yes, but it was a creation from CMLL. Originally masked.

And no, I didnt include the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight match because I thought it sucked. Hiromu Takahashi is *censored*ing awful. As long as he's champion, I'll be skipping whatever matches he has.

You can't be serious. What is so *censored*ing awful about him? Come on, make my day.

He's cringey asf to me and he was botching all over the place. I think his look his horrible too. The stupid ads red dyed hair and the furry boots. :lol: From an in ring standpoint, I don't think his offense is fluid at all. The first time I ever saw him was in ROH when he was aligned with Daniels & Kaz. Instant go away heat from me.

I groaned when I found out he was repacked and brought back to NJPW. He didn't change my stance at all really in the Jr. Heavyweight Title match. Sure, it had some cool spots, but I thought the match sucked.

He's your favorite? Fine. I don't care. But I think he's lame. Care to continue or you gonna throw links at me of his great matches? I don't really care.

His look is very anime villianish.

You're right, he does. Just not my preference.

YOSHI-HASHI has the crazy over the top hair too and I don't like it, nor do i really like him, but he started to grow on me.

Best compliment I can give to Takahashi is that I like his coat lol.

For those not aware that have NJPW world. CMLL since very recently can also be seen on it.

They're region locked...exclusive only to Japan. I just checked again, because you got my hopes up. Got the same error message as always. :lol:

Wasn't Juice Robinson named after a Baywatch character when he was in NXT?

CJ Parker was indeed the name of Pamela Anderson's Baywatch character...but whether or not that was a coincidence or intentional...I couldn't begin to tell you. And as for the name "Juice"...his real name is Joe Robinson...and apparently Juice is a common nickname for people named Joe. Which I never understood...but my dad has a friend named Joe "Juice" as well...so it's definitely a common thing.

Wasn't Juice Robinson named after a Baywatch character when he was in NXT?

CJ Parker was indeed the name of Pamela Anderson's Baywatch character...but whether or not that was a coincidence or intentional...I couldn't begin to tell you. And as for the name "Juice"...his real name is Joe Robinson...and apparently Juice is a common nickname for people named Joe. Which I never understood...but my dad has a friend named Joe "Juice" as well...so it's definitely a common thing.

I got the hookups on the origin of the CJ Parker name.

CJP: Let’s talk about that because I don’t need anyone else tweeting me about that. I know, CJ Parker is Pam Anderson from Baywatch. I knew that right away and I told them. I said, “Hey, this is Pam Anderson’s name from Baywatch. There’s no way it can get past legal, right?” Nope, it got right past legal. I don’t know if it was a rib or nobody cared or whatnot, but CJ Parker was legally able to be me. Pam Anderson, no Pam Anderson, it didn’t matter.

Alex Obert: Were any other names pitched for you? Did you present them with any other names?

CJP: CJ Parker wasn’t what I pitched. I had CJ something and then something Parker, a different first name and a different last name. They kind of mixed and matched my ideas and came up with CJ Parker. I don’t mind CJ the first name and Parker the last name, but I don’t want CJ Parker because that’s Pam Anderson from Baywatch. That’s not me. But it is what it is and I just tried to make the best of it. Whatever, now there’s two CJ Parkers.

For those not aware that have NJPW world. CMLL since very recently can also be seen on it.

They're region locked...exclusive only to Japan. I just checked again, because you got my hopes up. Got the same error message as always. :lol:

Oh i see, my bad. I had a region blocker on so that's why i could see them.

Well as it turns out CMLL also uploads their full shows on to their youtube channel.

New Japan Pro Wrestling has announced that they are changing all of their wrestler contracts to multi-year deals. NJPW feels somewhat under threat from WWE who are in the midst of signing as many top talent as they can from Japan, United Kingdom and American independents. This will be seen as a smart move to protect their brand going forward.

https://twitter.com/enuhito_eng/status/818424990303301632

As for NJPW star Kenny Omega he noted a few days ago that he is taking time off from Japan. He is presumed back in Japan in several weeks while he takes some time to heal following his match with Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 11. Speculation is rife that he may actually not go back to Japan and head to WWE.

John Cena posted a photo of Omega on his Instagram which has added a ton of speculation to the rumors that Omega might appear at the Royal Rumble, although it should be noted that Omega's contract with NJPW ends of the 1/31, the Rumble takes place on the 1/29.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/44808/NJPW-Changing-Talent-Contracts-To-Multi-Year-Deals-Update-On/

That actually seems like a dangerous move, IMO...like it might push people away who do want to weigh their options. Not really sure if that's what is best for NJPW to be doing right now. I get the idea behind it...but it seems like one of those ideas that sounds better on paper than actually in effect.

You're gonna have people who are unsure if they want to commit...and NJPW only offering multi-tear contracts might be just the thing that makes them say "I'll try WWE for a year" instead of signing with NJPW...

As we noted over the weekend, New Japan Pro Wrestling star Kenny Omega has released several comments following his loss at Wrestle Kingdom 11 during which Omega has teased leaving NJPW or possibly taking some time off.

There has been speculation that Omega’s comments have been story line related, but there has also been speculation that Omega might be interested in WWE. The WWE speculation heated up as John Cena posted two Kenny Omega related Instagram photos.

With regards to Omega and WWE, Dave Meltzer noted on the most recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that Omega’s NJPW deal does not expire until January 31st, making it impossible for Omega to debut with WWE in this year’s Royal Rumble match.

Meltzer added there are people in NJPW who believe that Omega had already re-signed with the company and will be returning in March for the New Japan Cup. Those same people added they felt Omega’s comments about potentially leaving NJPW were simply a case of The Elite member “messing with people”. Meltzer noted Omega re-signing with NJPW has not been confirmed as of this writing.

Omega has been outspoken about WWE as of late, and just days before his Wrestle Kingdom match he criticized WWE in an interview, believing that the company was creating a monopoly that was taking options away from wrestling fans. “WWE is hiring people just to hire them … as everyone gets picked up, as all these independent promotions have to shut down and close their doors because of WWE scooping everyone up, everyone’s going to lose an option.”

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/817323227886125056

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/792159-backstage-news-on-kenny-omegas-njpw-status-when-his-contract-expires-and-the-possibility-of-him-entering-the-royal-rumble

New Japan Pro Wrestling released the official lineups for their New Beginning events, which will stream live on NJPWWorld.com. The Bullet Club is notable by their absence on the lineups

2/5 New Beginning in Sapporo

*KUSHIDA & Hirai Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun's Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado.

*Yuji Nagata & Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Yoshitatsu & David Finlay & Henare.

*Katsuyori Shibata & Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask IV vs. CHAOS' Will Ospreay & Gedo & Jado.

*YOSHI-HASHI vs. Takashi Iizuka.

*Michael Elgin & Hiroshi Tanahashi & Manabu Nakanishi & Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs. Tetsuya Naito & SANADA & EVIL & BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi;

*IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team champions Roppongi Vice vs. Suzuki-gun's AKA Michinoku & Taichi.

*NEVER Openweight champion Hirooki Goto vs. Juice Robinson.

*IWGP Tag Team champions Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. The Killer Elite Squad.

*IWGP champion Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki.

2/11 New Beginning in Osaka:

*Yoshitatsu & Hirai Kawato vs. David Finlay & Henare.

*Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & KUSHIDA vs. Suzuki-gun's Takashi Iizuka & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado.

*Juice Robinson & Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask IV vs. YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo & Jado.

*CHAOS' Kazuchika Okada & Rocky Romero & Beretta) vs. Suzuki-gun's Minoru Suzuki & TAKA Michinoku & Taichi.

*NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team champions Hiroshi Tanahashi & Manabu Nakanishi & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. SANADA & EVIL & BUSHI.

*Revolution Pro champion Katsuyori Shibata vs. Will Ospreay.

*IWGP Tag Team champions Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Killer Elite Squad.

*IWGP Junior Heavyweight champion Hiromu Takahashi vs. Dragon Lee.

*IWGP Intercontinental champion Tetsuya Naito vs. Michael Elgin.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=107010

ha ha pretty much, I got 6 minutes in, and that's all it is, saying Kenny should have been blackballed from wrestling forever, for exposing the business by wrestling a blow up doll!

He's so out of touch, so so out of touch, the 5 star matches he talks about are from a time before the business was ever exposed as a work; I'm pretty sure it was exposed ever before Omega wrested a doll.

Cornette once managed Mantaur, supposedly a man with a head of a bull.....Nuff said!

Guest Fight Me.

If anything, being able to put on good matches with a blow up doll, a nine year old girl and be able to put on the classic that he did at the Tokyo Dome should tell you how talented Kenny Omega is.

If anything, being able to put on good matches with a blow up doll, a nine year old girl and be able to put on the classic that he did at the Tokyo Dome should tell you how talented Kenny Omega is.

BUT IT'S A JOKE AND EXPOZES DAH BIZNUS!

Archived