King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I would argue much lol

I know Omega is deserving of all the praise he gets, but...how great has Okada become aswell?

At this rate, he's putting himself up there really quick. I don't even think the dude has reached his prime yet, and he's managed to consistently put on multiple 5-star matches since 2012.

I gotta burn these pants after watching Omega vs Okada.

I'm definitely paying for NJPW World now.

The rest of the show was decent. Cody was cool but hopefully we get better from him as he moves up the ranks. Get him in a match with Shibata, I wanna see that for some strange reason. Get the tattoo kicked off his chest.

Speaking of Shibata, second year in a row where he put on my second favorite match of the night. Him and Goto killed each other. The no-selling is honestly my favorite thing when it's done in that fashion. Them *Censored*s didn't sell a gotdamn thing and it was wonderful.

Cole and O'Reilly had a good match but they've had better.

Tag matches were aight.

I didn't look through the rest of this topic but I hope I ain't the only one who was kinda underwhelmed by Naito/Tanahashi. Felt flat. In reference to my point about no-selling, wasn't a fan of Tanahashi's no-selling. You gotta sell limb damage at least a little bit especially if Naito is selling. Man spent like a solid 30 seconds at least of getting his knee kicked in only for him to spring up to the top rope very shortly after. But besides that, still wasn't all that to me. Also, someone tell me if Naito was selling or if he was really asleep when Tanahashi landed that High Fly Flow on his head.

Yesterday I woke up to nonstop tweets from wrestlers and fans saying Omega and Okada put on the best match they have ever seen. I thought my expectations were impossibly high after that but these two gods exceeded them. Omega owns wrestling now. He should be able to walk into WWE and sign a deal that says "I don't like having my time wasted with bullshit booking. I'll be a part-timer here and still wrestle wherever the *Censored* else I want to wrestle whenever I want." and if WWE were smart they would offer him that. Have Omega come in only for big feuds. I would be A okay with that.

Still gotta watch New Year's Dash and I missed KUSHIDA vs Takahashi so I gotta watch that too.

I think Omega said something recently about taking New Japan to the top and not going to the WWE so he won't contribute to their monopoly or something like that. Also think he said he wants to be the legend that never stepped into the WWE.

New Japan is never going to top the WWE, at least not in the states anyways. As I have said, if New Japan announces a PPV event, live on US Television in America on the same night as a WWE PPV or WWE Raw, all the WWE has to do is to announce ahead of time, their "ace in the hole" who happens to be a certain "People's Champion." If for some reason, one of the thousand movies he has in the works prevents him from appearing, they'll bring back Stone Cold Steve Austin for an in-ring promo.

But the Rock is the WWE's "Ace in the hole." If the WWE feels threatened by New Japan or TNA, they will announce ahead of time that the Rock is coming back and they will beat that down to death because (and I may get blasted for this) but:

The Rock > anybody in New Japan including Omega.

Well, the Rock is a bigger star than anybody in wrestling and he's probably bigger in Japan than any wrestler because of his movies. This is from the standpoint of the casual wrestling fans. I have many friends who are casual wrestling fans and when I told them about Wrestle Kingdom 11, they passed and said "let us know when the Rock is coming back to the WWE." New Japan has the better talent than the WWE, but that won't matter to the casual wrestling fans. To them, it's "when's the Rock coming back to the WWE?" or "will Hulk Hogan come back to the WWE?"

I am looking at this from how the Casual wrestling fans would feel? Now, the Rock would not be the only reason. The WWE would also announce Stone Cold, HBK and Taker, but none of those are as "transcendent" as The Rock. All of my friends who are casual fans know Stone Cold, HBK and Taker as well and are looking forward to seeing two of them on Monday.

Now I know that WWE fans these days complain about old stars and part timers coming back, but if the WWE has any chance to beat New Japan or TNA again, they bring these guys back to do non-wrestling stuff, announce it ahead of time and beat those announcements to death on Social Media and on WWE TV.

The WWE announces Stone Cold, The Rock, HBK, Taker, possibly Hulk Hogan and whoever else, they lure the casuals back in, if only for a few weeks.

I think Omega said something recently about taking New Japan to the top and not going to the WWE so he won't contribute to their monopoly or something like that. Also think he said he wants to be the legend that never stepped into the WWE.

Well that's just not gonna work. I'll fight that *Censored* myself. There are too many matches we gotta see for the culture. But really this is just another reason why WWE should join the rest of the wrestling world.

Well that's just not gonna work. I'll fight that *Censored* myself. There are too many matches we gotta see for the culture. But really this is just another reason why WWE should join the rest of the wrestling world.

I agree about the matches but he gave a fair answer.

Also gave us this hilarious answer.

This IWGP title means more with me than any WWE championship. The WWE belt means nothing, it means absolutely nothing. They pass around that belt like a hot potato. I probably have a neighbor on my block who held that belt at one point. There is no prestige to that belt whatsoever.

If only we all lived in a perfect world.

Right, after watching that main event twice I can honestly say it's one of, if not the, best wrestling matches I've ever seen. I'd be very surprised to see any match compete with that this year. *censored*ing hell, emotional rollercoaster is an understament, I thought I would have a heart attack watching it. 45 minutes of pure gold.

After watching New Year's Dash I really want to see Shibata kick Ospreay's shit in and Suzuki vs Okada.

Just got around to watching Wrestle Kingdom 11. Holy damn what a show. Few things:

- Scott fn Norton. Holy crap and hes still huuuuuuuge.

- Still not a Young Bucks fan but their constant shit talking is great.

- Speaking of shit talking, i was pissing myself at that tag match with Tonga & Toe. Corino dying on commentary made it worse that shit was hilarious.

- Im amazed Kusida didnt break that dudes arm.

- Shibata continues to be a highlight for me. Hes such a *censored*ing badass but for that matter Goto is too. He basically executed Shibata to beat him lol amazing finishers.

- Really enjoyed the IC title match but holy *Censored* that main event. I dont really like Okadas Rainmaker but my god the way it built around him hitting the right one & doing his damndest to avoid Omegas One Wing Angel was amazing. Fantastic match and i really thought Omega was gunna win. I gotta watch that match again.

Overall a damn great show. Wrestle Kingdom never dissapoints.

Apologies if this was posted. I haven't watched all of WK11 so I skipped all the spoilers.

Kenny Omega posted the following on Twitter, teasing that he is stepping away from Japan to reassess his future

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/817323227886125056

http://411mania.com/wrestling/kenny-omega-teases-leaving-japan/

Archived