King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

He'll be fine in RoH or LU...maybe even re-sign with WWE for the CW division or NXT. There are opportunities all over for a guy like Sydal. I don't think he needs to worry. Eventually, I'm sure he'll be welcome back in Japan as well. Lucky for him, the wrestling industry as a whole seems to be in a boom period right now. He can really go anywhere and find success, IMO.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NJPW president had this to say. Spread out over 9 tweets.

"WWE strategy 1: raise roughly 2 billion Yen from the network to create a network of global territories and tie up talent. It’s very possible WWE purchase a promotion in Japan. WWE are shoring up their network because of cable cutters and prevalence of streaming, meaning declining TV ratings. The cable TV structure as is will collapse in the US within 3-5 years. There are many reasons for WWE to create local territories. It cuts cost just to send talent on international tours and not the whole infrastructure. WWE are only functionally profitable in the U.S., Canada and U.K. They have TV elsewhere but that's all. By creating territories, they're able to actually create products with awareness of cultural differences and characteristics of markets. WWE have had difficulty in creating new stars. By going to local territories and broadcasting them, they can create network stars. WWE are taking big gambles, in IT for one. This isn't the platform to discuss NJPW strategy fully but we will announce something soon. We are entering a phase where you are either with WWE or against them. WWE have a lot of weaknesses and time is not on their side."

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/809922263088656386?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

New Japan vs. WWE in Japan has a better chance of New Japan winning than if the two competed in America. If the two competed in America, New Japan would no doubt have the better in-ring product, but the WWE would crush them in mainstream attention, especially when they have ways to counter New Japan in America: in other words, if New Japan announces a super show in America, the WWE will try their hardest to get a certain "People's Champion" to appear and announce his appearance ahead of time, on the same night as the New Japan Show. If not, then a certain "Texas Rattlesnake" or even a UFC Fighter or two.

New Japan has a greater chance of beating WWE in Japan and I do hope that's what they concentrate on and not go to America to compete against the WWE. I'd prefer to see New Japan's presence in America as it stands right now via ROH.

Kenny Omega recently spoke with Ring Rust Radio while promoting his upcoming title match against Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 11 in Japan. You can read a few highlights, as well as listen to the full interview below:

Kenny Omega comments on if there’s pressure to perform at Wrestle Kingdom 11, what winning the championship would mean to him:

It’s strange because I don’t feel a lot of pressure. Tokyo Dome is a strange place to say the least. From the outside looking in, it would seem like this is our biggest show and guys will feel like it’s time to turn it up and give it your all because it’s that one and only time of year where everyone’s watching and this is why. You have to show why New Japan Pro Wrestling is one of the best and biggest promotions on the planet. I look at the Tokyo Dome as more of a celebration. We work hard all year and it’s kind of like a reward for that year of long and hard work leading up to the Tokyo Dome. It’s a beautiful building, huge capacity, we have the pyro, the light show and special attractions galore. It’s just a fun experience. A lot of guys bring their families out and that’s a rare opportunity for a lot of our families who live in Canada, the US or different countries to come out and watch us live. It really is just a fun time to do what we love to do in front of the largest audience we have all year. To be in the main event, I should feel pressure and there are a lot of people that are expecting a lot from me, my company included. I expect a lot from myself. You’re going to have people that want you to fail, people that doubt you should be in that position, and I just want to shut those guys up. I do feel confident that if I just bring the package that I’ve been bringing all year, the match should be fine and the fans should be going home happy, so looking I am forward to it.

Omega comments on international broadcasting having an effect on how he performs:

In general, I try to make the company appeal to a broader audience. There once was this idea that we really had to protect old school, strong-style wrestling and the company didn’t really want to change up the style that made them famous since the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80s. They really wanted to be New Japan: King of Sports. This is where we do strong style, but as of late, they’ve really taken this more hybrid entertainment approach. I think they recognize that as a performer, I really do take pride in being an all-around performer and I can do whatever style is required for the match and whatever style is required for the crowd. Really, what I’ve been trying to do all year is I’ve been trying to have matches that the live house is going to appreciate, but also whoever’s tuning in around the world won’t get lost in translation. Whatever they are watching on TV, they are going to be able to find entertaining. It’s hard to find the balance, but I’ve had a degree of success more or less pleasing more people than disappointing.

Omega comments on whether or not AJ Styles and Finn Balor’s success in WWE motivates him or has an effect on his career:

The way they’ve carved their own path is really original to their own character. Finn Balor has a very unique appearance and the way that he goes about his business shouldn’t be mimicked. If I showed up to NXT for example and started to play Mr. dress up, I’ll just look like a cheaper copy, right? AJ Styles had the great debut at the Royal Rumble and segued that into pretty much main event status. That is great and I’m really happy and proud of those guys, but I’ve always placed my priority on building a legacy in Japan first and foremost. AJ did a lot in a short time a New Japan. Finn Balor was one of the mainstays of the junior division, but I do think if he stayed he probably would have been a heavyweight draw as well. I feel like I don’t want to leave something incomplete in Japan if I do decide to move on. I love the country, I love the people and I do feel a sense of loyalty and I do feel like the best years and the best ideas I have in my brain should be given to accomplishing the dreams that I have had for New Japan. Doing what I did as a junior, doing what I did in the G1, main eventing in the Tokyo Dome, these are all things that neither AJ nor Finn did in their time in New Japan, so I like to think that all three of us are etching our very different path in pro wrestling. As happy and proud as I am for them, I don’t ever want to mimic or follow in their footsteps. If I do something I want it to be something completely original or an industry first or something that’s never been done before.

Omega reveals his fantasy booking scenario where Bullet Club versus New Day could take place:

In a fantasy situation, it would be great for not only us to go there to have a match, but I would love for it to go both ways. I would love to have New Day come to New Japan as well so that both types of fans would be able to see the differences in product and wrester. I really do feel like surprising people. I wouldn’t want to be built up through video packages. I would love for it to just be really spur of the moment and take people off guard and make it just something they would never see coming. People understand that this is an unlikely scenario and people that are contracted can’t just waltz in the company and issue challenges. There’s so much more that goes behind the business of pro wrestling and the politics you can’t do it. For it to work that way would be such a treat for the fans and that’s the only reason why we were ever so serious about doing it to begin with. We didn’t care about contracts, who’s going to win, who’s going to lose, what day it is going to be, which days is this guy going to miss; we just wanted it to happen. The fans wanted it to happen and even the fans that didn’t know about our social media rivalry wanted it to happen. I do think if they saw it, people would enjoy it and they would love it. This is something that would cause pro wrestling to grow even more so as a whole. Not WWE, not New Japan; just pro wrestling. Cool stuff like that just doesn’t happen anymore. Everything is more predictable, in my opinion.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/787223-kenny-omega-talks-pressures-of-facing-okada-at-wrestle-kingdom-11-balor-styles-success-in-wwe-best-scenario-for-bullet-club-vs-the-new-day

Former WWE superstar Billy Gunn was featured on the Five Questions with segment on Sports Illustrated this week, and below are some highlights:

How he got the NJPW offer:

After I was let go by the Performance Center, I was out working indies. After everything Ive accomplished, I have a pretty good name and Im easy to work with. As long as youre cool with me, Im cool with you. I liked doing some indie stuff for a year, then Lance Hoyt called me and said that the New Japan office was looking for me to go over to Japan and do this tag tournament. If its a tag tournament and you have room, why not have me? My partner was Yoshi and hes trying to do this Hunter Club thing, so they figured I could help him a little bit. Thats something Ive always wanted to do, so I jumped on it.

Returning to WWE:

Of course I would. I loved coaching. That is my thing I love teaching people that want to learn this business. I would go back in a minute if asked. Coaching was such a different avenue for me, and I didnt think that I had it in me. When Paul [Levesque] hired me, he goes, You cant be one the boys, and weve got to trial run to see if youll be a good coach. Just because youre good in the ring doesnt mean youll be a good coach. There are different personalities who you have to coach, and youve got to be able to adjust. For me, a big part of coaching is having a trust for the students that are in your class. If they trust you, and you dont talk beneath them, you can create an even playing field. Yes, what I say goes, but there has to be an open discussion. As long as they trust me, then theyre going to listen to me and then theyll learn. If they dont trust me, then what I say goes on deaf ears and they go out there and do whatever. As a coach, I had to have a relationship with every one of my students. I would love to go back.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/787021-billy-gunn-talks-how-he-got-his-new-japan-pro-wrestling-offer-if-he-would-want-to-return-to-wwe-as-a-performance-center-coach-more

Great news for NJPW fans as the company has announced they will air EVERY title match of 2016 for free with no sign up required to their streaming service NJPW World!

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/814082103465758722

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/44704/NJPW-World-Airing-Every-Title-Match-Of-2016-For/

The current plan is for New Japan Pro Wrestling to run the first two nights of the 2017 G-1 Climax tournament in July at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, California.

New Japan star Rocky Romero and George Carroll, a New England based independent wrestling personality who did some website work for Ring of Honor, were recently in Long Beach doing ground work for the dates.

NJPW traditionally announces major dates for the year during the 1/4/17 Dome show.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=106790

"WWE strategy 1: raise roughly 2 billion Yen from the network to create a network of global territories and tie up talent. Its very possible WWE purchase a promotion in Japan. WWE are shoring up their network because of cable cutters and prevalence of streaming, meaning declining TV ratings. The cable TV structure as is will collapse in the US within 3-5 years. There are many reasons for WWE to create local territories. It cuts cost just to send talent on international tours and not the whole infrastructure. WWE are only functionally profitable in the U.S., Canada and U.K. They have TV elsewhere but that's all. By creating territories, they're able to actually create products with awareness of cultural differences and characteristics of markets. WWE have had difficulty in creating new stars. By going to local territories and broadcasting them, they can create network stars. WWE are taking big gambles, in IT for one. This isn't the platform to discuss NJPW strategy fully but we will announce something soon. We are entering a phase where you are either with WWE or against them. WWE have a lot of weaknesses and time is not on their side."

As far as his "WWE strategy", he's smart as shit for coming up with that. Sounds very plausible. As far as NJPW Vs. WWE, I'm not sure thats a war New Japan can win.

"WWE strategy 1: raise roughly 2 billion Yen from the network to create a network of global territories and tie up talent. Its very possible WWE purchase a promotion in Japan. WWE are shoring up their network because of cable cutters and prevalence of streaming, meaning declining TV ratings. The cable TV structure as is will collapse in the US within 3-5 years. There are many reasons for WWE to create local territories. It cuts cost just to send talent on international tours and not the whole infrastructure. WWE are only functionally profitable in the U.S., Canada and U.K. They have TV elsewhere but that's all. By creating territories, they're able to actually create products with awareness of cultural differences and characteristics of markets. WWE have had difficulty in creating new stars. By going to local territories and broadcasting them, they can create network stars. WWE are taking big gambles, in IT for one. This isn't the platform to discuss NJPW strategy fully but we will announce something soon. We are entering a phase where you are either with WWE or against them. WWE have a lot of weaknesses and time is not on their side."

As far as his "WWE strategy", he's smart as shit for coming up with that. Sounds very plausible. As far as NJPW Vs. WWE, I'm not sure thats a war New Japan can win.

As I have said before, New Japan cannot win if they go against the WWE in the States as I am sure the WWE will pull out all of the stops. The WWE will probably just announce that on the very day that New Japan has a show competing head-to-head against them that the Rock will be appearing on that show going against New Japan.

In their minds (at least in America):

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson > New Japan

And they could be right, because a lot more people are interested in seeing the Rock rather than watching a match for the ROH World Title between Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly. Now, I don't think the Rock himself believes he's bigger than New Japan, but the WWE most likely does.

Now if they compete against each other in Japan, that's where I think it gets interesting. I do not know of The Rock's appeal to the masses in Japan, although I would think he's one of the more popular American movie stars in Japan due to the major movies he's been in. If so, the WWE could use him to do a taped promo, or (if he's in the area) to beat New Japan. If not, they'll use Nakamura, Asuka, Itami and Tozawa to headline. Would those four be enough to beat New Japan in Japan though? I don't know. New Japan has a shot at beating the WWE in Japan.

Archived