King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shibata is a strong pick. Would like to see if ROH sends guys like Elgin, Lethal and Strong to the tournament this year. Would love to see a face off between Jay Lethal and Tetsuya Naito. They were an amazing tag team, I can only imagine what a one-on-one match would be like. Adam Cole should be in it this year too as he said he's scheduled to be in Japan in July I believe.

But in reality I think it'll be either Okada or Shibata winning it this year.

New Japan Pro Wrestlings Hiroshi Tanahashi recently spoke with Justin Barrasso for Sports Illustrated Extra Mustards Week In Wrestling Five Questions.

Tanahashi talks about facing Kenny Omega this month in the first-ever NJPW ladder match, his goals for the rest of the year, and more. You can read some highlights below:

Tanahashi talks about his goals for 2016:

I hope to become Ring of Honor world champion. If I get the opportunity to become champion, then Ill come back to the United States every month and wrestle. Soon, I will also challenge [iWGP heavyweight champion] Naito. Unlike Naito, I respect the IWGP championship belt. For now, I am focused on Kenny Omega.

Tanahashi comments on facing Kenny Omega in New Japans first ladder match:

Ive watched Shawn Michaels ladder match against Razor Ramon for inspiration. Now I fight against Omega in a ladder match in Osaka in a date for the Intercontinental title. Sometimes, Kenny Omega uses second and third members from Bullet Club. But this June, Im going to beat all of Bullet Club. I wish I had Shawn Michaels in my corner.

Who did Tanahashi name as his favorite wrestler?

When I became a wrestler, I watched Shawn Michaels every night I could. I love Shawn Michaelss style. Someone once called me the Japanese Shawn Michaels, and I was proud to hear that. Id be too nervous to wrestle him.

Tanahashi comments on his shoulder, how he thinks he will fare in the match:

Pro wrestling is a fight. Sometimes, it is entertainment but deeper than that, it is fighting. I have fought many times, many long matches. I have even been hurt by Kenny Omega. I may be hurt, but Ill be OKbut Im never tired.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/714253-tanahashi-five-questions

Full interview: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/06/01/taz-show-wwe-raw-smackdown-draft-seth-rollins

Hiroshi Tanahashi announced that he will be unable to compete at Dominion due to his shoulder injury. Michael Elgin will replace him in the ladder match for the IWGP Intercontinental championship against Kenny Omega.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=102433

Updated Dominion PPV Line-up

• IWGP World Title match: Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada
  • IWGP IC Title match: Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin (replacing Tanahashi) in a ladder match
  • NEVER Openweight Title match: Yuji Nagata vs. Shibata

http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2016/06/03/big-change-new-japans-dominion-ppv-tanahashi-due-injury-roh-star-replacing-first-ever-njpw-ladder-match/

I'm absolutely devastated that Tanahashi isn't going to be in the ladder match. I know replacing him with Elgin makes the most sense from a story telling standpoint, but I'm not really looking forward to the match anymore. If we're only going to see ladder matches in NJPW once in a blue moon, it would be nice to see some high profile Japanese wrestlers in them instead of gaijins. And reading about how Tanahashi was inspired by HBK vs. Razor made me so hyped. Hopefully some day we'll get to see him in a ladder match.

Highlights of the Will Ospreay vs Ricochet New Japan Pro Wrestling match, which drew the ire of former WCW Champion Big Van Vader, were shown on ESPN’s “Highly Questionable” show last week.

The ESPN episode also featured an appearance by Rey Mysterio as well as WWE coverage. In case you missed it, you can watch the entire Ospreay vs Ricochet match in the video player below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TgbxaQcheQ

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/715347-rusev-brock-lesnar-ufc-200

NJPW have announced that Jay White will be heading to ROH on excursion after Dominion.

The full card for June 19th Dominion show has been released. It features the debut of Adam Page and The Briscoes return to challenge for the IWGP tag team championship. The show will feature:

*Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Jay White, David Finlay & Juice Robinson

*Togi Makabe, Yoshitatsu & Captain New Japan vs Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Adam Page

*Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs. SANADA & BUSHI

*Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL

*IWGP Jr Tag Team Championship - Elimination Match: Matt Sydal & Ricochet vs. ReDRagon vs. RPG Vice vs. The Young Bucks

*IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship: KUSHIDA vs. Will Ospreay

*IWGP Tag Team Championship: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. The Briscoes

*NEVER Openweight Championship: Yuji Nagata vs. Katsuyori Shibata

*IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Ladder Match: Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin

*IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=102551

Someone told me to watch NJPW but then I saw there was no women's roster? wut? now where would I find cute Japanese girls fighting to the death if not here?

Someone told me to watch NJPW but then I saw there was no women's roster? wut? now where would I find cute Japanese girls fighting to the death if not here?

There's quite a bit of joshi out there and the vast majority of it makes women wrestling everywhere else look like complete and utter shit. But if you're looking for girls that also happen to be cute, that helps narrow it down a bit. Joshi is also one of the few genres of wrestling that is still actually kind of hard to follow, even with the internet.

Considering all this, I'd say your best bet is Stardom. Easy to follow. Hot girls. Some of the best wrestlers on the planet.

You can get buy a subscription to their youtube channel and it even has subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzHuZkzGJRUtzIqIVReNLdA/featured

There's quite a bit of joshi out there and the vast majority of it makes women wrestling everywhere else look like complete and utter shit. But if you're looking for girls that also happen to be cute, that helps narrow it down a bit. Joshi is also one of the few genres of wrestling that is still actually kind of hard to follow, even with the internet.

Considering all this, I'd say your best bet is Stardom. Easy to follow. Hot girls. Some of the best wrestlers on the planet.

You can get buy a subscription to their youtube channel and it even has subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzHuZkzGJRUtzIqIVReNLdA/featured

Buy? lol cba paying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=btc0uk99gec

this is a good advertising tho...

fair enough to do it of course but like, do they not put up one free match a week/month or something? seems the best way to advertise. "look at this sick match this week, want more? buy!"

You can start a 14 day free trial though. Click the green button!

lol I don't blame you for not wanting to pay. As long as you don't pay for WWE network either. People drop ten bucks a month on that shit when everything, even the "original programming", can easily be seen on live streams. At least Stardom World is half the price and most of the content can't be seen anywhere else, or if it can, it's way harder to find.

I saw some of their stuff on their Facebook, looks like it panders to me lol. Knowing me I'd forget to cancel it like I did with my Crunchyroll subscription, though CR refunded me.

I don't pay for anything WWE. I only even watch it like, one every other week. Even if I want to, people here are charged more than you 'Muricans. That's an outrage.

Still though, why is there no Joshi in what seems to the biggest Japanese companies? and why are they split into 'HW' and 'Jr HW' divisions? maybe I'm too used to WWE but I prefer anyone fights anyone, with some nice ole eye candy for a bit thrown in.

The best Japanese dudes are coming to WWE all the time anyway lol, though I've heard big things about Okada in the past few months.

I saw some of their stuff on their Facebook, looks like it panders to me lol. Knowing me I'd forget to cancel it like I did with my Crunchyroll subscription, though CR refunded me.

I don't pay for anything WWE. I only even watch it like, one every other week. Even if I want to, people here are charged more than you 'Muricans. That's an outrage.

Still though, why is there no Joshi in what seems to the biggest Japanese companies? and why are they split into 'HW' and 'Jr HW' divisions? maybe I'm too used to WWE but I prefer anyone fights anyone, with some nice ole eye candy for a bit thrown in.

The best Japanese dudes are coming to WWE all the time anyway lol, though I've heard big things about Okada in the past few months.

There's a lot of reasons. One of the biggest Japanese promotions ever WAS a Joshi promotion. All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling was a huge deal and goes way back. It had been on TV since the late 60's. I'm sure you've seen/heard hardcore wrestling nerds gushing on and on about "90's All Japan Women" before. That was the golden age for women's wrestling. It had the biggest stars and some of the best matches ever. It shut down in 2005, but it lasted so long and was so popular that I think the Japanese are just kind of used to men and women being segregated in wrestling now.

As for the weight classes, NJPW has them because basically they go for a more realistic approach when it comes to the overall presentation of their product. If you haven't seen much of their show, it's portrayed more like an actual sport and less like a fantasy world. It's neat because it's one of the only promotions where you'll see a storyline about a cruiserweight trying to bulk up so he can challenge for the HW title. It's different. Having that been said, I've noticed that in recent years it has become more inspired by western style wrestling, and I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced a women's division some day. Personally, I'm partial to the "anyone fights anyone with some eye candy thrown in" too. That's why I love Lucha Underground, because you see men vs. men, men vs. women, giants vs. midgets, ect. I think it makes for really innovative spots and psychology in the matches. If you like that kind of wrestling, DDT is a Japanese promotion worth checking out.

If nothing else, you should check out some joshi stuff that fans have uploaded to youtube to get a feel for it. Here's a couple of names I'd recommend searching.

Io Shirai - The Hiroshi Tanahashi/John Cena of women's wrestling. She's the face of women's wrestling. She has a very flashy in-ring style, she's charismatic, and she's pretty.

Kairi Hojo - Incredible wrestler, total cutie. Best flying elbow in the business. One of my favorites.

Mayu Iwatani - One of the best.

Meiko Satomura - Not as pretty, but she's probably the best female wrestler on the planet, and one of the best wrestlers in general. She would kick your favorite male wrestler's ass.

Hikaru Shida - Not the best wrestler, but super hot. Unique, ass based offense. She had a WWE try-out, and it sounds like she'll probably sign with them some day. Another favorite.

Kris Wolf - Cute American girl that is quickly improving and gaining a cult following.

Syuri - Kind of like a female Hideo Itami. One of Asuka's old rivals. Hard kicks and bad ass intergender matches.

btw sorry for going off topic, guys

Heh it was loosely on topic with why they didn't have women, so I'm sure it's reet. Plus I doubt any mods will be here to tell us off if so XD

I learned some stuff anyway, so good stuff Crowley. You don't seem to be the try hard changed dick or whatever it is people say about you now.

Heh it was loosely on topic with why they didn't have women, so I'm sure it's reet. Plus I doubt any mods will be here to tell us off if so XD

I learned some stuff anyway, so good stuff Crowley. You don't seem to be the try hard changed dick or whatever it is people say about you now.

wvHq7fo.gif

Archived