King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

I laughed for a solid two minutes while watching the match, only for the standard "Ospreay doesn't care for your Frankensteiner" spot to reel me back in. This was in my opinion his most compelling performance, which is no surprise. New Japan's producers have a way of making people who can be a little spot-monkey-ish to really buy into their style. Happened with Elgin, Davey Richards, even Young Bucks, and so on. And once you add NJPW's logical way of putting matches to Ospreay's obvious gifts (athletic ability, fire, being an amazing seller when he wants to), it seemed obvious to me he would thrive. NJPW really was the best thing for his career IMO.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would buy a Los Ingobernables shirt but $40 bucks for a wrestling shirt that isn't coming from Japan is way too much.

Wait for them to re-stock them here:

http://www.njpweurope.com/

Have they released any candid shots of Naito with the title yet?

Yahoo Japan has some.

http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/photo/fight/

Problem is that PWT is the only one that sell 4XL shirt. I would probably just buy the Los Ingobernables hat for now.

I would buy a Los Ingobernables shirt but $40 bucks for a wrestling shirt that isn't coming from Japan is way too much.

Wait for them to re-stock them here:

http://www.njpweurope.com/

Have they released any candid shots of Naito with the title yet?

Yup. That's where I got mine. It was like $30 bucks for me.

Osplay vs KUSHIDA was *censored*ing bananas. 6 Man was great and way better than I expected. Openweight was way better than expected as well because I don't know Tenzan. Jr Tag was really fun and the main event...

My *censored*ing boy. :D

I just watched Invasion. Every match was decent at the very least.

Favorite match was easily Ospreay vs KUSHIDA. I've become a really big fan of Ospreay lately.

Liked the IWGP Jr Tag Match and Never Openweight tag match.

I gotta go back and watch Shibata/Tenzan because I wasn't really paying attention.

Is Hiroki Goto like the Roman Reigns of NJPW? Every time I see him he's getting booed or his heel opponent is getting cheered more than him.

Okada/Naito was good but all the extra-curricular shit kinda killed it for me. Also noticed the crowd was pro-Naito as well. Is Naito that likable or did Okada lose steam?

Is Hiroki Goto like the Roman Reigns of NJPW? Every time I see him he's getting booed or his heel opponent is getting cheered more than him.

Okada/Naito was good but all the extra-curricular shit kinda killed it for me. Also noticed the crowd was pro-Naito as well. Is Naito that likable or did Okada lose steam?

1. Mostly. In many ways, Goto's like Reigns in reverse. People hate Reigns because he wins all the time. People hate Goto because he's chokes the big match all the time. Really, it's past underdog status the ammount of times he lost the big one.

2. Mostly a Naito town, but yeah, Naito grew a lot, too. He added a "CM Punk, speak up against the bosses in a very shoot-like way" wrinkle to his general disinterested character. Not a case of Okada losing steam at all. Naito just arrived that day.

I'll never forget about a year ago when I was bringing up stale wrestlers who bring nothing to the table besides in ring work and I mentioned Naito. Starstruck told me to check out his newer stuff and he connected with me instantly.

^ More on that:

Due to the series of earthquakes in Kumamoto, New Japan Pro Wrestling has announced the cancellation of its 4/29 Wrestling Hinokuni PPV.

The show, scheduled at Grand Messe Kumamoto, was one of the two big shows on the current tour and featured three title matches. Whether this will result in changes to the 5/3 show in Fukuoka to get at least those matches on the card has not yet been released.

The city was hit by a series of earthquakes over the last few days: a 6.2 on Thursday night, a 6.0 earthquake three hours later just after midnight, a 7.0 earthquake on Saturday at 1:25 a.m, and another aftershock last night. The earthquakes have left at least 41 dead and 968 injured, destroyed 90 homes and have led to the evacuation of more than 91,700 people in the city.

However, the other shows that weekend on the island of Kyushu are still on the schedule.

New Japan is expected to run a major show in the city when things have calmed down, and several Japanese promotions are likely to do benefit shows.

The show's original lineup was:

• Jay White vs. David Finlay
  • Juice Robinson & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Yoshi-Hashi & Kazushi Sakuraba
  • Kushida & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Tiger Mask & Jushin Liger
  • Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma & Yoshitatsu vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Tanga Loa & Tama Tonga
  • Rocky Romero & Trent Baretta vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet for the IWGP jr. tag titles
  • Tomohiro Ishii & Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto & Will Ospreay vs. Tetsuya Naito & Seiya Sanada & Evil & Bushi
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs. Yuji Nagata for the Never Open weight title
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
  • Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin for the IC title

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/njpw-cancels-ppv-due-kumamoto-earthquakes-211231?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

After the cancellation of Wrestling Hinokuni due to the earthquakes in Kumamoto, NJPW have moved the top matches from the show to the Road to Wrestling Dontaku event on April 27th and Wrestling Dontaku on May 3rd.

The full cards for both:

Road to Wrestling Dontaku, Hakata, StarLanes in Fukuoaka, April 27th:

*Captain New Japan & David Finlay vs. Juice Robinson & Jay White
*Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask IV & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. YOSHI-HASHI, Rocky Romero & Barreta
*Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Yoshitatsu vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa

*Katsuyori Shibata & KUSHIDA vs. Yuji Nagata & Jushin Thunder Liger
*Tomohiro Ishii, Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto & Gedo vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL & BUSHI
*Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
*IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin

Wrestling Dontaku, Fukuoak Kokusai Center, May 3rd:

*Captain New Japan & Juice Robinson vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi *Tiger Mask IV, Ryusuke Taguchi, Jay White & David Finlay vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, YOSHI-HASHI, Will Ospreay, Gedo

*IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Rocky Romero & Beretta vs. Ricochet & Matt Sydal

*Michael Elgin, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yoshitatsu vs. Kenny Omega, Matt & Nick Jackson

*IWGP Tag Championship: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma

*NEVER Openweight Championship: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Yuji Nagata

*IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship: KUSHIDA vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

*Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL

*Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA

*IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii

There will be two Road to Wrestling Dontaku shows live on NJPW World from Korakuen Hall this weekend.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=101418

Archived