King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are definitely some angry people backstage at Nakamura's decision. Hey, if they don't like it, I'm sure they got permission to stiff the shit out of him. Japan and Mexico don't play, that's why Del Rio went into ghost mode when going back to the WWE.

I don't think they'll sandbag the guy. Since Tanahashi became main star, they made a conscious effort to move away from the rough days of Inoki-ism, both in the ring and how they handle things outside. I could totally see them sandbagging Nakamura politically, like some said, we have a pretty clear precedent (Shibata). But in the ring I think they'll be more professional than that. Who knows, though.

The Del Rio thing might be pretty real, though. Mexican promotions are still rough backstage, as I'm sure we all know many recent examples of, no need to go in detail about those.

Yea thats not gonna happen since Nakamura has done everything he could have done in NJPW.

New Japan star Rocky Romero -- currently one-half of RPG Vice, along with Beretta -- was rumored to be on WWE's radar recently as a potential trainer and coach for the Performance Center. That buzz may have helped him land a somewhat unusual two-year contract with NJPW, according to Ryan Satin at Pro Wrestling Sheet.

Here's the information that Pro Wrestling Sheet obtained:

Sources close to the situation tell us Rocky had been working on a "handshake deal" with New Japan â but once the wrestling company caught wind of WWE's interest, they began trying to lock him down.

We're told the recent reported talent exodus from New Japan and WWE wanting him as a trainer influenced the company to offer a two-year deal -- instead of their normal one-year contracts -- plus, the wrestler can still work for Ring of Honor and take indie bookings.

Romero is well-known to longtime independent wrestling fans. He first popped up on North American fans' radar as one-half of the Havana Pitbulls (with partner Ricky Reyes, now best known as Lucha Underground's Cortez Castro), who debuted in Ring of Honor in 2004 and became ROH's longest-reigning tag team champions to that point.

He has also worked in Japan and Mexico as Black Tiger IV, taking up the mantle previously worn by Rollerball Rocco, Eddie Guerrero and Silver King. Romero has been working with several Southern California promotions as an occasional trainer in recent years. He's a three-time ROH tag champ, a former IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion and a five-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2016/1/8/10739216/rocky-romero-new-japan-deal-signing

Guest Fight Me.

I don't recall one being uploaded last week either, granted it was Wrestle Kingdom weekend, but yeah. I think they're done with Talk n Shop, sadly.

Finally got around watching WK10 in its entire the past two days. Also caught up with NJPW the last couple of months.

I thoroughly enjoyed WK10 as a whole, but there were some matches that extremely underdelivered for me. I thought Shibata vs Ishii was MOTN for me. Okada vs Tanahashi was okay to me, great in the final minutes, but it was extremely lacking in my opinion. I feel like their previous matches were better. Even Styles vs Nakamura wasn't "great" to me, but I enjoyed it. Just not MOTN for me either.

Also, it really annoyed me that the entrances weren't grand this year. Last year I thought the stage and overall production was better. No real special attires or anything, and more than half the matches had a pre match beat down. Also, Yoshi Tatsu sucked. I'll stick to the Japanese commentary next time.

Finally got around watching WK10 in its entire the past two days. Also caught up with NJPW the last couple of months.

I thoroughly enjoyed WK10 as a whole, but there were some matches that extremely underdelivered for me. I thought Shibata vs Ishii was MOTN for me. Okada vs Tanahashi was okay to me, great in the final minutes, but it was extremely lacking in my opinion. I feel like their previous matches were better. Even Styles vs Nakamura wasn't "great" to me, but I enjoyed it. Just not MOTN for me either.

Also, it really annoyed me that the entrances weren't grand this year. Last year I thought the stage and overall production was better. No real special attires or anything, and more than half the matches had a pre match beat down. Also, Yoshi Tatsu sucked. I'll stick to the Japanese commentary next time.

I agree with you about Okada/Tanahashi & Styles/Nakamura. Maybe Okada/Tana could have been better to me if I was 100% invested in the story & their rivalry, since that stuff was clearly a huge part of that match.

As for Styles/Nakamura? Maybe I built it up too much in my head before the match, and there was no way it could have delivered on my expectations. I dunno. I was still really good though.

Yeah I agree with you on both points. I think they should've had Okada as the challenger and Tana as the champion. I *censored*ing hate Tana, but Okada winning the gold off of him at WK would've been better IMO.

Also, I don't really like Goto. I love Naito though. Ever since I said he was boring and I think Starstruck told me he was better now, I made an effort to catch his stuff. Man that guy is great.

Bad Luck Fale announced on his Facebook that he will be staying with New Japan Pro Wrestling. You can check out his full post below:

There has been a lot of speculation around my future. I have had offers from all corners, and a lot of people telling me what to do. But as always I've always blocked out outside voices and stayed true to myself. I am someone who stays true to myself. I believe in integrity, honesty and loyalty. And it's those principles that have swayed my decision. I will stay with NJPW because they believed in me when I was nobody. That means more than anything materialistic. I look forward to the future and appreciate the opportunity that I have had and that I have been given. Bullet Club for life!!!!

http://ow.ly/39Ve7q

In a new update to an earlier story, New Japan Pro Wrestling star and Bullet Club member Tama Tonga is denying previous reports that he has re-signed with NJPW.

It was previously reported by Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio that Tonga, son of wrestling legend Haku, had re-signed with NJPW, but Tonga posted the following tweet denying the reports:

https://twitter.com/Tama_Tonga/status/687010253091794945

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/661537-update-tama-tonga-denies-reports-that-he-re-signed-with-njpw#IfkU3eqXk0GcaRp3.99

Japanese star Shinsuke Nakamura, who was stripped earlier this week of the IWGP Intercontinental championship by New Japan Pro Wrestling, will be coming to the United States for several weeks in early February to spend time at the WWE Performance Center, PWInsider.com has exclusively confirmed with a source in Japan.

According to the source, Nakamura will be training at the WWE Performance Center in Winter Park, FL and will also undergo medical testing (I would assume in Pittsburgh, where such testing is usually done) that, if he passes it, would clear Nakamura to sign with WWE.

As PWInsider.com noted last week, Nakamura reached out to WWE about their interest in signing him in early 2015. By the time the company responded, he had already signed a one year deal with NJPW. Nakamura will be finishing up with New Japan later this month.

Nakamura, 35, is considered one of the most charismatic talents in New Japan. He is three time IWGP Heavyweight champion and a five time IWGP Intercontinental champion.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/98994/exclusive-update-on-huge-international-name-and-wwe.html?p=1

I think i asked this before but don't recall so I want to ask again. For anyone who has NJPW World, how is it? Is the English site good enough now for someone to go through without knowing Japanese? (I recall the site still had a lot of stuff in Japanese last I checked).

During the latest [instalment] of MSL & Sullivan, Mister Saint Laurent mentioned that Jim Ross will be replacing Mauro Ranallo as the lead announcer for the New Japan Pro Wrestling Show that airs on AXS TV on Friday night.

“Jim Ross is returning to weekly primetime wrestling,” MSL said to co-host Kevin Sullivan. “I can officially confirm, and this is an exclusive for MSL & SULLIVAN, that Jim Ross will be the new announcer on the weekly New Japan show on AXS TV.

“He will call the action with Josh Barnett. They’ll be doing the sessions out in L.A. They’ll do a few shows over the course of a day or two. I know that Jim is excited, and I’m happy that we can tell the fans about this.”

Update: Jim Ross has responded to these reports on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/688000714379923456

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/688005163101982720

http://www.ringsidenews.com/wwe-news/jim-ross-announcing-for-new-japan-pro-wrestling/

I don't understand the shirt. What is it depicting?

I see on the guns it says "WK", but are those masks? A shield?

it's a kinnikuman collab shirt...so they're probs 'masks' or something from the series? idk not familiar with it personally

was going to be a fiscally irresponsible nerd and drop $100 on an ingobernables jacket but i dont like the dum 'bowtie/hat' logo on the front =\ probably a good thing tbh

I think i asked this before but don't recall so I want to ask again. For anyone who has NJPW World, how is it? Is the English site good enough now for someone to go through without knowing Japanese? (I recall the site still had a lot of stuff in Japanese last I checked).

Easy enough that a Google Translate will solve most of your problems, but you still have to use it, which I guess can be a drag to most.

Archived