King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

Guest Fight Me.

Finished WK10 yesterday, but just watched the preshow now. Goddamn Jado, and that performance after. :lol: I don't know what was going on, but I was definitely entertained.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way. It's definitely going to be interesting.

Oh, and Goto will probably also be a important factor in the Heavyweight division from now on.

and Kenny Omega, Michael Elgin and Ishii may also be factors.

I think as it stands now, Okada, Ibushi, Omega and Naito will eventually be the next big four. Ibushi and Omega are proven draws in Japan, especially for DDT, and they're young, and Naito is arguably their hottest act.

Goto, Shibata, Ishii will probably stay important. Elgin I see maybe reaching Karl Anderson's spot. Tanahashi, of course, can be a main eventer until he retires, even if he passed the torch.

Makes me wonder how Gedo and Jado feels about Nakamura leaving. Nakamura is obviously a star in Japan and made NJPW a lot of money, now he wants to *Censored* American women. I'm sure if they were mad they'd get someone to shoot on him mid match, Japan is like that sometimes.

Speaking of shoot, when the *Censored* is Suzuki coming back?

Still booked for NOAH the coming months. :(

I think there are definitely some angry people backstage at Nakamura's decision. Hey, if they don't like it, I'm sure they got permission to stiff the shit out of him. Japan and Mexico don't play, that's why Del Rio went into ghost mode when going back to the WWE.

I think there are definitely some angry people backstage at Nakamura's decision. Hey, if they don't like it, I'm sure they got permission to stiff the shit out of him. Japan and Mexico don't play, that's why Del Rio went into ghost mode when going back to the WWE.

With the Dome's attendance being down 10K, they need him more than ever right now. NJPW, as a whole, has quite a few problems that are going to take time to fix. Shinsuke leaving now is going to rub people the wrong way I'm sure.

Bump

Why do people post "bump" here? I've never seen any forum except this one that does that.
in mobile, when you click on a topic it often takes you to a bunch of pages back, so people just post bump to automatically go to the most recent page

NJPW Presents CMLL Fantasticamania 2016

1/17/2016, Kochi Sunpia CHRES

* Komatsu & Tanaka Send-Off Series: Stuka Jr. & KUSHIDA v. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka

* Guerrero Maya Jr. & The Panther v. Okumura & Boby Z

* Titan & Fuego v. Barbaro Cavernario & YOSHI-HASHI [CHAOS]

* Dragon Lee & Jay White v. Hechicero & Virus

* Atlantis, Mascara Dorada & Juice Robinson v. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & BUSHI [Los Ingobernables]

* Volador Jr. & Ryusuke Taguchi v. Mephisto & Shinsuke Nakamura [CHAOS]

* Mistico, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Thunder Liger v. Ultimo Guerrero, Kazuchika Okada [CHAOS] & Gedo [CHAOS]

1/19/2016, Kyoto KBS Hall

* Komatsu & Tanaka Send-Off Series: Fuego & Ryusuke Taguchi v. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka

* The Panther v. Okumura

* Guerrero Maya Jr. v. Boby Z

* Titan, Dragon Lee, Jushin Thunder Liger & David Finlay Jr. v. Barbara Cavernario, Hechicero, Virus & YOSHI-HASHI [CHAOS]

* Atlantis, Mascara Dorada & Stuka Jr. v. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & BUSHI [Los Ingobernables]

* Mistico & KUSHIDA v. Ultimo Guerrero & Gedo [CHAOS]

* Volador Jr., Hiroshi Tanahashi & Juice Robinson v. Mephisto, Kazuchika Okada [CHAOS] & Shinsuke Nakamura [CHAOS]

1/20/2016, Osaka EDION Arena Osaka 2nd Arena

* Komatsu & Tanaka Send-Off Series: Stuka Jr. & Jushin Thunder Liger v. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka

* The Panther v. Boby Z

* Guerrero Maya Jr. v. Okumura

* Titan, KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Jay White v. Barbara Cavernario, Hechicero, YOSHI-HASHI [CHAOS] & Gedo [CHAOS]

* Atlantis, Mascara Dorada & Fuego v. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & BUSHI [Los Ingobernables]

* Mistico, Volador Jr. & Juice Robinson v. Ultimo Guerrero, Mephisto & Shinsuke Nakamura [CHAOS]

* Dragon Lee & Hiroshi Tanahashi v. Virus & Kazuchika Okada [CHAOS]

1/22/2016, Tokyo Korakuen Hall

* Komatsu & Tanaka Send-Off Series: Stuka Jr. & Fuego v. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka

* Guerrero Maya Jr., The Panther, KUSHIDA, Jushin Thunder Liger & David Finlay Jr. v. Hechicero, Okumura, Boby Z, YOSHI-HASHI [CHAOS] & Gedo [CHAOS]

* Atlantis & Juice Robinson v. Tetsuya Naito & EVIL [Los Ingobernables]

* Mexican National Welterweight Championship: Barbaro Cavernario © v. Titan

* CMLL World Welterweight Championship: BUSHI [Los Ingobernables] © v. Mascara Dorada

* Dragon Lee, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi v. Virus, Kazuchika Okada [CHAOS] & Shinsuke Nakamura [CHAOS]

* Mistico & Volador Jr. v. Ultimo Guerrero & Mephisto

1/23/2016, Tokyo Korakuen Hall

* Komatsu & Tanaka Send-Off Series: Mascara Dorada & Titan v. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka

* Fuego, KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson v. Hechicero, YOSHI-HASHI [CHAOS] & Gedo [CHAOS]

* Arena Coliseo Tag Team Championship: Guerrero Maya Jr. & The Panther © v. Okumura & Boby Z

* Stuka Jr. & Ryusuke Taguchi v. Barbara Cavernario & Shinsuke Nakamura [CHAOS]

* Atlantis, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV v. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & BUSHI [Los Ingobernables]

* CMLL World Lightweight Championship: Dragon Lee © v. Virus

* Mistico, Volador Jr. & Hiroshi Tanahashi v. Ultimo GUerrero, Mephisto & Kazuchika Okada [CHAOS]

1/24/2016, Tokyo Korakuen Hall

* Komatsu & Tanaka Send-Off Series: Guerrero Maya Jr. & The Panther v. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka

* Titan, Stuka Jr., Fuego, KUSHIDA & Tiger Mask IV v. Hechicero, Okumura, Boby Z, YOSHI-HASHI [CHAOS] & Gedo [CHAOS]

* Lucha De Maestros: Jushin Thunder Liger v. Virus

* Mascara Dorada’s NJPW Farewell: Atlantis, Mascara Dorada & Ryusuke Taguchi v. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & BUSHI [Los Ingobernables]

* Dragon Lee, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Juice Robinson v. Barbaro Cavernario, Kazuchika Okada [CHAOS] & Shinsuke Nakamura [CHAOS]

* Mistico v. Ultimo Guerrero

* NWA World Historic Welterweight Championship: Volador Jr. © v. Mephisto

Solid lineups. Should be fun to watch.

The big story of the week so far has been the rumours that AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows have all given notice to New Japan Pro Wrestling in order to presumably sign with WWE.

Apparently New Japan's head booker Gedo was caught completely flatfooted by their decision to leave the company, only being notified by the talent shortly before the promotion's biggest show of the year Wrestle Kingdom 10 on Jan. 4th, forcing him to rethink many of his booking plans for the year ahead.

This talent raid of top New Japan talent is something that Gedo really should have seen coming, although maybe not quite on this scale.

Under Paul "Triple H" Levesque's guidance as Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events & Creative, WWE has shown a growing willingness in recent year's to sign the best talent the world has to offer, whereever they may be found. In particular, current main roster performer Neville and top NXT stars Finn Bálor, Hideo Itami and Apollo Crews all made their names in Japan. With their success, it was inevitable that one day WWE would look to the Land of the Rising Sun again for new prospects and New Japan, having the most marketable wrestlers in all the land, would be the likely victim.

Moreover, Triple H's closest confidants in NXT are retired wrestlers with a deep understanding of the Japanese wrestling scene. His head trainer at the WWE Performance Center Matt Bloom was one of New Japan Pro Wrestling's top foreign stars from January 2006 - January 2012 under the name Giant Bernard, before WWE lured him back for a disappointing run as monster heel Lord Tensai where he failed to get over despite a strong initial push where he pinned both John Cena and CM Punk on Monday Night Raw. Meanwhile, NXT's most influential talent scout William Regal worked several tours of New Japan in the mid-1990s as part of WCW's talent sharing agreement with the promotion.

That's why it was ridiculously naïve of New Japan to allow their legend Jushin "Thunder" Liger to work the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn special last August, which briefly jeopardised their mutually beneficial relationship with Ring Of Honor who were running a major house show head to head in the same market. Apart from keeping one of their performer's happy by allowing him to take a lucrative outside date, New Japan gained nothing in return from their favour to WWE. Any aspirations that they may have had that this courtesy could be spun into a similar talent sharing agreement to the ones they have with CMLL and ROH were foolhardy because Vince McMahon doesn't play well with others when he's top dog, especially a group that had just recently procured a television deal in his home market.

Lulled into a false sense of security, Gedo continued to run with a pat hand on top throughout 2015, failing to fully take advantage of opportunities to elevate fresh talent up the card, instead opting to build around the established headliners of Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, Nakamura and Styles, and keeping Anderson and Gallows as the company's dominant heavyweight tag team. By doing so he left New Japan ripe for the picking, particularly with their antiquated system of signing talent predominantly to twelve month contracts at the start of every year. This setup may have helped them to weather the storm of business slumps due to bad creative decisions and circumstances out of their control in the past, but is clearly outdated in today's environment where WWE views them as intruding on their territory and company loyalty is much harder to engender.

Ironically, although WWE have put New Japan in a very tight corner to start the year, it could prove to be a blessing in disguise, like when eyeglass magnate Hachiro Tanaka tossed ridiculous amounts of money to get the likes of Genichiro Tenryu, Yoshiaki Yatsu and Ashura Hara, amongst others, to quit All Japan Pro Wrestling in April 1990 and form a new wrestling company Super World of Sports (SWS). The ultra conservative All Japan promoter Giant Baba was forced to immediately elevate talented youngsters Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue and Kenta Kobashi up the cards, sparking a business boom that lasted for several years.

Although such a stunning transformation would be tough to replicate, in the likes of Katsuyori Shibata, Kota Ibushi (once he's healthy), Tetsuya Naito, Hirooki Goto and Kenny Omega, New Japan has plenty of supremely talented individuals who could potentially pick up the slack caused by WWE gutting the heart of their roster provided they are booked correctly. They should follow WWE's lead scouring the planet for the best performers around and snap them up before Triple H can get their claws into them, whilst also making better use of the talent available to them through their symbiotic relationship with CMLL and ROH.

It was clear from stalling business in recent months that New Japan needed to be kicked out of their comfort zone and shaken up to rejuvenate interest in their product, which while still excellent from an in-ring perspective, had grown stale. WWE has provided the catalyst for such needed change. Whether New Japan sinks or swims is up to them.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2016/1/6/10720410/new-japan-should-have-seen-wwes-talent-raid-coming?utm_campaign=cagesideseats&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I don't think they'll sandbag the guy. Since Tanahashi became main star, they made a conscious effort to move away from the rough days of Inoki-ism, both in the ring and how they handle things outside. I could totally see them sandbagging Nakamura politically, like some said, we have a pretty clear precedent (Shibata). But in the ring I think they'll be more professional than that. Who knows, though.

The Del Rio thing might be pretty real, though. Mexican promotions are still rough backstage, as I'm sure we all know many recent examples of, no need to go in detail about those.

Archived