King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I'm gonna have to watch that match again when it's not past 3:00 in the morning my time.

Same, it was a great match though. Might appreciate it more with my full attention.

I agree with you both. Fell asleep during the main event. Not happy with myself that that happened.

Nakamura can go ahead and *Censored* off to NXT. Of the three or four main characters in NJPW, he's probably my least favorite. If he leaves it could be a good opportunity for guys like Shibata and Ishii to rise up.

I'd be really disappointed if AJ went to WWE though. I have no interest in that whatsoever. Even more disappointing is that I know fans will continue to watch and complain about WWE yet celebrate every time they poach a great wrestler. It seems like Triple H has successfully convinced a lot of people that WWE hurting smaller companies and remaining a monopoly is a good thing.

Funny you say that, one of the dates Triple H announced for NXT today is in the same town as a ROH show the day after. There was that one time where Triple H booked a NXT the same day as an ROH show. There were those reports of Triple H booking out one of the arenas ROH use, he was actually confronted about that in a conference call but I forgot what his response was.

There is also that report about Triple H signing big names to help with the NXT tour.

Funny you say that, one of the dates Triple H announced for NXT today is in the same town as a ROH show the day after. There was that one time where Triple H booked a NXT the same day as an ROH show. There were those reports of Triple H booking out one of the arenas ROH use, he was actually confronted about that in a conference call but I forgot what his response was.

There is also that report about Triple H signing big names to help with the NXT tour.

I was just talking about this in the PWG thread. WWE doesn't discriminate when it comes to what companies they go after. I really believe that their goal is to put every other wrestling company out of business. But they're especially petty when it comes to ROH. They used to get along pretty well with them, but once ROH started introducing more exclusive contracts for wrestlers, WWE got very aggressive. How dare they not allow us to come in and steal their talent on any given day!? Then ROH committed the cardinal sin against WWE; they planned to make merchandize featuring the likeness of a WWE Superstar™! After the Kevin Steen action figure thing, shit hit the fan. It seems like they're willing to use every dirty trick in the book now. The saddest thing is, not only did ROH do nothing wrong, they always had a positive attitude about their stars graduating to WWE and making more money. They wanted to see their wrestlers succeed. WWE on the other hand, clearly doesn't care about anyone who works for ROH. They'd be happy to put them out of business tomorrow and ruin many people's lives.

Definitely agree with everything said. What ever happened with the NXT/Evolve thing? It's like Triple H used some of their talents and he gave them an inured Zayn for an autograph session and a promo at the end of the show.

This is going off topic. I found it stupid that Jado won the Battle Royal to promote that chicks' album.

Definitely agree with everything said. What ever happened with the NXT/Evolve thing? It's like Triple H used some of their talents and he gave them an inured Zayn for an autograph session and a promo at the end of the show.

This is going off topic. I found it stupid that Jado won the Battle Royal to promote that chicks' album.

As far as I can tell that's pretty much all there is to it. Basically Gabe Sapolsky agreed to let Triple H use Evolve as a farm system. Now they can attract a lot of indie wrestlers hoping to get signed to NXT, plus Gabe gets his revenge on ROH. The Sami Zayn appearance seemed like it was just an advertisement for WWE, aimed at indie wrestlers. It'll be interesting to see if any more WWE wrestlers appear at Evolve shows.

Yeah, that was weird. I got the sense that she isn't even that big of a celebrity. Anybody know what her deal is?

WWE also sends guys they don't feel are ready or have much to do with yet to EVOLVE to get experience. A former MMA competitor turned wrestler is a WWE contracted wrestler who is competing there, Matt Riddle. So no, the scope of the deal isn't just "WWE uses EVOLVE talent to job in NXT".

And I do admit that in most cases, I'm happy when WWE gets a talent from another company, for a very simple reason: to me, they're second best. With all of it's many, many problems, WWE still has one of the styles of wrestling that appeases me the most. So yeah, I like when they poach talent. Especially if it's talent I feel is misused or is in a horrible company.

NJPW is that one exception. They're the best. Unfortunately, they're not also the biggest, so they can lose their talent more frequently. I confess, I would be absolutely devastated if Nakamura and Styles left. And also, Nakamura would be a major, MAJOR hit. While not being used as proeminently as Tanahashi and Okada, he is just as popular, draws sell-outs with smaller opponents and provides NJPW with a breathing room so that they don't need to overexpose Tana and Okada even more. There are guys that can step up into Styles' shoes. Nakamura's loss would be way tougher to overcome though.

WWE also sends guys they don't feel are ready or have much to do with yet to EVOLVE to get experience. A former MMA competitor turned wrestler is a WWE contracted wrestler who is competing there, Matt Riddle. So no, the scope of the deal isn't just "WWE uses EVOLVE talent to job in NXT".

And I do admit that in most cases, I'm happy when WWE gets a talent from another company, for a very simple reason: to me, they're second best. With all of it's many, many problems, WWE still has one of the styles of wrestling that appeases me the most. So yeah, I like when they poach talent. Especially if it's talent I feel is misused or is in a horrible company.

NJPW is that one exception. They're the best. Unfortunately, they're not also the biggest, so they can lose their talent more frequently. I confess, I would be absolutely devastated if Nakamura and Styles left. And also, Nakamura would be a major, MAJOR hit. While not being used as proeminently as Tanahashi and Okada, he is just as popular, draws sell-outs with smaller opponents and provides NJPW with a breathing room so that they don't need to overexpose Tana and Okada even more. There are guys that can step up into Styles' shoes. Nakamura's loss would be way tougher to overcome though.

Is there anyone from Evolve that isn't a jobber/dark match guy in NXT yet? I don't watch the show as much as I did a year ago. I've seen Matt Riddle. I forgot he was a WWE guy. He actually seems pretty cool.

In my opinion, they're not second best, or even the third. I think Lucha Underground is by far the best wrestling TV show in the world. I expect to see WWE draw a lot of influence from them in the coming years, just like how Vince borrowed a lot from ECW in the 90's. As far as putting together great cards from top to bottom, I agree that nobody has NJPW beat. PWG comes pretty close though. I like NXT, but I think ROH still does the old school style of wrestling show better. They were going through a rough patch there for a couple of years, but it's gotten pretty damn good recently, especially with Lethal as champ. Balor as the star of NXT has been somewhat underwhelming.

As far as filling Nakamura's shoes go, I think Kota Ibushi was that guy but... Yeah. Hopefully he comes back soon. Like I said, I actually wasn't the biggest Nakamura fan in the world and there wasn't many fresh matches left for him so I'm not too sad to see him leave. AJ on the other hand, I'm really disappointed to hear about. I just can't imagine him entertaining me anywhere near as much in WWE. Despite how I feel, I agree Nakamura is the bigger loss for NJPW. Part of the reason I may seem particularly cynical tonight is because I kind of feel like WWE isn't even actually interested in Nakamura so much as they're just excited to create some extra hype. I mean, come on. Do they really even need the guy? What kind of plans could they possibly have for him? He's a 35 year old Japanese guy that barely speaks english (I've heard people say otherwise, but I've yet to see any proof of him bing this fluent speaker) and the average kid watching WWE has no clue who he is.

Archived