King of Sports: New Japan Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What time does this start if I wanted to watch it live? I'm gonna buy a month of NJPW World.

3 AM EST, 8 AM GMT.

I just found out that the english broadcast is Matt Striker and Kevin Kelly. I wish it was Striker with Jim Ross again or Josh Barnett instead of Kelly. I can't decide if I want to watch the english or japanese broadcast.

I wonder if Matt Striker will dial back the kayfabe breaking comments. I'd rather hear him take the same approach he takes to calling LU. Then again, it's funny seeing people get so worked up over comments like "there's no slapping of the leg here!". I like watching the smart marks and old school guys like Jim Cornette rage over it. You could probably power a small city with the energy created from Dusty Rhodes spinning in his grave.

Thanks for the info. That's 12am PST, which is my time. Not sure if I'll be able to watch the whole thing until about 4am, Not without a nap prior to the event at least.

Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker did the English commentary for King of Pro Wrestling and it was decent. Barnett and Ross are stronger choices than Kelly, but I don't mind him all that much. Plus he's more familiar with the ROH guys where as Striker is probably more familiar with the NJPW talent.

Sure is a lot of Gaijins for a NJPW show.

And its been like since Puro has been around.

I just said that because I have a friend who's a hardcore puro fan. He doesn't like the current direction of NJPW due to The Bullet Club and Gedo.

Yea but its working for New Japan since they are the #1 promotion in Japan.

Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker did the English commentary for King of Pro Wrestling and it was decent. Barnett and Ross are stronger choices than Kelly, but I don't mind him all that much. Plus he's more familiar with the ROH guys where as Striker is probably more familiar with the NJPW talent.

I didn't hear them call KOPW, so for me it's going to be a fresh pairing of voices. I'm glad to hear he did good and you're right that if nothing else, he's more knowledgeable about the ROH talent. It's a shame we never got to hear Mauro Ranallo call a WrestleKingdom, but I'm excited to see what he does for Smackdown. I think people who have never heard him before are going to be blown away. There's quite a few great commentators out there these days.

Yeah, my dream of Ranallo and Barnett calling WK was dashed. Ranallo I get why he isn't doing it, but the decision to NOT have Barnett is appalling, unless they in fact negotiated but couldn't strike a deal. The guy is one of the voices of your show in the USA, a former Tokyo Dome main eventer AND has name value, and you don't put him in? I doubt his pay fee to do it would be too high, since AXS TV could hire him. All in all, this is another of those cases, albeit a smaller one, in which NJPW's lack of awareness towards how to do their international expansion hurts them. Oh well. Striker's hit or miss with me. Kevin Kelly's just okay. I think I'll stick with the Japanese commentary this time. Anyway, enough ranting about my favourite company, makes me sound grumpier than usual.

Excited for Shibata vs. Ishii (Shibata's time! Shibata's time?), Nakamura vs. AJ: DREAM MATCH!!!!!, Okada vs. Tanahashi VIII: Okada's Redemption, Naito pissing Goto off, Honma (maybe) getting those tag titles, Briscoes finally going to Tokyo Dome and #BigMike doing #BigMike things. Not excited for Briscoes pairing with Yano, seeing Lethal's atrocious, basic logic defying finisher in an NJPW ring, The Four-Team Jr. Tag Team Spotfest of Sameness. Curious about how those six-man tag titles will be handled, if Kushida and Kenny Omega can make me care about the depleted Jr. Division again, and if the Rumble will have any surprise entrants.

EDIT: I heart Shibata.

Yeah, my dream of Ranallo and Barnett calling WK was dashed. Ranallo I get why he isn't doing it, but the decision to NOT have Barnett is appalling, unless they in fact negotiated but couldn't strike a deal. The guy is one of the voices of your show in the USA, a former Tokyo Dome main eventer AND has name value, and you don't put him in? I doubt his pay fee to do it would be too high, since AXS TV could hire him. All in all, this is another of those cases, albeit a smaller one, in which NJPW's lack of awareness towards how to do their international expansion hurts them. Oh well. Striker's hit or miss with me. Kevin Kelly's just okay. I think I'll stick with the Japanese commentary this time. Anyway, enough ranting about my favourite company, makes me sound grumpier than usual.

Excited for Shibata vs. Ishii (Shibata's time! Shibata's time?), Nakamura vs. AJ: DREAM MATCH!!!!!, Okada vs. Tanahashi VIII: Okada's Redemption, Naito pissing Goto off, Honma (maybe) getting those tag titles, Briscoes finally going to Tokyo Dome and #BigMike doing #BigMike things. Not excited for Briscoes pairing with Yano, seeing Lethal's atrocious, basic logic defying finisher in an NJPW ring, The Four-Team Jr. Tag Team Spotfest of Sameness. Curious about how those six-man tag titles will be handled, if Kushida and Kenny Omega can make me care about the depleted Jr. Division again, and if the Rumble will have any surprise entrants.

EDIT: I heart Shibata.

Shibata is so *censored*ing cool. It has to be his time. He's finally going to win a singles championship.

I watched it live last year, fell asleep on the Tanahashi/Okada match...because *Censored* that match.

The best part was Okada bawling his eyes out. Big Match Tan' will do it again.

"I have to be more of a star. I have to make wrestling fans of more people. How? Beat Okada. Make him cry again." - Hiroshi Tanahashi

Archived