Unpopular Indy/Puro/Lucha/Misc Opinions

AssaultDriver720

Maybe it's his cringe worthy Bullet Club mannerisms. I did think 2014 was AJ Styles' year though, easily.

Thats a big reason I dislike him right now. I like AJ Styles, always have since his first match with NWATNA. Thought the guy was an innovator in high flying offense while still remaining the top star draw that he is. Then he joined Bullet Club and.....just went downhill. He's not the personality for the job and we all know it. He's not Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, KA, or Gallows. Styles just isn't that cocky annoying parody of himself that all the other guys seem to pull off. They really should have just kept Styles out of it and then Omega would have been their mega star coming in.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Styles is totally wrong for the Bullet Club. Like after his win this past event everything he did was cringeworthy. We all know your a good christian boy.

So are the Young Bucks, they fit in the BC well.

Thing is, even when the Bucks are posting about their kids and stuff they play off of the "Merch Table God" thing so well and easily come off as douchey parodies. The stories from their past with WWE guys (Booker T I'm looking at you) and all the stuff they intentionally do to piss people off (Meltzer Driver, tweet Cornette)....It just all works even when I watch their shoot interviews and see how down to earth and self aware they are. AJ Styles isn't even in the slightest believable.

I don't like AJ Styles in Bullet Club, either. Everything seems forced and when he says shit like "suck it" or "too sweet", etc...it just seems like he's trying to fit in and be like the cool kids.

I think Bullet Club in general sucks. Never liked them too much to begin with, even when Prince Devitt was with them.

I don't like AJ Styles in Bullet Club, either. Everything seems forced and when he says shit like "suck it" or "too sweet", etc...it just seems like he's trying to fit in and be like the cool kids.

I think Bullet Club in general sucks. Never liked them too much to begin with, even when Prince Devitt was with them.

Isn't that the whole point of the Bullet Club though? They think they're cool/bad ass/edgy even though they're not. And I think AJ Styles being a goody-two-shoes born again christian makes him an even better fit for the Bullet Club. It reminds me of Shawn Michaels trying to act like he was so wild and obscene when they brought DX back in 2006 even though he refused to swear or look at a lady lustfully. It's similar to the Young Bucks' characters. The Bullet Club want to act like the tough guy wrestlers of the 80's that partied hard after every show, snorting coke off of hookers and shit, but Matt and Nick Jackson probably just go back to their hotel rooms and Skype with their wives before going to bed early. It's a really clever concept for a heel stable, in my opinion. It pokes fun at how much the wrestling industry has changed over the years. The Bullet Club are just wannabes. The are no more tough guys left in wrestling.

I think Bullet Club is better than ever. When it first started, I don't think they had fully fleshed out what exactly they wanted it to be. Back then, they were wannabes, but they weren't self aware yet. Somewhere along the way, they realized that they were just a generic mishmash of edgy heel stables from the 90's. Adding Jeff Jarrett was genius because it makes sense for those characters to idolize someone like him, and what better way to piss diehard wrestling fans off than by bringing a washed up WCW guy to NJPW? Cody Hall is an awesome addition, because fans will hate that he's an inexperienced wrestler getting a big opportunity just because of his last name. And again, it would make sense for those characters to want to surround themselves with people like Cody, because they look up to his dad. The way I see it, the more people they add, the better. Seeing it end up like the nWo would be really funny. They should have all of the nWo's worst traits.

Isn't that the whole point of the Bullet Club though? They think they're cool/bad ass/edgy even though they're not. And I think AJ Styles being a goody-two-shoes born again christian makes him an even better fit for the Bullet Club. It reminds me of Shawn Michaels trying to act like he was so wild and obscene when they brought DX back in 2006 even though he refused to swear or look at a lady lustfully. It's similar to the Young Bucks' characters. The Bullet Club want to act like the tough guy wrestlers of the 80's that partied hard after every show, snorting coke off of hookers and shit, but Matt and Nick Jackson probably just go back to their hotel rooms and Skype with their wives before going to bed early. It's a really clever concept for a heel stable, in my opinion. It pokes fun at how much the wrestling industry has changed over the years. The Bullet Club are just wannabes. The are no more tough guys left in wrestling.

I think Bullet Club is better than ever. When it first started, I don't think they had fully fleshed out what exactly they wanted it to be. Back then, they were wannabes, but they weren't self aware yet. Somewhere along the way, they realized that they were just a generic mishmash of edgy heel stables from the 90's. Adding Jeff Jarrett was genius because it makes sense for those characters to idolize someone like him, and what better way to piss diehard wrestling fans off than by bringing a washed up WCW guy to NJPW? Cody Hall is an awesome addition, because fans will hate that he's an inexperienced wrestler getting a big opportunity just because of his last name. And again, it would make sense for those characters to want to surround themselves with people like Cody, because they look up to his dad. The way I see it, the more people they add, the better. Seeing it end up like the nWo would be really funny. They should have all of the nWo's worst traits.

The issue is that the Bucks can come across legit in the ring with that attitude even though we know thats exactly what they do, where as AJ legitimately looks out of place to the point where I'm sure even new wrestling fans who know nothing about him would probably figure "This doesn't seem right at all". Its a genius stable, I agree. Being parodies of the wrestling industry is amazing and doing everything the same way NWO did it on purpose is the best, Styles just doesn't fit. It would be like watching Cena join DX and doing crotch chops and stuff with a big dumb smile on his face.

Before you posted this the last time, I didn't even know why I suddenly cared about the Bullet Club, but this is spot-on

I didn't like AJ Styles at first in it, but he totally fits in now imo

I didn't like JR's Wrestle Kingdom commentary one bit and switched to the japanese version

From what ive seen on social media they all pretty much hang out together minus Kenny Omega and AJ Styles.

I pretty much blame Jim Cornette for ROH not taking advance of the free plug they got during CM Punk's Pipe bomb promo on RAW in 2011.

I blame Jim Cornette for most of the problems they were having while he was there, and even some of the problems they're still having to this day.

What do you think they should have done that they didn't do though? I'd say they should have pushed Colt Cabana, but I'm pretty sure he was already long gone from ROH and wanted nothing to do with them.

Honma should have Won the "underrated wrestler or the year"

The truly underrated wrestlers will never win awards for anything.

I get a lot of resistance on this opinion, but Adam Cole should have been the obvious star brought in for Bullet Club instead of AJ Styles. He is literally the embodiment of the heel BC wants in the group, he's still crazy young for the star power he has, and I couldn't imagine anyone getting more legit heat than Cole telling someone like Okada to Suck His Dick. Would have just been huge on his resume to have the IWGP title on his waist.

I get a lot of resistance on this opinion, but Adam Cole should have been the obvious star brought in for Bullet Club instead of AJ Styles. He is literally the embodiment of the heel BC wants in the group, he's still crazy young for the star power he has, and I couldn't imagine anyone getting more legit heat than Cole telling someone like Okada to Suck His Dick. Would have just been huge on his resume to have the IWGP title on his waist.

I never really thought about that, but you're right. Adam Cole is perfect for the Bullet Club. I wonder why they haven't done that yet. Mount Rushmore of Wrestling was a similar idea to BC in a lot of ways.

I never really thought about that, but you're right. Adam Cole is perfect for the Bullet Club. I wonder why they haven't done that yet. Mount Rushmore of Wrestling was a similar idea to BC in a lot of ways.

Probably because Cole was ROH and PWG champ at that time.

On AJ Styles - I could never take Styles seriously as a heel, even before Bullet Club. I think it's a combination of the way we've seen him for years in TNA (In terms of being the heart and soul of the company, and the Christian family man), and his accent. Changing his look has given him a more heel look, but IMO once he starts talking it all falls apart for me.

Cabana was once one of the best but after he got released from the WWE he seemed bitter and kinda seems like he phones it in alot. When was the last time you heard of someone talking about Cabana other then his podcast?

I agree to an extent but at the same time, Colt doesn't seem to show up in any of the big indy promotions anymore. It's been years since he was at ROH or PWG, He's only done a couple of spots for CZW, Beyond and Gabe(I think?), and I don't hear much about him in the Chikara universe. Seems like the only people who see him anymore are hardcore indy fans who follow everything.Unfortunately I think that no matter what Colt does, he'll always just be looked at as CM Punk's friend.

Cabana was once one of the best but after he got released from the WWE he seemed bitter and kinda seems like he phones it in alot. When was the last time you heard of someone talking about Cabana other then his podcast?

I agree to an extent but at the same time, Colt doesn't seem to show up in any of the big indy promotions anymore. It's been years since he was at ROH or PWG, He's only done a couple of spots for CZW, Beyond and Gabe(I think?), and I don't hear much about him in the Chikara universe. Seems like the only people who see him anymore are hardcore indy fans who follow everything.Unfortunately I think that no matter what Colt does, he'll always just be looked at as CM Punk's friend.

I think a lot of people do view him that way, and unfortunately any time an ex-WWE wrestler has anything negative to say about that company, a lot of fans will write them off as being "bitter". Colt says he's happy doing what he's doing, and personally I'm inclined to believe him. As for his connections to Punk, I can't help but think of them being friends when I watch Colt wrestle too. But it's not because I think of him as being the "Jannetty" of the two or anything like that. I just have fond memories of them tag-teaming together, and I think that it's funny that Punk is the one who got the big break even though Colt was always a better technical wrestler. WWE themselves even shed some light on this in the CM Punk documentary, so I know I'm not alone in thinking this way. Colt was always more athletically gifted, but Punk's whole attitude and demeanor was just so entertaining that it made up for him being a little sloppier. Overall, they're both equally good in my opinion.

Archived