Unpopular Indy/Puro/Lucha/Misc Opinions

AssaultDriver720

Not sure if this is popular or not.

I love Bullet Club, and I think Jay White is great, but I wish he hadn't joined them. I think the loner serial killer-esque gimmick he had when he first returned from excursion was way better than morphing into just another leader of the BC and dropping most of that attitude he started with.

Also think he should remain clean shaven. Yeah he's got a bit of a babyface (no pun intended) but it made his character more disturbing that way.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah he's got some nice moves but something about him just doesn't pop out to me. I often forget about his existence. Hopefully in the future he can rectify that in some way and come up with a gimmick or something that gets him more attention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Have you watched them at their prime?

I'm not talking about their prime. I'm talking about 2019. If I was talking about their prime, I'd have said "I never liked RNR Express"...

Ok, so that's different. I mean, no offense to them now, I don't think it's that unpopular to say. lol Ricky still can cut a mean promo, though. I'll come to his defense for that.

• 1 month later...

I hate how NJPW has the best sports presentation but so many of their matches start with a pre-match beat down and the ref just rings the bell to start. They also dont enforce rules well like disqualifications. Over the year 5 or so years Ive watched NJPW casually, Ive never seen a DQ, even after weapons and shit were involved. Not saying they dont DQ, Ive just never seen it.

Say what you want about WWE rules, but for the most part they usually dont ring the bell until the 2 wrestlers are both in the ring in opposite corners.

I hate how NJPW has the best sports presentation but so many of their matches start with a pre-match beat down and the ref just rings the bell to start. They also dont enforce rules well like disqualifications. Over the year 5 or so years Ive watched NJPW casually, Ive never seen a DQ, even after weapons and shit were involved. Not saying they dont DQ, Ive just never seen it.

Say what you want about WWE rules, but for the most part they usually dont ring the bell until the 2 wrestlers are both in the ring in opposite corners.

That's because in New Japan Count-outs and DQs are a if-nothing-else-works kind of thing.

Since it is less of a soap opera and more of a sports-drama, they want most matches to have a outcome. DQs and Count-Outs rob the crowds off that and they really don't do much for the wrestlers either. Unlike in the WWE referees in Japan, even in kayfabe, are there to keep the contest as 'clean' as it can be. Meaning...they constantly check on wrestlers to see if they're still able to compete and most importantly...willing to do so. Fighting spirit is huge in New Japan, so most babyfaces wouldn't be happy with a DQ victory. Not even in tournaments. Because it makes them look weaker and lowers the opinions of crowd, company and their opponents off them.

As far as the referees are concerned, their main job is to keep the wrestlers and the match in the ring itself. Which they can enforce by starting the match early and threatening the wreslters with a count-out, if they don't return to the ring by the count of 20. It's also the reason why they start rather late with the count-out. Simply to give the wrestlers the opportunity to return to the ring on their own.

That mentality has been abused by Suzuki-Gun over the years and they're often on the brink of losing their matches because of it. Bullet Club a few years ago actually caused DQs and count-outs in their matches quite frequently. Tama Tonga and Bad Luck Fale basically "trolled" the crowd by not giving a damn about winning the match. As a result the company added the stipulation that they would be fired, if they tried to interfere again. (I think that it was stated as a rule during or after a G1, but I'm not sure about that). Basically setting a precedent of what happens when the rules are abused too much.

It's a different approach compared to the WWE

I've always loved the NJPW approach to both count outs and disqualifications.

I feel like there have been DQs...but they probably happened more due to a lack of respect or regard for the authority of the ref, and not for any singular activity. Which is how it should be. The ref is there to judge whether the fight is progressing in a safe way or not. As such, weapons should not be an immediate DQ...but, should be considered within the full scale of the match itself. I feel like anything that was ever done with blatant and intentional disregard for the authority of the ref has resulted in a DQ in the past. Like, if the ref tells someone not to do something, and they keep doing it anyway...I'm pretty sure I've seen matches stopped for that.

Bloodsport should become its own promotion. I honestly think MMA style Pro Wrestling has a massive future, there's been no type of promotion to have a style like this since the UWFi, Bloodsport have so many guys they could potentially sign too its ridiculous. The Two Bloodsport events hosted by Matt Riddle and Josh Barnett were great successes and quite refreshing so I'd love for a promotion like this, in retrospect the only bad thing those events have done is the shitty Kaze Ni Nare pops, they had Suzuki come out to a shitty Techno version of it and to top it off I think I heard the deadest Kaze Ni Nare I've ever heard honestly like 5 people shouted it. Otherwise everything was great.

Not at Bloodsport 2, it was the OG song and loud as *Censored*.

Right now, the indies are really low on standout talent. Theres maybe 15ish guys who stand out from the crowd but most of them are established dudes who have been around for awhile.

No yeah Bloodsport 2 *censored*in nailed Suzuki's entrance I was talking about the original, you're right about that though the Indies have been purged by AEW and MLW of late leaving not a lot of guys willing to do shows like that but I still believe Bloodsport could put together a banging roster for example I'd imagine at least half of these guys to be on the card if they were putting on their first official show tomorrow.

Josh Barnett, Minoru Suzuki(depending on New Japan's willingness), Stephan Bonnar, Ken Shamrock, Frank Mir, Simon Gotch, Killer Kross, Timothy Thatcher, Chris Dickinson, Teddy Hart, Masashi Takeda, Daisuke Sekimoto, Yuji Okabayashi, Tristan Archer, Masakatsu Funaki, Kazushi Sakuraba, Shinya Aoki, Jay Freddie, Tyrone Evans (Michael Tarver from NXT) yes he still works shows

I'm still craving that Mox/Barnett matchup, that hype promo was way too good to go to waste.

I saw Bonnar is wrestling Gage mania weekend so he will be in town, i want to see Baroni back mega heeling it up because my god he was the best. I would honestly kill a man for Sekimoto v Kross in any form nevermind Bloodsport. You can always get Harry Smith back, and i have no idea how they didn't get Sakuraba for Bloodsport.

I'm still craving that Mox/Barnett matchup, that hype promo was way too good to go to waste.

I saw Bonnar is wrestling Gage mania weekend so he will be in town, i want to see Baroni back mega heeling it up because my god he was the best. I would honestly kill a man for Sekimoto v Kross in any form nevermind Bloodsport. You can always get Harry Smith back, and i have no idea how they didn't get Sakuraba for Bloodsport.

Saku works quite rarely tbf to him and I think his main focus is on Laughter7 really. Baroni is a shout right there, completely forgot to mention him. Davey Boy Jr. I feel would come back but I'm not sure exactly if his MLW deal is Exclusive to him working only for them in America or not.

Bloodsport should become its own promotion. I honestly think MMA style Pro Wrestling has a massive future, there's been no type of promotion to have a style like this since the UWFi, Bloodsport have so many guys they could potentially sign too its ridiculous. The Two Bloodsport events hosted by Matt Riddle and Josh Barnett were great successes and quite refreshing so I'd love for a promotion like this, in retrospect the only bad thing those events have done is the shitty Kaze Ni Nare pops, they had Suzuki come out to a shitty Techno version of it and to top it off I think I heard the deadest Kaze Ni Nare I've ever heard honestly like 5 people shouted it. Otherwise everything was great.

I ordered both of the Bloodsport events, and enjoyed them both. That said, I can't agree with it becoming its own promotion. I think this is one of those times where less is more. It's important to scout out talents and keep some high profile match-ups for a single event. That is what made the first two shows special. If it was a promotion with regularly scheduled shows, you would lose a lot of what made those first two events intriguing.

I ordered both of the Bloodsport events, and enjoyed them both. That said, I can't agree with it becoming its own promotion. I think this is one of those times where less is more. It's important to scout out talents and keep some high profile match-ups for a single event. That is what made the first two shows special. If it was a promotion with regularly scheduled shows, you would lose a lot of what made those first two events intriguing.

Though you are right about the feel to the high profile match ups, I personally feel if Bloodsport should run events every 2 months (6 high profile shows a year) and use TV exclusively for buildup with one kickass match per tv taping, with each show only lasting about half an hour each episode it would work. This keeps the very high profile matches for the events with minimal non in ring action at those shows, making the message clear TV = Entertainment PPV/Event = Pure Wrestling, I think it would keep things fresh and exciting. For example just imagine Suzuki taking on Shamrock in a no holds barred match, entirety of the buildup based off their encounters in Pancrase and history with the specific difference maker being that its a no holds barred pro wrestling match. That would sell tickets right there and there off they can bridge off that storyline and many more.

• 1 month later...

Archived