Unpopular Indy/Puro/Lucha/Misc Opinions

AssaultDriver720

I agree with the earlier comments about ROH, I understand the direction they're going in & why it's not the same, but the quality of non PPV or televised shows are not we're what they used to be; I own every ROH DVD from when it started in '02 until mid 2013 (including weirdly compilations even though I already had the matches), until I gave up and havent bought once since; the only ones I've thought about buying since are the joint NJPW shows from last year.

My unpopular opinion, I didn't mind Adam Pearces booking, it wasn't the dizzy heights of Gabe Sapolsky in 06/07, but it was decent, I'd rather see some of the HD Net jobbers over some of the current day roster and booking - I enjoyed some DCFC matches as opposed to watching say "War Machine" of Hanson & Rowe

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the earlier comments about ROH, I understand the direction they're going in & why it's not the same, but the quality of non PPV or televised shows are not we're what they used to be; I own every ROH DVD from when it started in '02 until mid 2013 (including weirdly compilations even though I already had the matches), until I gave up and havent bought once since; the only ones I've thought about buying since are the joint NJPW shows from last year.

My unpopular opinion, I didn't mind Adam Pearces booking, it wasn't the dizzy heights of Gabe Sapolsky in 06/07, but it was decent, I'd rather see some of the HD Net jobbers over some of the current day roster and booking - I enjoyed some DCFC matches as opposed to watching say "War Machine" of Hanson & Rowe

From what I can see, the fans seem to like Hanson, but I'm not really sure why. Is he not just doing the same stuff that they hate on Elgin for, or am I missing something?

I hate Fenix with all my heart. Like, I can't watch 2 minutes of his matches before I turn off and stay pissed for like a solid 5 minutes. He's everything I hate about Lucha Libre, and I hate him even more knowing he's the only thing I hate in a show that otherwise I really love.

On Elgin/Hanson - I think I've said it before but Elgin is a scramble wrestler IMO. He's the powerhouse you'd put in with a bunch of high flyers that he could throw around and do his cool shit to. Once he gained some steam and got booked in more notable places, people quickly realized that you see just about everything he has to offer after just a few of his matches. It would probably be the same case with Hanson if he was in the same position.

Lucha Underground is just OK to me and kind of overrated, I haven't watched since that Ladder Match though.

I agree with this. I haven't watched since the third episode I think. The one that had Ivelisse vs. Sexy Star. It's not that I haven't wanted to watch it, just haven't been in the mood. It's hard to invest myself in it fully knowing that it can end at any time if the producers decide it isn't going how they want it to go, like WSX.

--

I personally feel the Super J Cup 1994 is over-rated. Star power it was stacked, but it didn't really pick up until the semi-finals and overall I find the '95 Super J Cup to be superior.

I agree with this. I haven't watched since the third episode I think. The one that had Ivelisse vs. Sexy Star. It's not that I haven't wanted to watch it, just haven't been in the mood. It's hard to invest myself in it fully knowing that it can end at any time if the producers decide it isn't going how they want it to go, like WSX.

Seems unlikely to me, since the show is produced by Robert Rodriguez and El Rey is his network. I don't think the show will be randomly cancelled. It would probably need to be bought out by someone.

Plus WSX filmed 10 episodes and that was it.

There were more plans. I guess the fireball incident didn't do them any favors. IIRC they were even planning season 2 and a PPV.

My thought on LU is based around the fact that wrestling goes up and down in boom periods. LU is on the upswing right now but that will eventually dull. Hopefully the people running things realize that and don't pull the plug once it happens.

I hate Fenix with all my heart. Like, I can't watch 2 minutes of his matches before I turn off and stay pissed for like a solid 5 minutes. He's everything I hate about Lucha Libre, and I hate him even more knowing he's the only thing I hate in a show that otherwise I really love.

Care to explain why you hate him?

Seems unlikely to me, since the show is produced by Robert Rodriguez and El Rey is his network. I don't think the show will be randomly cancelled. It would probably need to be bought out by someone.

Yeah I doubt its going to get cancelled or even fall victim to the boom period going away. Its such a good product and different to any other wrestling. Seems to have a HUGE following, and the El Rey network is pretty much billed around Lucha and old kung fu movies. I see it maybe losing some followers, but I doubt it gets cancelled

I don't quite grasp the "everything you hate about Lucha Libre" part since I don't know what you hate about it, but I get it 100%. I feel this exact way about Jack Evans and to an extent Aerostar. Jack Evans just makes me hate him. I don't care how many times he does anything cool, I've never liked him in anything he's done and I like him even less in my Lucha Libre. Which is super odd because I think his tag partner is an amazing performer.

Aerostar is just annoying because he gets almost literally killed for like 10 mins, jumps off something extremely high and wins. Him beating Super Fly in the mascara vs mascara match was literally my least favorite thing in a long time

Essentially, the insane lack of logic in his matches and doing stuff only because it looks pretty or brutal. The extreme pace and increasingly insane moves that look like should kill someone but are just a tiny part of the match are just an added bonus. I say he's everything I hate about Lucha because, while some Lucha matches tend to be very fundamentally sound, with pinning combinations being legit finishers and all, some are just high flying for high flying, "let me hit this cool looking move before you hit your cool looking move", in an even more blatant way than Indie wrestling gets most of it's bad rep for. And Fenix is all of those things. Plus, the handspring cutter he and Jay Lethal use is probably the worst looking move in the history of wrestling. A move where your opponent CLEARLY has to run and jump into for it to hit? Really? I can't overlook that kind of stuff. And what really makes me hate him is that he is so athletic and can execute moves so crisply that people mistake him for a good wrestler.

Eh, I see what you're saying, and I don't watch Lucha Libre besides LU so don't crucify me on this, but that's what LU essentially is. Just a hour show dedicated to spot fests tbh. The Cage/Puma match was really good as Puma actually incorporated strikes into his arsenal but every episode of the show is just matches going from spot to spot. I enjoy it though, I thought Fenix would be just the usual Lucha Libre wrestler so I didn't really understand why you hate him. I thought spot monkeys in Lucha Libre were a given.

Anyways I have one, Vampiro and Matt Striker annoy me on commentary a lot. You get used to them, and I love Matt Strikers knowledge of EVERYTHING wrestling, but it gets overbearing sometimes...

They are to an extent, which is why I said "everything I hate about Lucha", but for the most part I believe Lucha Underground is doing a good job of holding their style while implementing more logic-based wrestling, especially in their singles matches not involving Fenix. And I see what you're saying about multi-man matches, but those I expect to be spot-fests because if we're being logical, multi men matches are supposed to be chaotic.

Eh, I see what you're saying, and I don't watch Lucha Libre besides LU so don't crucify me on this, but that's what LU essentially is. Just a hour show dedicated to spot fests tbh. The Cage/Puma match was really good as Puma actually incorporated strikes into his arsenal but every episode of the show is just matches going from spot to spot. I enjoy it though, I thought Fenix would be just the usual Lucha Libre wrestler so I didn't really understand why you hate him. I thought spot monkeys in Lucha Libre were a given.

Anyways I have one, Vampiro and Matt Striker annoy me on commentary a lot. You get used to them, and I love Matt Strikers knowledge of EVERYTHING wrestling, but it gets overbearing sometimes...

The team was decent for two episodes but man they trailed off. Between Vampiro throwing brother behind everything he says and Striker changing his pronunciation of wrestlers names every time he says them. On the first episode with Blue Demon I don't think he said his name the same way at all.

Striker tries too hard to be spanish when the guys from AAA are in the ring, thats his big issue.

My main one is that I'm in a weird spot with liking the Briscoes. I think Mark's look is just awful and he hinders the two big time, while I think Jay could be a legit star. On the flip side, I really like them as a tag team and I like that how they look and act is literally just how they are all the time. I'm a big time Jay Briscoe fan, even as a singles champ, I just don't know about Mark.

Bullet Club sucks big hairy balls. Sucked when Devitt ran it, sucks even harder since he's gone.

It's been like a cancer and no, not a cancer in a cool "Dose of nWo cancer" way that they try to promote it as, it's just cancer, cut it out of NJPW 'cause enough is enough now, no more Jeff Jarrett, no more throwing up Kliq signs and crotch chopping and all this cheesy 90's crap that you usually see get re-hashed in a TNA Stable on a yearly basis and i don't just mean disband, i'd like to see them get rid of AJ Styles, Gallows, Fale, even Anderson, infact take every Gaijin out of NJPW, at least for quite a while so it can recover from the overload of them.

The only exceptions that i can probably bare having in there right now is Kenny Omega and maybe KES.. i'd also have no problem with Cody Hall sticking about to cut his teeth in Japan, as long as his father doesn't show up.

^ This sounds more like you just dislike the ideas of having many non-natives in a japanese promotion.

Bullet Club throwing up Kliq signs, doing the DX chop, etc. is kinda the point of them...

I Get the point of Bullet Club, it's not that i'm missing the point (their point isn't just throwing up Kliq signs by the way), it's that the point of them doesn't appeal to me in any shape or form.

NJPW always has quite a few Gaijins amongst their ranks so it's not about me disliking them having non-natives, they've also had a few American and Gaijin stables in the past aswell and i've not had an issue with those, i just think Bullet Club is very stale cluster *Censored* of unoriginal nonsense and the majority of the foreign talent they have in there are ones that i do not wish to see.

Bullet Club should've ended with Devitt.. and with that said, there is only one Stable that Prince Devitt ever belonged to that was worth watching and that was C.T.U !

If Bullet Club's only point is throwing up Kliq signs, Nakamura's only point is shaking his head.

...You are the one who said it's kinda the point of them, not me.

no. The point of them is using Kliq's stuff. Not that their gimmick is doing the Kliq gesture.

The Bullet Club. They copy other stable's catchphrases, look, etc. in order to be successful. They're not another nWo rip-off (in the sense that they're supposed to be innovative). They're literally wannabe-nWo, Wolfpac, DX, Shield, Horsemen, Evolution and every other wrestling stable that ever found success in the US wrestling scene.

Not to mention...the Kliq hand gesture was there before the nWo was and it was not first seen in WCW or WWF.

Archived