Better Call Saul

Jmerc

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last episode was pretty nice.

What I loved:

• Jimmy's outrage at Sandpiper Crossing as he showed the demand letter. It just brought out a little of the same confidence that runs so effortlessly, through Saul Goodman.
  • The opening scenes between Chuck / Hamlin / Jimmy. Just seeing Chuck in disbelief at his brother passing the bar, and sceptical at employing him showed more about their conflicted relationship and how Jimmy has had to fight tooth-and-nail on his own belief to try and be a legit lawyer. Gorgeous rendering of the Hamlin / McGill scene, thought it was upsetting to see Jimmy torn down after that short celebration.
  • We're finally beginning to get somewhere with Chuck's "electro-hyper-sensitivitis" thing.

What I disliked / thought could have been better:

• Honestlyyy, nothing. I mean, I am intrigued to see where this plotline actually goes but I do not really have any drawbacks. I am just wondering how well Gilligan and Gould will balance the progression of, both, the Jimmy-to-Saul story as well as Mike's.
  • Also wondering what has happened to Nacho and co. I mean...wasn't Jimmy in some pretty big sh*t the last time he and Nacho talked to each other?

Overall rating: 7.5/10

Last episode was pretty nice.

What I loved:

• Jimmy's outrage at Sandpiper Crossing as he showed the demand letter. It just brought out a little of the same confidence that runs so effortlessly, through Saul Goodman.
  • The opening scenes between Chuck / Hamlin / Jimmy. Just seeing Chuck in disbelief at his brother passing the bar, and sceptical at employing him showed more about their conflicted relationship and how Jimmy has had to fight tooth-and-nail on his own belief to try and be a legit lawyer. Gorgeous rendering of the Hamlin / McGill scene, thought it was upsetting to see Jimmy torn down after that short celebration.
  • We're finally beginning to get somewhere with Chuck's "electro-hyper-sensitivitis" thing.

What I disliked / thought could have been better:

• Honestlyyy, nothing. I mean, I am intrigued to see where this plotline actually goes but I do not really have any drawbacks. I am just wondering how well Gilligan and Gould will balance the progression of, both, the Jimmy-to-Saul story as well as Mike's.
  • Also wondering what has happened to Nacho and co. I mean...wasn't Jimmy in some pretty big sh*t the last time he and Nacho talked to each other?

Overall rating: 7.5/10

My only complain with the series thus far is I want

more of Vaas/Nacho/Michael Mando.This guy is just gold

Nacho is a great character. I love that he actually paid the $20 out of his pocket. I also love that Mike demanded it. That whole scene was just pure goodness. The scene with the other two hired guns was great stuff too. Funny to see Steven Ogg (Trevor from GTAV) portraying pretty much the same character that he does in the game (minus the violent tendencies and sexual innuendos). Amazing episode overall.

I made comparisons to Lester as well. I think it may have been a not-so-subtle joke. :lol:

Gilligan's humour has always been like that, wouldn't surprise me at all. :lol:

@ Ol Durty: I do agree with you on that, but do you think it is the FULL reason?

I don't know, I think it could be the biggest reason for sure but the only one? Saul just seems like a monster compared to Jimmy, I think it's fueled by more than just Chuck's betrayal.

I don't want to speak too soon, but I'd expect the tragedy to just worsen.

I made comparisons to Lester as well. I think it may have been a not-so-subtle joke. :lol:

Gilligan's humour has always been like that, wouldn't surprise me at all. :lol:

@ Ol Durty: I do agree with you on that, but do you think it is the FULL reason?

I don't know, I think it could be the biggest reason for sure but the only one? Saul just seems like a monster compared to Jimmy, I think it's fueled by more than just Chuck's betrayal.

I don't want to speak too soon, but I'd expect the tragedy to just worsen.

What if he did it out of spite? Chuck thought he'd never become anything more than Slippin Jimmy and that he can't be a proper lawyer, so he became the best corrupt asshole he could be, untouchable by even the great Chuck McGill?

Saul a monster?

In Breaking Bad, he was always the voice of reason, tbh. He definitely has a moral compass. He tries to prevent bad things from happening to good people. Even in the early episodes of BCS, he saved those skaters from being killed. I wouldn't call him a monster. I would say that he gets people to do things for him, which put those people at risk...and then he manages to keep them alive, but still ultimately leave them worse than they were before meeting him...but that's more of a bumbling idiot trait than being a monster.

Seeing Trevor and a look a like Lester was awesome. Glad we still get to see what Mike is up to. Chuck and Jimmy's dynamic is great. Last episode of the season though is this sunday :(.............

Last of the year, right? Until this time next year :(

Generations:

Yeah, but that's Jimmy McGill, not Saul Goodman. Saul, the character we all know and obviously love, is the same character that enabled and contributed to Brock being poisoned in order for Jesse to have been on Heisenberg's side in his battle against Gustavo. I see that as a monstrous act in itself, even if calling Saul a monster may just be a little bit of a stretch per se.

Comparing how good-natured and caring Jimmy seems to be to the corrupt and cynical traits of his transformed self in Breaking Bad obviously shows a great contrast. You're right he has some bumbling idiot traits, but he as Saul is just far too different to he as Jimmy for me to see both characters as one and the same.

Lyriqz:

It'd actually be a great transformation in itself, but man...I don't know, like, that being the only reason? Saul actually succumbing to defeat but, in some twisted way, turning that into a positive and being the best corrupt lawyer in Albuquerque? It seems kind of realistic, but there may be more to it than just that, you know? It could be part of a bigger tragedy we have yet to see unravel in front of us.

Archived