Better Call Saul

Jmerc

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I liked it. I think a lot of people probably got bored with the slow pace and didn't watch all the way through, which is a shame...because that ending was worth sticking around for, and tonight's episode should definitely be much better than the pilot. While I found the pace a bit tedious at first, I was ultimately fine with it. It needed to be slow and boring to properly show the mundane life that Saul led both prior to and after being involved with criminals. To show that this guy was a complete schmuck to begin with, and he would return to being a complete schmuck after Breaking Bad. The ending, though...didn't see that coming. That alone should have redeemed the episode for anyone who found it boring.

Well I watched the encore and episode two. And it was...actually really nice. I never saw Breaking Bad, so I don't quite get the Saul part, I literally had nothing better to watch and decided "Why not." I'm quite pleased with my decision. Cinematogrophy is good, acting is good, music is good, and with episode two, it managed to make me laugh and nearly shit myself at the same time.

Well I watched the encore and episode two. And it was...actually really nice. I never saw Breaking Bad, so I don't quite get the Saul part, I literally had nothing better to watch and decided "Why not." I'm quite pleased with my decision. Cinematogrophy is good, acting is good, music is good, and with episode two, it managed to make me laugh and nearly shit myself at the same time.

You...you monster.

You...you monster.

Hey I'm not a big TV watcher outside of a few shows :laugh: I do plan to go back now and watch it just so I have more knowledge on Saul is and whatnot.

Both episodes were awesome. I have to say that the pacing is handled brilliantly, I wouldn't say it's at a breakneck speed but it is at a pace that most BB watchers - who were bored by its slow buildup - will appreciate.

Odenkirk is acting terrifically, too, and there are some hilarious bits in the 2nd ep. And also some fantastic cinematography you'll notice right off the bat.

I still think Breaking Bad is coming back after Better Call Saul is over. I think the series will end full circle with Walt somehow walking into Saul's Nebraska home and Saul reacting accordingly (as if he's seen a ghost)...right at that exact moment that they showed in the first episode where he was watching the tape of his commercials. Dude will fall out his chair, spill his drink all over, etc.

I just feel like BCS is too good of a spinoff to just be a spinoff. It has to be coming back to something.

Watched the first episode today. Didn't do much for me, unfortunately. Nothing that genuinly captured my interest happened, so I'll hope it was just to establish a general introduction. Liked the scene with the parking house though.

I felt a similar feeling during/after the first episode too. The second episode pulls everything together and did a great job of assuring me that this series will be fantastic.

I still think Breaking Bad is coming back after Better Call Saul is over. I think the series will end full circle with Walt somehow walking into Saul's Nebraska home and Saul reacting accordingly (as if he's seen a ghost)...right at that exact moment that they showed in the first episode where he was watching the tape of his commercials. Dude will fall out his chair, spill his drink all over, etc.

I just feel like BCS is too good of a spinoff to just be a spinoff. It has to be coming back to something.

I was thinking that

epilogue-esque

scene at the start could lead us to what happens, like, after that scene or something. I don't know, though, I kind of see a Gustavo Fring spin-off being more likely at this rate than a Breaking Bad continuation.

Unless you're saying Walt walks into Saul's Nebraska home ready to re-start business or something?

I was thinking that

epilogue-esque

scene at the start could lead us to what happens, like, after that scene or something. I don't know, though, I kind of see a Gustavo Fring spin-off being more likely at this rate than a Breaking Bad continuation.

Unless you're saying Walt walks into Saul's Nebraska home ready to re-start business or something?

I'm saying that Saul, living in Nebraska after the events of Breaking Bad, obviously thinks Walt is dead. It's been years (presumably) since that all happened. But instead of dying, Walt ended up living, going to jail, doing time...somehow getting out with less than a life sentence...at which point, he tracks down Saul...maybe because he's one of the only people he thinks he can trust. Not necessarily because he wants to go back into business, but because he's out, and has no where else to turn. His family has left him, Jesse is gone, etc. So he goes and finds Saul.

That opening scene just felt way too BIG to exist solely for the purpose of showing how far Saul has fallen. I expect them to close the season/series with that same scene, but something big will happen as he's sitting there watching his tape. Just have Walt walk in the front door without knocking, put down a suitcase and say "hello Saul". And that will be the end of the season (or maybe even the end of the series, if they do bring back Breaking Bad).

Few flaws:

1. Walt is dead. Police recovered his body and even if he was alive, he'd be in custody and it would make headline news since there was a nationwide manhunt after Walt ' s secret got out.

2. Being involved in Hank's death alone would keep Walt in prison forever. Besides, he's 50? Pirating a movie will keep him for a while.

3. How could a broke, powerless Walt travel to Nebraska and find 'Gene' when the FBI can't with knowledge that Gene is Saul?

4. If Walt doesn't need to cook, what would be the reason to see Saul? I doubt they like each other when there's no money involved. Hell, Walt is the REASON Saul is in hiding.

I'm sure I can think of more, but these are the obvious questions a casual BB fan would ask. I'm saying, have 'Gene' be our window to epilogue B.B by visiting easter eggs (such as a Newspaper saying "Son of Heisenberg uses funds to open cancer center") until there is a plot for Gene.

I thought that when he sees that guy in Cinnabon, Gene suspects he's compromised. If we follow Gene's life in these small snippets, we can get a story like that. Since we see him watching the glory days of his career, we can assume that he's still settling in life as Gene and on the run.

1. There is absolutely nothing that says Walt is dead.

2. He wasn't involved in Hank's death, he just happened to be there. And Hank was presumably not found.

3. He's Walter *censored*ing White, that's how.

4. You said it yourself "Walt is the reason Saul is hiding". You don't hide from dead people.

Archived