Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im literally begging for JJ Abrams to have an original idea. Its literally the exact same ending as Return of the Jedi. Not only in Skywalker redeems himself to save Jedi protagonist right down to Palpatine being there after he had already been killed, but with the retcon of Rey being a Palpatine it literally stops what could have been an original message from the heros character arc and replaces it with the exact same message we get from Lukes character arc in Return of the Jedi. Its not even that JJ has no original ideas, its that when he is set up with one he awkwardly fumbles around the writing to make sure it doesnt come to fruition and we instead get the exact same thing we already got. I think this is why this is the worst one. Cause as much as people slander the prequels and the Last Jedi, at the very least they were made by people who had ideas and a vision and didnt make screenplays based on a committee of Reddit users desires. If you dont have a story to tell, why bother? Thats my reaction to this. Maybe one day Ill eat my words and Ill like this movie but as of now its the only Star Wars movie I actively dislike.

I don't know when I'll get to see it so I kinda wanna click spoilers but then again I might get to go soon. Star Wars vids are starting to show up from my subbed and if I click anything, my recommendations will flood me with them. So it's like spoil me now or maybe spoil me later? I don't think I'll make it in time

Im literally begging for JJ Abrams to have an original idea. Its literally the exact same ending as Return of the Jedi. Not only in Skywalker redeems himself to save Jedi protagonist right down to Palpatine being there after he had already been killed, but with the retcon of Rey being a Palpatine it literally stops what could have been an original message from the heros character arc and replaces it with the exact same message we get from Lukes character arc in Return of the Jedi. Its not even that JJ has no original ideas, its that when he is set up with one he awkwardly fumbles around the writing to make sure it doesnt come to fruition and we instead get the exact same thing we already got. I think this is why this is the worst one. Cause as much as people slander the prequels and the Last Jedi, at the very least they were made by people who had ideas and a vision and didnt make screenplays based on a committee of Reddit users desires. If you dont have a story to tell, why bother? Thats my reaction to this. Maybe one day Ill eat my words and Ill like this movie but as of now its the only Star Wars movie I actively dislike.

Agree 100%

I hated TLJ and stil think it's a bottom barrell movie, but RoS has definitely beaten it out.

While TLJ killed the few setups that TFA had, RoS flat out tried to ignore TLJ AND tried to out-spectacle Infinity War and Endgame. It was a mess, that only said "*censored* you to anyone that ever bothered to watch any previous Star Wars movie, bar Rouge One maybe, aswell as Rian Johnson, who probably didn't watch a single Star Wars movie prior to TFA.

Also...not a single death stung with me in this movie. All the fakeouts and the now iredeemable Plotonium that is the Force, makes literally every other force sensitive person in the prior movies look worse.

I came out of Rise of Skywalker not hating it, but I also didn't hate Last Jedi that much so :lol: I had fun in the theatre but the movie is defiinitely flawed though in terms of pacing and story choices; 6.5/10 for me?? Someone said Disney should've followed Marvel and have a Kevin Feige-like figure that's closely involved with a unified vision for this trilogy because there was a lack of one and it shows.

- My biggest gripe was everything about Palpatine returning. Why? Is it cause Rian Johnson said *Censored* Snoke so Abrams needed a bigger villain for Kylo to complete his face turn on? Abrams came late into the project so he didn't have a lot of time to complete the screenplay so I feel like it was gonna be convoluted either way. When did Palpatine have time to have a family? Unless he 'created' his offspring just like he literally created Snoke and Anakin? I really don't like that Rey is a Palpatine lol, just double down on the "it doesn't matter what side you're born as" thing with Kylo; I said I wanted Rey to be revealed as a Solo during Last Jedi but I would've preferred Rey be "just Rey" instead of a Palpatine and then calling herself a Skywalker at the end lmao. And the Final Order superweapons was overkill

- "I am all the Sith/Jedi" = "I am inevitable/Iron Man"

- I was fine with "a thousand generations of Jedi" living in Rey metaphorically until Palpatine started saying the same with Sith as if it was literal

- Finn had like 4 possible ships (Rey/Rose/Poe :P /Jannah) but then nothing at the end :hqhq:

- Definitely a lot of fake out deaths. Chewie's really dragged for a while to add extra hurt. They could've killed off Zorri and Babu Frik tbh

- Dark Rey vision can force choke and stab me idgaf

- I know RoS is basically retconning LJ but I wished the ending would've taken a minute to revisit the ending of LJ with those force sensitive kids learning about the Skywalker legend but I guess not.

- I liked Rey's yellow saber and it ending in Tatooine was nice.

- I guess Rey calls herself a Skywalker because Ben's life force is in her and Leia was her Master and the mother she never had?

- Leia's scenes were done nicely, good tribute for Carrie Fisher; Chewie losing it after learning of her death :(

- I thought the Knights of Ren were going to be the Inquisitors to Kylo's Vader (kind of like former Jedi students without the hunting Jedis part) but I guess not they're just mini-bosses that turn on Ben with barely any interaction/connection between them earlier in the movie

- Rey and Ben's chemistry was great. The Han and Ben scene was cool, I feel like Leia was supposed to be in that scene instead or beside Han but because of her death they asked Harrison Ford for one last favor lol.

- Mandalorian 1x7 "connection" to Rise of Skywalker

- They purposefully introduced Baby Yoda's force healing right before Rise of Skywalker premiered, didn't they?

This movie was not that good, and it felt like the way Harry Potter movies did when it had wizards and witches doing magic or impossible things for Muggles right in front of Muggles, like flying on broomsticks and all. Pretty weird for the Force to be used like that.

I did not like how Leia died. Made no sense - she projected herself where Ben was, and that somehow killed her? And how did Han appear as a Force ghost when he's not a Force user? Unless it was just Kylo's good side speaking in form of Han or something. And how was a Force ghost able to control the Force and touch stuff like lightsabers?

Always thought Ben Kenobi sitting on the rock was just, not literal. And how despite being apart, were Kylo and Rey able to fight each other as if they were right next to each other? Can the Force do that? Or even magically teleport weapons to each other?

Very few parts were good. I loved the lightsaber fights, but it was pretty odd to have Ben (and the last blood Skywalker) die, and have the love story between him and Rey be gone. Isn't Star Wars about feeling good and stuff?

How could Palpatine have survived? Thought Rey was a badass though, like how she managed to take out Kylo's ship. Also enjoyed the Ben-Rey and Poe-Finn dynamics as well, they were great together. Rey's new lightsaber also looked awesome, but I also wish she buried Luke's own lightsaber as well along with Anakin and Leia's.

If Rey is Palpatine's own grandchild, then wouldn't her relationship with Ben be incestuous, given Ben would technically be Palpatine's great-grandchild as Palpatine created Anakin, who in turn fathered Ben's mother and uncle?

Lando was a nice appearance. Hated how Leia died though. Also wish we got to see her fight one time before Carrie died. I hope that if we do get the sequel trilogy with Rey, that it's done by people who actually like Star Wars and know how to make a good movie. I actually wouldn't mind getting the sequels as the movie did end on an interesting note.

Oh, and Ben's redemption felt too quick/easy. Leia appeared and out of nowhere, Ben turned good after an appearance by his dad even though his dad was there, and Ben literally killed him..

Damn, the worst one? I'm scared to see it

Got a plot point spoiled to me the other day. I don't even know if it was a swerve because I thought I joked about it leading to TLJ, but it didn't get much reaction outta me besides a head can't and "huh"

I guess it's kinda like TLJ. I saw early on how divisive the fan base was and it scared me but I ended up seeing it anyway. I just don't know if I'll see it in theaters or wait till later

Good Season Finale for Mandalorian.

- The Mando face reveal would've been my first time putting a face as to who's playing him (don't remember Googling it) if I hadn't seen a Pedro Pascal interview in my YouTube recommendations weeks ago :lol:

- why the *Censored* Moff got the darksaber

https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/1210652862193098753?s=19

Mandalorian Season 2 coming Fall 2020

Archived