Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

I wasn't starting shit with you just because, you need to stop jumping to that assumption. I disagreed with something you said so I posted about it. I would have said the same shit to everyone else. You're concocting you're own vendetta in you're own mind.

It's not the disagreement. It's the statement about ignorance. Nothing that I said was ignorant. It was a personal opinion about seeing a character in a movie, and the bit about the animated movie not mattering was a perfectly fair claim as well (explained in my last post). Maybe you should choose your words more carefully. Maybe we wouldn't be having arguments all the time. Maybe it's you...and the way that you address people with disrespect constantly.

I already know that you've said in the past that you view me as the type of person who thinks that nothing I say is wrong, and I already know that you've called me ignorant a number of times in the past. So, excuse me for taking offense when I see a statement like that. Because, I do consider it shit-stirring based on past statements made by you. It's not some elaborate scheme that I've concocted in my own mind...it's just being familiar with your posting habits and the way that you address people.

The ignorance I was referring to was you refusing to accept the canon.

Well maybe you should stop expecting posting habits and actually try to have a conversation for once without resorting to assumptions. Or did the PM you sent me weeks ago asking to me stop picking on you become irrelevant? Because I don't see you helping yourself or taking any steps to ignore me. I may have my habits, but you also have yours of taking things out of context, misinterpreting words and again, assuming things to the worst degree.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that never happened.

And let's not mix facts here, the PM I sent you was not asking you to "stop picking"...it was literally asking why it is that you treat people in the rude manner than you do. So...yeah, nothing has changed there. I never said I was going to ignore you. I asked why you wanted to treat people like that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway...

Back on the subject of Star Wars; Maybe I will watch Clone Wars...since you speak so highly of it, Sam. I guess I kinda passed it off as a random kids thing with no substance. Also, I'm really not a fan of that type of animation that resembles plastic. But, I guess it's worth a watch.

Something that never happened.

Yes it did, you said it doesn't count and/or matter because it doesn't take place in the main Star Wars movies. That DID happen and don't try and bullshit out of it. Just because you can't accept the fact that they've done something that you don't like the idea of, doesn't mean it doesn't count. It counts as much as Vader's paternal reveal. That's ignorance and non acceptance.

When Tolkien wrote all his letters about the world of Middle Earth, did they not count and/or matter because it wasn't part of the main book trilogy? No, it's just not pertinent to that particular story.

They can change canon if they want, but they haven't yet and therefor IT DOES MATTER.

Yes it did, you said it doesn't count and/or matter because it doesn't take place in the main Star Wars movies. That DID happen and don't try and bullshit out of it. Just because you can't accept the fact that they've done something that you don't like the idea of, doesn't mean it doesn't count. It counts as much as Vader's paternal reveal. That's ignorance and non acceptance.

I don't know why you're failing to understand what I've meant here. Look...most people only watch the main movies. When they think of Star Wars, they think of the main movies. If it hasn't happened there, then it hasn't happened to most people's recollection. Hence, it doesn't matter if something already happened in a cartoon show. It could really serve well to be reiterated in a feature length film.

I never claimed that those events didn't happen. I just don't see the ill effect in reiterating them with actual actors in a more proper setting. Consider it a remake or a retelling of events (or even a completely different series of events with Maul that is entirely unrelated to Clone Wars, but still falls within the parameters of that story).

Not once did I claim that the events didn't happen, or weren't canon...I just said that it didn't matter to most casual fans. To most casual fans (myself obviously included), the fact that Darth Maul had a major part in a cartoon series really doesn't satiate their desire to learn more about Darth Maul. Period. So...whether Clone Wars was canon or not, doesn't matter in regards to any possible future films that might go back in time and feature that character. Surely the Clone Wars series doesn't show every single aspect of Darth Maul's existence.

Yeah that checks out to me. I initially misunderstood what point you were making, but I've actually always felt the same way regarding the EU. All I meant was that for me, personally, as a diehard fan who does watch the shows and read the comics, I have my Maul fix. I understand why people who have better stuff to do than invest themselves in every nook and cranny of the canon would want more Darth Maul. He's barely in Episode I and he looks really cool.

My ideal stand alone movie would have a completely new cast or characters that exists outside of the Rebels or the Empire. Maybe we see the effects the war has on their way of life, but they aren't active participants. And these characters and their story would be the driving force of the film. Not some pre-established Star Wars thing that's attached to the plot. And ideally it'd have it's own identity, as far as direction goes, compared to the other films.

That would be quite cool to see, but it would never get made because commercially the studios would be scared of a flop without the "familiar" characters.

The scope for creation in that world is definitely open - hence the litany of EU books.

Personally I'd like to see a proper Shadows of the Empire movie - the videogame story was pretty good.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Rogue One didn't rely on familiar characters.

I guess it relied on a familiar plot though.

Familiar characters being Vader, the CGI Tarkin, CGI Leia, etc. (I'm assuming).

Instead of it being an entirely new branch of the Star Wars universe, it was just a rehash of events that already happened, revolving around the plot of the original trilogy. The main portion of the movie contained new characters...but the movie still revolved around that old plot. I think he's just saying that a Star Wars movie without any of the classic ties would be welcome.

I would even be open to the Ep 1-3 trilogy being re-imagined with the current (competent) film crew of the modern movies. Not retold...but revisited. The locations, some of the characters. No reason to do the stories over again...but the same feel of those films...just done...better. Like how GTA 3 and GTA IV are entirely different games...but the latter takes the overall feel of the first, and improves on it. Or again with San Andreas and GTA V. Revisit that trilogy in terms of location and overall feel, but make it not suck.

Absolutely. I think there's a lot of potential there. It'd be more refrshing at the very least. Why play around with perfection? It's like horror remakes. Don't remake Nightmare on Elm Street. You do what John Carpenter did with The Thing or Cronenberg did with The Fly and you play around in a world that the original filmakers didn't nail the first time.

I would even be open to the Ep 1-3 trilogy being re-imagined with the current (competent) film crew of the modern movies. Not retold...but revisited. The locations, some of the characters. No reason to do the stories over again...but the same feel of those films...just done...better. Like how GTA 3 and GTA IV are entirely different games...but the latter takes the overall feel of the first, and improves on it. Or again with San Andreas and GTA V. Revisit that trilogy in terms of location and overall feel, but make it not suck.

Oh for sure I'd be down for clone war era movies.

My ideal stand alone movie would have a completely new cast or characters that exists outside of the Rebels or the Empire. Maybe we see the effects the war has on their way of life, but they aren't active participants. And these characters and their story would be the driving force of the film. Not some pre-established Star Wars thing that's attached to the plot. And ideally it'd have it's own identity, as far as direction goes, compared to the other films.

That would be quite cool to see, but it would never get made because commercially the studios would be scared of a flop without the "familiar" characters.

The scope for creation in that world is definitely open - hence the litany of EU books.

Personally I'd like to see a proper Shadows of the Empire movie - the videogame story was pretty good.

I'd be so damn happy to see Dash Rendar on fiim!

I wouldn't mind a film about Jango. Looked him up in the wookiepedia years agofor a little bit of info and it seems like he led a pretty rough life. Even better, something about how the whole "rule of two" came into fruition, since all (most?) of the Darth Bane stuff is in legends

I wouldn't mind a film about Jango. Looked him up in the wookiepedia years agofor a little bit of info and it seems like he led a pretty rough life. Even better, something about how the whole "rule of two" came into fruition, since all (most?) of the Darth Bane stuff is in legends

Darth Bane (and Rule of Two) is Canon as of the Clone Wars. That would prob be better as a novel or comic though

Yeah I don't need a Darth Bane movie. You can tell that story with the spoken word and visualisations within future movies. Keep an air of mystery about it and give Darth Bane that legendary status. Not everything needs to be explained.

I wouldn't be opposed to it ofc, but yeah. If they really want to explain it and worldbuild then that's what comics and novels are for.

For the sake of enjoyment, it's a fictional universe. None of it is real...so you might as well just enjoy what you enjoy, and ignore what you don't. I choose to pretend that the Episode 1-3 trilogy never existed. And I don't mean that those events didn't necessarily "cease to occur"...but, rather, the movies themselves were never made. I think of it more as a telling of a story, passed down from one time to another...with bits perhaps told wrong or left out entirely. I accept the basic events that occurred in those movies...but again, I pretend like the movies never happened, because they were so poorly executed. Like...if you had read about those events in a really well written book, it would have been more enjoyable than watching those films. So, that's how I view it. The story was told, I know that portion of the story...but those movies never happened to me. :lol:

So, you see the prequels as like a made for Lifetime film based on actual events?

I don't mind the prequel trilogy. There are both some good and bad. My biggest problem, however, is the acting and dialog. Both problems lie with Lucas. Lucas should have had someone rework his dialog, especially the romantic dialog. He also should have had someone else direct. The way a lot of the actors and actresses acted paled in comparison to other works they've done.

I really liked the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series. The Clone Wars show was deeper, but the Rebels show is funner. Two of the best story arcs of Clone Wars was the arc with Krell and the arc with Fives.

So, you see the prequels as like a made for Lifetime film based on actual events?

I don't mind the prequel trilogy. There are both some good and bad. My biggest problem, however, is the acting and dialog. Both problems lie with Lucas. Lucas should have had someone rework his dialog, especially the romantic dialog. He also should have had someone else direct. The way a lot of the actors and actresses acted paled in comparison to other works they've done.

I agree completely with that. The only one I really don't like is Phantom Menace, I can happily watch Attack of the Clones, and I actually really like Revenge of the Sith. I don't understand how people said the final duel was anticlimactic, I thought it was superb.

Aside from the dialogue, the biggest issue I have with Episode III is the criminal waste of General Grevous. Incidentally I thoroughly recommend the novel of Episode III by Matthew Stover (and the follow up, Dark Lord Rising).

Wut?

No, I just pretend that the movies don't exist; I act like I know the story...like it was bestowed upon me once upon a time, long ago...but I don't consider the movies themselves.

Like...we all know the story of Goldilocks and the three bears....but I don't think any of us remember the first time we heard it. I just treat those movies like that. I know the story, I know it well, and I don't try to consider why I know it...I just know that I do. I mean...I would never go back and watch one of those movies again...now that I already know the story. So, they might as well not exist to me...and that's how I treat them.

Archived