Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno. How many games came out that had crawls? That's never been a Skywalker thing. That's a Star Wars thing

Okay should've read the article first. Did the Ewok movie have a crawl?

I feel shitty cause I've spent like my entire childhood loving Star Wars more than like anything else in the world. Watching the movies every day, having hundreds of action figures, playing the video games, reading up on EU. But I still can't even force myself to give a shit about Rogue One. Like I'm gonna see it, so I guess that's all that matters to Disney, but this annualization thing has made this the first Star Wars movie I haven't had any sort of hype or anticipation for.

Rogue One won't have an opening crawl because it's "a stand-alone film and not part of the Skywalker saga"

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2016/11/22/lucasfilm-president-confirms-why-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-has/

LOL they say this like it might keep me away from the seeing the movie in theaters in December...

No but more than like 1 would be nice. Are you forgetting there used to be three year gaps between movies?

Ah, it was only three huh? I was thinking one of those was a bit larger than that. As a huge SW fan, you don't reeeeeally wanna scratch that itch for three years do ya? Personally, it feels like TFA happened way more than a year ago to me.

That's my issue. Force Awakens wasn't great, but it was good enough to quench that thirst for Star Wars for a few years. People nowadays just don't savor things anymore. It's in with one thing and then on to the next. I guess I can't blame Disney as much as I should blame ADHD culture. I just know it's going to end up like the Marvel movies for me which is something I'd never want for my favorite film franchise.

How exactly are you blaming people for watching movies that studio's pump out every year? Disney and the studio's are exactly who you should blame. People would happily wait an extra year or two, but studio's are too scared that people will lose interest.

And the Marvel franchise is fantastic. You might not like them, but their business model is damn near perfect.

How exactly are you blaming people for watching movies that studio's pump out every year? Disney and the studio's are exactly who you should blame. People would happily wait an extra year or two, but studio's are too scared that people will lose interest.

And the Marvel franchise is fantastic. You might not like them, but their business model is damn near perfect.

Closely examine how I refer to the Marvel franchise. I'm talking about it, and Star Wars for that matter, on a purely personal level. You're arguing points about business models that are irrelevant to the conversation. I never once said that their business model was flawed overall, just that it's a business model that personally makes me lose interest.

Pretty far-fetched but there's this theory about Rogue One

that the group gets the Death Star plans but still get captured, Vader turns them to the dark side, and they become the Knights of Ren

ReZE1dK.png

(top image is concept art of the Knights)

that the group gets the Death Star plans but still get captured, Vader turns them to the dark side, and they become the Knights of Ren

ReZE1dK.png

Seen this theory a few times, but I don't see it happening myself. We know Kylo is the Master of The Knights of Ren and I personally think the other Knight's are members of Luke's Jedi academy that Kylo managed to turn to the dark side.

We shall see though, I am very interested to learn more about them.

Thought it was odd seeing a comedic trailer for Rogue One on one of the Disney channels as I was channel surfing last night, I had never watched it before. Definitely meant for their younger viewers, I'm guessing...

ReZE1dK.png

Seen this theory a few times, but I don't see it happening myself. We know Kylo is the Master of The Knights of Ren and I personally think the other Knight's are members of Luke's Jedi academy that Kylo managed to turn to the dark side.

We shall see though, I am very interested to learn more about them.

Had this in my watch later but didn't know that this is what it was about

Makes sense. Kylo is seemingly the only member of this group that uses a lightsaber and possibly the only force user within the knights. There were no force sensitive Rogue One rebels and there's a key reason as to why this story in particular is being told. It could very well be the KoR backstory.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from the theater. It was a pretty good movie. I said it couldn't possibly be worse than The Force Awakens (which was a bad movie, btw), and I was right. I really liked it!

It's a little bizarre to see a Star Wars movie with no 20th Century Fox fanfare. You don't realize how intertwined it is in Star Wars it until it's not there. But of course there's a good reason for it being gone.

The use of Peter Cushing's likeness really surprised me, but in a good way! It was like he was still alive. Remarkable. Leia's was a bit less perfect, but her voice was right on the money. That in itself surprised me, because Carrie herself doesn't sound like that anymore. I wasn't expecting the "suicide mission" bit where everybody dies (I avoided all info about this movie), but I loved that part.

I just came back from the theater. It was a pretty good movie. I said it couldn't possibly be worse than The Force Awakens (which was a bad movie, btw), and I was right. I really liked it!

It's a little bizarre to see a Star Wars movie with no 20th Century Fox fanfare. You don't realize how intertwined it is in Star Wars it until it's not there. But of course there's a good reason for it being gone.

The use of Peter Cushing's likeness really surprised me, but in a good way! It was like he was still alive. Remarkable. Leia's was a bit less perfect, but her voice was right on the money. That in itself surprised me, because Carrie herself doesn't sound like that anymore. I wasn't expecting the "suicide mission" bit where everybody dies (I avoided all info about this movie), but I loved that part.

Loved it too!! I liked The Force Awakens but this was way better.

I was surprised by the use of Cushing's likeness and younger Leia too but I loved it and it still fit really well. Didn't bother me in the least. I was expecting the suicide mission but at the same time, I wasn't sure if they'd actually go through with it. The ending with Vader was awesome too! Makes me want more Vader just destroying people though, lol.

Finally got to see it. Really good, much better than I expected. I've described Force Awakens as an amusement park ride, which I sort of like in its own way, but this one really felt like a film. Loved how it was shot. Gareth really knows how to work a camera. Very much his own style, but more in line with the originals. Maybe my biggest gripe with the Force Awakens was JJ's spastic way of shooting being a little off putting. Gareth really managed to capture the scale of things well.

I think my biggest issue was the music. Obviously I knew it wasn't John Williams going in. I know it probably isn't fulfilling for a composer to just emulate what somebody else does, but it's kind of what I wanted. It wouldn't have been as distracting if he hadn't like drawn so much from it but made weird offputting changes. It sounded like stock music they have when parodies can't use the real score. Took me out of the movie a few times.

Didn't expect myself to grow so attached to these characters either. They had a large cast and not too much time to establish everybody but I found myself genuinely feeling sad everytime one of them bit the dust one by one. It's kind of *censored*ed up how seeing Chirrut die, a character I'd only known for a couple hours, had a bigger emotional impact than Han Solo dying, a character who I've loved my entire life. Same goes for the rest of the main cast too. Bummed I won't be seeing them again, but it was the best for the story.

Another gripe is aliens again. Give us some classic ones, shit. These new ones all look like Dr. Who aliens. Give us a mix.

After one viewing that's all I have to say. As I watch it more I'm sure I'll notice more things. There's no way that it could thrill me as much as Force Awakens did the first time viewing it, but this one might have more longevity to it. We'll see.

Like what? I saw a Mon Calamari, an Aqualish, and a Pacithhip (maybe? looked a little different but may not have been one). Force Awakens only had a Mon Calamari, a Sullustan, and a Wookiee.

Can't think of names at the moment but even the ugly alien dude (on Jedhi) that Jyn bumps into is from another Episode.

Archived