Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Guest Fight Me.
23 minutes ago, TrisetMaster908 said:

Just finally watched The Last Jedi, mainly because my bestfriend said NOT to play Battlefront II until I do because of

I enjoyed it but umm well...

Think you mean Rise of Skywalker...incase others haven't seen it yet also. :P

And The Mandalorian is must watch for every Star Wars fan I'd say!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/24/2020 at 5:58 AM, Jmerc said:

Anyone watching the last season of Clone Wars? 

it’s REALLY good! 

I haven't watched any of the previous seasons but I found a list online of 20 essential episodes to watch before Season 7 so I'll probably watch the show that way when I have time lol

Oh shoot yeah I ment The Rise of Skywalker lol, dang that's the 2nd time today. First was accidentally getting The Last Jedi from Redbox, then had to get The Rise of Skywalker from my friends so I could watch it lol. I didnt get much sleep last night so maybe that's why I got confused lol

Come to think about it... Rey was an entirely pointless character. 

The recent trilogy should have focussed entirely on Kylo and his struggle with his virtuous Skywalker/Solo heritage and wanting to live up to Vader's name with Snoke pulling his dark side strings. The Last Jedi teased an evolved state of force user, something neither Jedi nor Sith, and that is what Kylo's legacy should have been. An evolved force user for a new generation of Star Wars. Of course The Last Jedi got too scared of changing too much and reverted back to the same old bollocks where nothing changed or progressed and it all felt like a waste of time. 

If Disney wanted to seem passive progressive and have a female lead, then there was no reason Kylo couldn't have been female. 

Phew, I'm glad I was already partially spoiled before I checked that spoiler tag cause i was waiting for Rise to hit D+ to see it

Dawson as Ahsoka is craaaaazy. I'm slow burning watching Clone Wars as it's the only thing that's really keeping my D+ active right now and alot of the episodes seem throwaway but I'm enjoying what I see.

Of course The Last Jedi got too scared of changing too much and reverted back to the same old bollocks where nothing changed or progressed and it all felt like a waste of time.

You meant Rise right there, right? Sounds like it was so focused on giving answers to everything and bringing it all to a close that it ignored all the interesting sheeit that changed

No, he's talking about Last Jedi. Most of the film was spent teasing Rey and Kylo departing from the Jedi and Sith but by the end they didn't. Rey associates herself with the Jedi and Kylo associates himself with the Sith. Nothing changed.

And I disagree with Rey being pointless. The core theme of the whole sequel trilogy is the unique bond Rey and Kylo share with each other through the force (the Force Dyad). Without Rey, Kylo has no counter and the trilogy becomes something else. Rey is as essential to this trilogy as Kylo is. You can't have one without the other.

13 hours ago, WNX said:

Phew, I'm glad I was already partially spoiled before I checked that spoiler tag cause i was waiting for Rise to hit D+ to see it

Dawson as Ahsoka is craaaaazy. I'm slow burning watching Clone Wars as it's the only thing that's really keeping my D+ active right now and alot of the episodes seem throwaway but I'm enjoying what I see.

You meant Rise right there, right? Sounds like it was so focused on giving answers to everything and bringing it all to a close that it ignored all the interesting sheeit that changed

No, I mean the Last Jedi.

I'm genuinely curious to know what interesting "sheeit" changed? Aside from some random new force powers...what changed? Because they pretended to shake things up, but nothing was permanent, or really mattered. It was a giant waste of time. If they wanted to do another good vs. evil movie, then do one.

Because I hadn't watched the final film, there wasn't any way to know if what the Last Jedi did actually had payoff in it, despite it apparently not having much in TLJ itself.

As far as changes, yeah I was leaning into the force powers sheeit, but specifically Rey and Kylo's link and the grey force user thing. I still believe that TJL was just expectation subversion for the sake of it but was hoping there'd be some pay off in the final episode

New force powers aren't changes. They are convenient plot devices. 

I do agree that Last Jedi exists to subvert expectations, but ultimately they didn't even do that. So they showed some new space magic stuff, but the movie ended up going back on itself and remained the same generic good vs. evil that they said it wasn't. They blatantly lied to their audience during promo junkets (though it's to be expected), but saying shit like: 'it's a whole new direction for the franchise!' 'Star Wars will never be the same!' except it was the same. I imagine the changes they ultimately pretended to make was Rian Johnson trying to put a new spin on things, but the Disney hammer came  crashing down because they got too frightened about trying new things. They got frightened of trying new things because they did not have an overall vision for what the trilogy was. They winged it with every movie, and failed to do anything cohesive. JJ Abrams (who really shouldn't write his own shit anymore) was left to pick up the pieces of a mismatched story, and rushed to do so. They needed a Kevin Feige figure to watch over things, and keep things cohesive. I was genuinely surprised to learn that they had no plans for the trilogy and went ahead with them anyway. Especially after the MCU is handled so well. Now that apparently Taika Wahtiti has been given a Star Wars movie to co-write and direct...they really need to just let the creator be creative. Let him pull a James Gunn or, himself on Thor: Ragnarok. Let them create and do what they do best. They do it in another major franchise, no reason why they can't do it here. I firmly think Last Jedi is the worst movie of the whole franchise, even worse than Attack of The Clones. Poor writing, bad story structure, crappy action, and poor attempts at shock value. 

I mean thank god for Mando really. 

1 hour ago, Creepia said:

Oh god no more god damn Skywalker shit. No one cares about Kylo having kids 

Do something else, they literally have a whole galaxy to play with 

From your keyboard to Disney's ears.

I mean, the Skywalkers are an iconic Star Wars family and central to the universe, so it makes sense to keep involving them. Hopefully they don't try to if they make series on the Old Republic. I would actually love to see the old Jedi vs. Sith, that should be explored more. Maybe we can get something like Peaky Blinders, where we get multiple seasons where each season focuses on one part of the enmity or Old Republic in general. 

Archived