Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speeder Race/battle in the desert looks like a cool set piece. That destroyed Death Star II in the ocean is a cool image as were the one ruins of various vehicles in the desert in Force Awakens. I mean all I can comment on really is the visuals since I dont know anything in terms of plot. Costume design looks a little more colorful than the last one. I like how that North by Norhwest homage sequence with Rey in the desert is shot.

Wondering how Palpatine will play out, but any Ian McDiarmid is welcome.

Also favorite part was Lando flying the Falcon. Billy Dee looks like hes having a blast.

Did another rewatch of Attack of the Clones last night. Theres a lot of cool stuff bubbling beneath the surface. Its sort of a giant ironic melodrama. It pretty much lays out that Anakin are Padme are a terrible couple from the start. Even if Anakin had not become a Sith and Padme lived they would not have stayed together forever. I dont know why I took it at face value until recently, its all there. Same goes for Anakin being unlikable. I think its totally intentional. George perfectly hit the nail on the head of the type of entitled, racist, incel susceptible to facism 15 years before that became a thing people talked about.

Did another rewatch of Attack of the Clones last night. Theres a lot of cool stuff bubbling beneath the surface. Its sort of a giant ironic melodrama. It pretty much lays out that Anakin are Padme are a terrible couple from the start. Even if Anakin had not become a Sith and Padme lived they would not have stayed together forever. I dont know why I took it at face value until recently, its all there. Same goes for Anakin being unlikable. I think its totally intentional. George perfectly hit the nail on the head of the type of entitled, racist, incel susceptible to facism 15 years before that became a thing people talked about.

While Hayden wasn't exactly the greatest actor, it's pretty well known that Lucas wanted him to portray Anakin with little emotion, and coldness. As I usually say, I recommend the novels of Episode II and III as they add a lot more subtle nuances to the characters, which make the story much deeper. Especially the subtle way Palpatine is steering Anakin with the little comments he makes - in the film it seems a bit of a sudden "ah well what the hell, I'll join the Sith" but it's actually built up steadily, and you can then also fully appreciate the trap that Palpatine springs on him in the end.

And yes as you say, Anakin is still at his core not mature enough to handle his power and those flaws are ultimately exploited to create Darth Vader. From the beginning he is not a "good boy" like Luke is. He disobeys orders right from the beginning, and has anger and frustration - but where Luke has a little whinge - Anakin often acts with that anger.

I mean yeah thats the true tragedy of the prequels: the Jedis failure. The Jedi are constantly portrayed as negligent assholes throughout the prequel trilogy. They go to a planet with slave labor and their reaction is just sort of oh well nothing we can do here until they find out one is a Jedi. Then of course they extract that one. Not his mother though. Sorry kid, moms still a slave. Did I mention were the peacekeepers of the galaxy? Thats why I think Revenge of the Sith ends so great. Because what they have are the two most powerful Jedi children after the genocide of the Jedi. Yet rather than immediately start training them from birth, as is typical with Jedis, Yoda and Obi-Wan recognize they *censored*ed up and dont know how to properly raise a child and decide to place them with families, where theyll grow up like real people and not cold, emotionless monks. And that makes all the difference.

I think the channel CinemaWins is on point with Revenge of the Sith, when he shows exactly where the Jedi fail and how they are no different than Sidious in their philosophy.

What I'm talking about starts at 9:20

I still think the Jedi should have been a small group of monks who are forced into helping the Republic's army, rather than a militaristic order who are the generals of armies already any way.

I still think the Jedi should have been a small group of monks who are forced into helping the Republic's army, rather than a militaristic order who are the generals of armies already any way.

The result of being around for too long.

Obi-Wan failed Anakin, but Anakin also didn't mature well. He kept on to his anger and was selfish enough to risk everything just so he could keep Padme. But then again, what happened to his mom during his childhood and after reuniting with her drove him to that, he even refused to listen to Palpatine and let Obi-Wan die on the ship.

Luke didn't have that anger, I think, just a yearning to go on adventures. He and his dad paralleled in ways, and yet they differed too, it's interesting to think about. I'm not sure how arrogant and cocky Luke was compared to Anakin, I don't remember him being so boastful. And yet, he was impulsive like his dad as well.

I hate how Lucas had Anakin portrayed, though, in the prequels. Given love is part of what made him turn, he should have been more emotive. Also a shame we never got to see what Luke could truly do, especially since Lucas (?) said Luke represented Anakin's potential had he not become machine.

I hate how Padme "lost the will to live" because of Ani's dumbass, but didn't think it was important enough to survive for her newborn children.

I also hate Disney just snatched Clone Wars off Netflix 10 or so days ago when I randomly got an urge to pick the series back up. And once Last Jedi and Solo's time is up, that the end of the road. No more Star Wars on Netflix

Padme didn't "lost the will to live."

It's heavily implied that the Emperor took he life in order to save Vader.

It's a usage of the force that no Jedi has ever seen and that Palpatine talked about in the Opera scene

Was it heavily implied other than that opera house scene? Because it seems to me that if you entirely forgot that scene existed or missed it somehow then it's heavily implied that Anakin's force choke trauma forced Padme into induced labour. Or that she just went into childbirth and it killed her like millions of women before her. Grief does that.

I guess ole' Sheev could have been doing that, but I do not remember any scene, mention or nod around Padme's childbirth scene that implied the Emperor was doing anything. It IS heavily implied however (even shown), that it was technology that kept Vader alive. In fact it's canon.

You could argue that the opera house scene wasn't there for no reason, but so many other things in the prequels are there for no reason so I would counter argue that it's no argument at all.

Well...Padme dying for seemingly no detectable (droid) reason is one clue.

Then Palpatine blatantly lying to Vader after Vader's rebirth.

And...something that is not actually hard to pick up without headphones...Vader's heart stops for one beat just at the very same moment Padme dies. Padme is dead and then Vader lets out his "first" breath underneath the mask.

It's really subtle but quite the clue, once you notice it

My reading of the opera scene is that it practically confirms Palpatine created Anakin through the the force. Hes talking about how Sith could use the force to create life, while sitting next to the immaculately conceived Jedi, while bubbles full of sperm-like organisms are prominently featured between the two of them. Its very Eraserhead.

My reading of the opera scene is that it practically confirms Palpatine created Anakin through the the force. Hes talking about how Sith could use the force to create life, while sitting next to the immaculately conceived Jedi, while bubbles full of sperm-like organisms are prominently featured between the two of them. Its very Eraserhead.

Yeah thats a good point. We know that Shmi got pregnant without a man right?

Archived