Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not hyped for that movie in the slightest. They got themselves a hard task to cobble together this mess.

That sucks :(

I'm a die hard fan and get excited for anything Star Wars!

I am not hyped for that movie in the slightest. They got themselves a hard task to cobble together this mess.

I'm a die hard Star Wars fan.

I can't get excited for anything Star Wars anymore :/

Was looking through stills of the Last Jedi last night. Steve Yeldin knocked it out of the park. I think in terms of cinematography it might be my favorite Star Wars movie. So many shots to just geek out over if youre into that sort of stuff. Ones that stick out to me are Yoda and Luke sitting before the burning tree, Luke facing down those AT-AT walkers, Luke and Kylo standing off, and Luke dying under the twin sons. God just gorgeous cinematography.

Plus Rian Johnson just has such a cinematic eye. He does such great things with color. Ive adored that image of those Ski Speeders on Crait trailing bright red dust behind them against the completely white surface. Snokes bright red throne room almost reminds me of something out of the Holy Mountain weirdly enough. Theres a few things in his script Id personally change (though not many), but I think hes maybe the best director the franchise has had since Irvin considering that even Lucas would say that directing isnt his passion.

Though I do appreciate Lucas deeply for being a weirdo who made polarizing, left field choices, which I think Rian keeps to the spirit of. As the franchise has gotten more corporate, I think that weirdness has become something Ive grown to love. Its definitely made me appreciate the prequels in a new way. Theyre a mess in the way only a genius could make a mess. I think one of the biggest things I give Last Jedi credit for is that its a corporate movie that doesnt feel like a corporate movie at all. And I think the fact that a lot of people dont like it just makes me love it that much more.

I think I have a lot less stake in this though. I dont get how people are still angry about the Last Jedi on a daily basis. I mean Im a diehard, lifelong fan, who used to read Wookieepedia for fun when I first got the internet. The way I see it is, theyre obviously going to be making these movies forever. Theyve already probably made more bad ones than good. Why get so hung up on one for being bad? Theyll be 10 more of these some day. No sense in letting it live rent free in your head.

Theyve already probably made more bad ones than good. Why get so hung up on one for being bad?

Because there are 100 ways fans thought it would(should)go and they intentionally made it go the 101st. I still believe it was specifically made to say "*Censored* you" to fan theories. " You say TFA is too much like ANH? We're predictable now, huh? Hold my blue milk"

Theyve already probably made more bad ones than good. Why get so hung up on one for being bad?

Because there are 100 ways fans thought it would(should)go and they intentionally made it go the 101st. I still believe it was specifically made to say "*Censored* you" to fan theories. " You say TFA is too much like ANH? We're predictable now, huh? Hold my blue milk"

Just because a film went left field and you they did something you didn't want doesn't make it bad lmao.

Star Wars fanbase is so immature about this kinda stuff.

Oh is that what they did? Something different? Because it seems to me that they pretended to do something different before eventually actually not doing anything different at all. 75% of that film presents themes of challenging the general feeling of the saga. Is the Jedi Orde a good thing? Should it be restored? Are force users really just the same as each other, but indoctrinated into one side or another without getting a chance to explore the neutrality between them both? That is what they started teasing with Rey and Kylo being two sides of the same coin. Except nevermind, Rey ended up being altruistic and good and Kylo was just evil for some reason. They pretended to delve into themes of the world not being so black and white (and then promoted the movie like that), but did not actually do anything different. They added in some new force powers and filmed things a little differently. Kudos to that I guess? Let alone gaping plot holes that some people just can't overlook. Chief of them being Laura Dern's character and sacrificing herself for no reason. I guess drama was the reason? But what is drama without story to back it up?

Remember in the final act when Rey declines Kylo's offer for them to work together? When Luke went back on all the character development they gave to him through the movie? Yeee, that was crap. That was pure run of the mill, playing it safe crap. If you like traditionalist Star Wars then thats great and more the power to you, but let us not pretend that movie did anything different or 'left field', because it didn't. It pretended to. The biggest complaint people have with this movie (and don't just put this down to the SW fanbase being immature) is that this movie pretended to subvert expectations and failed to do so. They pulled the rug out from people and those who were ready to be lead into something different were wholeheartedly let down. That is not people being immature, that is bad storytelling.

Just because the film pretended to go left field and did somethings that you didn't mind, doesn't make it good. Lmao. Star Wars fans can be very ignorant about this kinda stuff.

Oh is that what they did? Something different? Because it seems to me that they pretended to do something different before eventually actually not doing anything different at all. 75% of that film presents themes of challenging the general feeling of the saga. Is the Jedi Orde a good thing? Should it be restored? Are force users really just the same as each other, but indoctrinated into one side or another without getting a chance to explore the neutrality between them both? That is what they started teasing with Rey and Kylo being two sides of the same coin. Except nevermind, Rey ended up being altruistic and good and Kylo was just evil for some reason. They pretended to delve into themes of the world not being so black and white (and then promoted the movie like that), but did not actually do anything different. They added in some new force powers and filmed things a little differently. Kudos to that I guess? Let alone gaping plot holes that some people just can't overlook. Chief of them being Laura Dern's character and sacrificing herself for no reason. I guess drama was the reason? But what is drama without story to back it up?

Remember in the final act when Rey declines Kylo's offer for them to work together? When Luke went back on all the character development they gave to him through the movie? Yeee, that was crap. That was pure run of the mill, playing it safe crap. If you like traditionalist Star Wars then thats great and more the power to you, but let us not pretend that movie did anything different or 'left field', because it didn't. It pretended to. The biggest complaint people have with this movie (and don't just put this down to the SW fanbase being immature) is that this movie pretended to subvert expectations and failed to do so. They pulled the rug out from people and those who were ready to be lead into something different were wholeheartedly let down. That is not people being immature, that is bad storytelling.

Just because the film pretended to go left field and did somethings that you didn't mind, doesn't make it good. Lmao. Star Wars fans can be very ignorant about this kinda stuff.

Yawn, so just because they didn't follow through with what you wanted to happen basically you threw your toys out the pram like a lot of the fanbase. Also yeah the Laura Dern character might have been farfetched but at the end of the day you're watching a film. To the people who think that was franchise shattering is a bit much.

The amount of dumb shit that happens in the other Star Wars movie and people go into meltdown over a kamikaze sequence... yeah lol, if you was that assed you should have given up on Star Wars a long time ago if you wanted good story telling without holes.

I dont think thats the case. I just think Rian Johnson did what he wanted to do above all else. I dont think what fans wanted or didnt want were on his mind at all and he wrote the script in a vacuum. Im just going off the way he talks about the making of the film in the Director and the Jedi documentary. I dont think Rian Johnson had a lot of stock in peoples thoughts towards Force Awakens cause he had nothing to do with that movie.

I also dont think people didnt like Last Jedi because it ruined their fan theories. I just think Rian Johnson made a lot of polarizing decisions people didnt like. Fair enough, I just happen to fall on the side that liked what he did for the most part. Im fine with any criticisms as long as they arent based in alt-right talking points about white genocide or use the term feminazi. Once anybody starts blabbering on about that shit they can get *censored*ed.

Guest Shades of Cool

I'm a die hard Star Wars fan.

I can't get excited for anything Star Wars anymore :/

Same here. :fedup:

I've only seen TLJ once but i gotta watch again because I remember the lead up to the suicide attack being unnecessary (weren't they trying to flush out a mole though? Wrong movie?)but the attack itself being necessary. I still love that scene XD. It's one of the only things I remember from that whole film that I didn't actually yell "Bullsheeit!" about besides "the greatest teacher, failure is"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived