Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised people like Rogue One.

Said it countless times...

It is literally the most accurate representation of a "war" among the "stars". :lol: Like...the other movies all take place in Jungles or Tundras, or specific planets with flora and fauna. Rogue One has the tropical setting...but it also has an expansive battle that takes place in Space and shows the gigantic scale of what a space battle actually would be. I really loved how the movie properly portrayed an actual Star War. Lmao.

Rogue One was a fun action jaunt. Nothing in the way of story, but it was a string of fun set pieces. Also as Gen said, it was the best example of a war among the stars.

I really wanted them to stick on that war planet on Solo for a while longer.

I really didn't like Solo. Because it was an origin story without the origin part and they forgot to make Han a selfish, money digging asshole

Don Glover's smile is 100% Lando though. A perfect cast for once

Han being selfish was never a character trait. It was a couple of instances because he had a motive. If he was selfish he wouldn't have had Chewie along with him the whole time. He was greedy, sure, but we see that in Solo too. As for money digging. You can construde that greed for money digging, but ultimately he did have to pay Jabba the Hutt off and the only way to do that is with money. Sure he might have wanted to keep it, which is the same in Solo, but he gave it up for people he cares about. He does that in both A New Hope (when he comes back to help with the Death Star) and in Solo to try and help Qira get away from Crimson Dawn. The guy flirts around the edges of being a selfish money grabber, but he never actually is.

I say they pretty much nailed Han. And even if they didn't, you can't have all of his defining characteristics in one movie. They very clearly wanted to make sequels (and probably will) and you need an arc. You know who doesn't get an arc? Kylo Ren and Rey. They teased the hell out of actually doing something unique and interesting with those 2 in the Last Jedi, but nope nevermind Kylo is just evil and Rey is just a goodie. Jeez not seen that before. Nevermind we're talking about Solo aren't we? My hate for TLJ is spilling out again.

I get that and it's not like I found the movie awful and interest-killing as TLJ and TFA were, but I just don't like that this was promoted as a origin story, in which we didn't really get an origin. The movie had little impact on the overall explanaition of the Star Wars Universe. Especially with the Clone Wars and Rebels being a thing

It does have little impact, and thats why I like it. They need to do stories based in this world that arent always about an evil regime or Jedi etc. I am hoping thats what the Mandalorian is. Im still waiting for Star Wars to prove that they arent creatively bankrupt.

Han being selfish was never a character trait. It was a couple of instances because he had a motive. If he was selfish he wouldn't have had Chewie along with him the whole time. He was greedy, sure, but we see that in Solo too. As for money digging. You can construde that greed for money digging, but ultimately he did have to pay Jabba the Hutt off and the only way to do that is with money. Sure he might have wanted to keep it, which is the same in Solo, but he gave it up for people he cares about. He does that in both A New Hope (when he comes back to help with the Death Star) and in Solo to try and help Qira get away from Crimson Dawn. The guy flirts around the edges of being a selfish money grabber, but he never actually is.

I say they pretty much nailed Han. And even if they didn't, you can't have all of his defining characteristics in one movie. They very clearly wanted to make sequels (and probably will) and you need an arc. You know who doesn't get an arc? Kylo Ren and Rey. They teased the hell out of actually doing something unique and interesting with those 2 in the Last Jedi, but nope nevermind Kylo is just evil and Rey is just a goodie. Jeez not seen that before. Nevermind we're talking about Solo aren't we? My hate for TLJ is spilling out again.

100% agreed... well said.

I really didn't like Solo. Because it was an origin story without the origin part and they forgot to make Han a selfish, money digging asshole

Don Glover's smile is 100% Lando though. A perfect cast for once

They didn't forget, they were building towards that, given that we're getting a sequel. The first movie was probably to show what kind of a person Han was before whatever event took place that changed him, and now the sequel will either show him slowly changing or will show him changing into the person we know in A New Hope. One of his motivation in the original trilogy was to pay off Jabba so Jabba wouldn't kill him, and I think the sequel will probably show what led to him dropping Jabba's shipment to avoid being caught.

I hope this added to what Creep said rather than reiterate.

I'll have to watch Rogue One again because I definitely thought it boring.

About Han being selfish...I don't want to spoil anything. But, I think that what happened to Han in Solo probably has a lot to do with any bitterness and selfishness that carries into his more mature self in the original films. He was young and naive in Solo, and he learned some pretty hard lessons.

Nevermind. I see that M3J pretty much already said what I did. :lol:

I liked Solo. I think the only one of Disney Star Wars movies I didnt really like was Rogue One. Which I dont even hate or anything, its just the first Star Wars movie Ive seen that I have no desire to revisit. I think the only part I really like is the space battle but even thats just kind of eye candy. Like a nice video game cutscene or something.

Recorded Solo the other night, looking forward to seeing how it stacks up. On the discussion of the Disney films, the only one that jarred with me was The Last Jedi, because it seemed like they introduced a load of stuff made up on the spot - and it didn't feel like a Star Wars film, in terms of the cinematography. Also I got the feeling that some of the payoffs were designed to be "ha you thought all this was really significant - nope it's just stuff that happened". Snoke for example.

Recorded Solo the other night, looking forward to seeing how it stacks up. On the discussion of the Disney films, the only one that jarred with me was The Last Jedi, because it seemed like they introduced a load of stuff made up on the spot - and it didn't feel like a Star Wars film, in terms of the cinematography. Also I got the feeling that some of the payoffs were designed to be "ha you thought all this was really significant - nope it's just stuff that happened". Snoke for example.

My biggest gripe with the movie. They introduced a ton of cool new shit (including new options for force users that aren't Jedi or Sith), but then they just went back on themselves.

Guest Shades of Cool

Just watched Rogue One for the first time, it was good. I liked it alot, I liked most of the characters. I just wasn't a fan of everyone dying and the fact that they HAD to connect it to A New Hope, if it didn't connect I don't think everyone would've died. Otherwise though, good movie.

Guest Shades of Cool

It was specifically a story setting up events in A New Hope... how could it not have connected?

I know that, but a story similar (Without the Death Star plans and something else) could've been done and would happen around the same time of TFA and TLJ. But if it had to do with the Death Star plans, then it would HAVE to connect. No question about it.

I mean, I just was kinda saying hypothetically, having an unrelated story to everything else would be cool.

If it didn't connect to A new Hope it wouldn't exist

That's true.

I thought the ending of Rogue One was superbly done, not just the obvious badassery from Vader, but the scene on the beach was pretty powerful too. They basically confronted their imminent death, at peace because they had fulfilled their mission to get the plans.

They pretty much knew they were basically on a suicide mission from the start anyway. If it hadn't been connected (and been a different film with the same story) they would probably have gone for the standard soppy happy ending. It's nice sometimes when a film throws a curveball ending. It's a testament to the story of the film itself, that I didn't ever approach it as "I can't get invested, because they obviously all die, anyway". It was more like a realisation during it, that "oh, of course they have to die".

I really hope they do a Shadows of the Empire one connecting 5 and 6 (Although obviously there'd have to be artistic licence, with the actors etc) Maybe a CGI one?

• 2 months later...

Archived