Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

The entire point of Rey being the one to say it was her realising that her parents were dirt bags and nothing special. She had memory bias and refused to see them as that, so Kylo (who had shared conciousness with her previously) provokes it out of her. He was not feeding her bullshit and she is not the daughter of Han & Leia. That would be absurd if Leia was suddenly like OH SHIT I remember you! Rey is just a random girl who is strong with the force and that is the best thing they could have done. The entirety of the Last Jedi was them experimenting with new things only for them to pussy out and subvert our expectations by ... not subverting our expectations. The franchise is creatively bankrupt, but Rey not being a Skywalker or a Solo or a Kenobi and being no one was 100% the right call. Because it makes things different.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire point of Rey being the one to say it was her realising that her parents were dirt bags and nothing special. She had memory bias and refused to see them as that, so Kylo (who had shared conciousness with her previously) provokes it out of her. He was not feeding her bullshit and she is not the daughter of Han & Leia. That would be absurd if Leia was suddenly like OH SHIT I remember you! Rey is just a random girl who is strong with the force and that is the best thing they could have done. The entirety of the Last Jedi was them experimenting with new things only for them to pussy out and subvert our expectations by ... not subverting our expectations. The franchise is creatively bankrupt, but Rey not being a Skywalker or a Solo or a Kenobi and being no one was 100% the right call. Because it makes things different.

Oh I agree, I just have a hard time accepting they'd be that brave.

In general I agree with you. Which is my biggest gripe with TLJ. They pretended like they had the cohonies to try something different, but in the end they whimped out. I hope beyond hope that Rey being related to no one is the one different thing they decided to stick with it.

In general I agree with you. Which is my biggest gripe with TLJ. They pretended like they had the cohonies to try something different, but in the end they whimped out. I hope beyond hope that Rey being related to no one is the one different thing they decided to stick with it.

The biggest issue I have with the story is that they just killed off Snoke without even bothering to explain where he came from. I know the point was that Kylo became THE villain, but even so. Episode 9 is going to have to have a ton of resolutions to all these questions, but I just wonder if Snoke might be one left unresolved.

Meh I think fans expected way too much of Snoke. I think all the theories and queries built up hype around that character way too much and what they did with him left people unsatisfied. I was unsatisfied too, but its clear that he was never meant to be some really substantial character. He was just a force-sensitive dark side user who wanted to emulate the Emperor and the Empkre.

We will probs get a comic or book about him sooner rather than later to explain more.

Meh I think fans expected way too much of Snoke. I think all the theories and queries built up hype around that character way too much and what they did with him left people unsatisfied. I was unsatisfied too, but its clear that he was never meant to be some really substantial character. He was just a force-sensitive dark side user who wanted to emulate the Emperor and the Empkre.

We will probs get a comic or book about him sooner rather than later to explain more.

I suppose so, but you could argue had we known more, the payoff would have been even better. We know he seduced Kylo Ren to the dark side, but we don't yet know why. Had we known his plan I think it would have been a lot more powerful a scene when Rey was brought to him - like when Luke was brought before Sidious. We knew it was Luke in particular that the Emperor wanted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RIP to Gary Kurtz. Not only for Star Wars and Empire, but for scaring the *Censored* out of me with Dark Crystal and Return to Oz as a kid.

I watched Return To Oz the other year, it's still very dark and creepy. No way I'd let my daughter watch it. Apparently I was terrified of the Wheelers as a child.

GsJjG5G.jpg

Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun! After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Warsuniverse. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed

• 1 month later...

Not linked to any of the Disney stuff but I just finished watching this and I figured I'd share it

And another one, about Maul. One of thr best I've seen

• 1 month later...

Alot of reaction vids out for it, don't think I've seen that before. I'll watch it when I get home.

Apparently Bucketheads dropped as well two weeks ago. The trailer gave me original Battlefront 2 vibes if you guys remember that. It was the story told through the eyes of the clonetroopers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fight Me.

Yeah, heard it got added to Netflix earlier. Was a fan of Rogue One, can't wait to catch Solo myself.

Shame I got spoiled a pretty cool moment by IGN on YouTube a few months back when the bluray came out. Smh.

Darth Maul's return.

Archived