Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

I'm fine with the concept of the Leia thing. I like the idea of the force manifesting in various ways. That not all force users are capable of the same things. It's not a superpower, it's not a moveset. It's not gaining this many skill points to unlock new force ability. That's so video-gamey and bullshit. Instead the force can work in mysterious ways. I just think the way it was executed was questionable at best. It's undeniably a silly image.

Think I'm sort of stuck in between there. I don't want it to be like a video game skill tree, but I don't want it to be some all-seeing thing that can sort things out when it wants to. As I said before, it takes away from the drama of the franchise.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol at the idea of Han dying for "shock value" "instead of Chewie."

Han's death had a clear purpose for Ren's character. And why does Chewie have to die?

Because it's almost the exact opposite of what happened in the books, where Chewie dies to save Han's son. Most of the Star Wars fans I talked to expected something like this.

And that wasn't for shock value. That was for expectation subversion. And it's...meh.

Force Awakens comes out...Han dies instead of Chewie

Nah, I shudder to think of the HUGE outcry that would have happened if Chewie went RIP before Han Solo. The thought alone keeps me awake at night.

In my humble opinion, Han was the easier choice to make between the two characters.

Chewie is the best Star Wars character. And as I said, he was never going to die when the soft reboot happened. He's an easy character to have in your movie, he doesn't talk, you don't need to pay a highly paid actor, he's good for action scenes and everyone loves him.

He's the same as the droids. He's never going to die.

I'm fine with the concept of the Leia thing. I like the idea of the force manifesting in various ways. That not all force users are capable of the same things. It's not a superpower, it's not a moveset. It's not gaining this many skill points to unlock new force ability. That's so video-gamey and bullshit. Instead the force can work in mysterious ways. I just think the way it was executed was questionable at best. It's undeniably a silly image.

Sounds shitty because it's basically plot convenience. Luke being tangible and then intangible made no sense to me either.

lol at the idea of Han dying for "shock value" "instead of Chewie."

Han's death had a clear purpose for Ren's character. And why does Chewie have to die?

Because it's almost the exact opposite of what happened in the books, where Chewie dies to save Han's son. Most of the Star Wars fans I talked to expected something like this.

And that wasn't for shock value. That was for expectation subversion. And it's...meh.

The books aren't canon, so why would you expect Chewie to die?

Sounds shitty because it's basically plot convenience. Luke being tangible and then intangible made no sense to me either.

Force ghosts were always ambiguously tangible and that never really bothered me, so it doesn't bother me with a force projection either.

Meh, no it's not. There were some good runs, but overall it was pretty generic and basic sci fi/fantasy. I think people look at the Extended Universe with more reverence than it should have.

When were they tangible?

When they sit down on logs and shit. If they were intangible wouldn't they just fall on their ass? Unless they're crouching. They interact with their environment. They aren't floaty kinda ghosts. Yet they're transparent and it seems that if you were to poke them your hand would go right through. What I'm getting at is this doesn't matter all that much. They're just ghosts.

When were they tangible?

When they sit down on logs and shit. If they were intangible wouldn't they just fall on their ass? Unless they're crouching. They interact with their environment. They aren't floaty kinda ghosts. Yet they're transparent and it seems that if you were to poke them your hand would go right through. What I'm getting at is this doesn't matter all that much. They're just ghosts.

Not necessarily, but I can't be assed to explain a tedious thought.

But Luke wasn't a ghost. Where did he get the dice from anyway?

Force ghosts aren't ghosts. That's just a silly name for the meta. They're Force manifestations that can do whatever the writers need them to do, they have no rules. They certainly don't apply to the rules that we consider of traditional ghosts.

and Luke got the dice from the cockpit of the Falcon, I thought that was obvious. They can be seen in A New Hope.

Guest Shades of Cool

I finally saw It, all I can really is It's bad, I got confused with so many things It's hard to take it seriously and it jumped around WAAAAYYYYY to many times. Nuh uh I don't like it.

Archived