Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently re-reading all the movie novelizations of both trilogies and Rogue One and Force Awakens. I also included the epic novel "Darth Vader - Dark Lord Rising" by James Luceno, which is one of the best books I've ever read.

The prequels come across so much better in the books, Revenge of the Sith in particular is superbly written, the dialog between Anakin and Padme is much less forced, and the subtle machinations of Palpatine really comes across, you can tell how hard he has to work to manipulate Anakin to join the Dark side, also in "Dark Lord Rising", you can feel Anakin's pain and the anger of being made basically into a crippled shell, but still with the intent to topple Sidious and rule.

I'm on Rogue One at the moment, and again it's really well written. Really interested to see how they've written Vader and his boarding of Tantive IV.

As for other Star Wars, my daughter has just found something called the "Lego Freemaker Adventures" Which is actually pretty good fun, reminds me a little of the Robot Chicken sketches (albeit kid friendly), Vader is hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Shades of Cool

I have only seen a little of bit TLJ, but it seems like utter crap.

I didn't care for it, but to be honest I'm not hugest SW fan to begin with

I am. So for me from what I've heard and seen, it feels like it ruined Star Wars.

The Last Jedi tried new things, but the result was a convoluted plot where half of it could have been solved in about 20 minutes. It had some good stuff (mainly including the Force and Luke/Rey/Kylo IMO), but it was crap aside from that.

They've run out of ideas for Star Wars and it's beginning to show.

Guest Shades of Cool

The Last Jedi tried new things, but the result was a convoluted plot where half of it could have been solved in about 20 minutes. It had some good stuff (mainly including the Force and Luke/Rey/Kylo IMO), but it was crap aside from that.

They've run out of ideas for Star Wars and it's beginning to show.

That's why they shouldn't even bother making anything Star Wars, they made the six and that was fine. You see with Marvel it's completely different, being you have so many characters to work with and so many stories to possibly use, so it's easier to keep making them. With Star Wars it's just feels like it's for the money and that's probably about it, and it makes it worse that it always has to be a trilogy.

I liked Last Jedi but am glad the main saga is finally ending in the next film. More interested in the upcoming spin-offs. Well not too hyped for Young Han but like the all new trilogies from Rian Johnson and the Game of Thrones writers set in the expanded universe with original stories.

The ideas are running out for the main saga but not the franchise. So much potential!

I feel bad for JJ Abrams as his pressure must be huge. Facing some criticism on Force Awakens and just returning to finish the trilogy after the major divisive reactions to Last Jedi but doing the last movie in the whole main saga

The only major "problem" that I have with 'The Last Jedi' is when I hear people make the claim that it was an all around better movie than 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

I'm sorry, but no... I respectfully disagree.

The only major "problem" that I have with 'The Last Jedi' is when I hear people make the claim that it was an all around better movie than 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

The *Censored* says that?? I really liked TLJ but to rank it above Empire or A New Hope is daft, IMO.

The *Censored* says that?? I really liked TLJ but to rank it above Empire or A New Hope is daft, IMO.

Shocking, I know... but yeah, I've heard that opinion thrown out there. Mostly from those who think they're the 2018 internet version of Siskel & Ebert.

*shrug*

Guest Shades of Cool

Right? I haven't even seen it and it seems like trash.

Guest Fight Me.

I'd recommend watching it at least once...It's not the best Star Wars movie but it's definitely not trash. A little change isn't a bad thing.

Guest Shades of Cool

I'd recommend watching it at least once...It's not the best Star Wars movie but it's definitely not trash. A little change isn't a bad thing.

Oh, I'll watch it for sure. I just know that I am not uber excited to watch it.

Change isn't the issue. The issue is entire subplots that end up being pointless and could have been resolved in two scenes rather than stretching them out across an entire movie.

The opinion I've heard/read that I have a problem with or well strongly disagree with is that TLJ is the worst star wars movie including Clone Wars animated film and all prequels.

It's not the best and I understand some of the critism but no way it's worse than TPM or AOTC and no it didn't ruin star wars as a whole.

Archived