Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Just read an article that apprently fans are hugely devided about this film. It's ridiculous because some fans bitched about Force Awakens and saw it as a New Hope remake and now they see Last Jedi as too different and taking chances.

Most of the complaints aren't even about the film itself but they're too focused on nostalgia and wanted their theories to be true so bad.

-Leia and Luke have huge roles, great moments and both actors did great performances.

-Chewie didn't do much but still helped Rey in the Falcon

-R2D2 has a great scene with Luke and C-3PO has a nice tiny moment with Luke

-Poe Dameron has a much bigger role and is awesome!

-I like Finn better now compared to Force Awakens

-New girl is alright but great person

-I think I actually enjoyed Phasma more than Bobba Fett

-Benencio Del Toro's character was cool but shame it felt more like a cameo

-Kylo is badass and now in his own path than just wanting to be like Vader

-Rey is a damn good protagonist

So I don't get the complaints and especially the overreacting ones that claim this was worse than The Phantom Menace or that the rights need to go back to Lucas asap.

Not perfect but c,now. The prequels were a huge controversy with some calling for George Lucas's head, Force Awakens was a remake and bad, Last Jedi is too different and the worse film in the franchise.

As I said before, Visuals are amazing for the most part, light saber and space battles are awesome, sound is still very much star wars, lots of new species/locations/costumes and props

So I'm confused but whatever. They can bitch. I'm looking forward to the next and maybe last saga episode already!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean if you really cant see the glaring plot holes and faults with it, then you are Disneys target audience.

So if all it took to destroy Snokes ship was a battering ram, why did it take the whole movie for Laura Derns character to go through multiple face & heel turns only to do it at the end? Why did they not all get on their transport vehicles AT THE START, use a droid to pilot the big ship and have it do the same thing? That whole subplot was genuinely dumb and dragged on for too long.

And if you think Del Toro will only be in this movie i think you should have payed attention more.

Also the comedy was too much. They undercut every important scene with joke. Same as they did in Thor Ragnarok. The Porgs were fine, but there were 5 too many scenes of them screaming at the camera.

The movie was good, but it stalled for time too much and included way too many pointless angles, jokes and baffling character moments.

I already said that I didn't think it was perfect but just not worse than TPM or it being the worst in the franchise or that the rights need to go back to Lucas right away.

Anyway...so what is everyone's favorite scene?

For me, it definitely has to be

Kylo and Rey teaming up against Snoke's guards. As well as Luke's death as he went out peacefully and like a true master.

Not sure exactly at what point he died though. Was it when fell slowly on the rock after using the force like that?

Okay I lied. I came back because of a Facebook post my girl read to me from a former coworker, which I initially ignored but having not read/watched any non-spoiler reviews I don't know how to take it especially since you guys seemed to like it.

Basically he said something like "Well guys, I think I lost my love for Star Wars today" and when somebody asked him was it really that bad, he replied with (and I'm putting this in a spoiler tag because I don't know if this is representing his disappointment or if this exists in the film itself)

Do you remember Jar Jar Binks?

Was there something that bad in the film or is he overreacting?

I'd say that's an overreaction, but I can't speak to your personal tastes or his.

Alright that settles it then. I'm not listening to anybody else I run into. Not like any of that was drawing me away but that one opinion seemed to sway my lady enough to delay watching it. I can't watch it without her, so I dunno how long I'ma have to stall. I'd rather go Monday or Tuesday but I don't see that happening now.

My feeling is what one thing this movie did not do is make it seem like this the first order s is supreme ruler of the Galaxy like there supposed to be making it out to be at least.

With the Empire you could tell that they just they control the Galaxy I mean they are storm troopers everywhere on every planet in this movie they don't seem as big or threatening as they should be I feel I mean how fast isthere major weapons are being destroyed

Yeah the FO dont control the galaxy. The New Republic are the governing body still and the Resistance were fighting on behalf of them. In the Cold War after the fall of the Empire, many splinter Imperial groups formed to oppose the New Republic, but the First Order is the only one to not be beaten or absorbed by the Republic. Sams right, they are basically are terrorist cell.

Just saw the movie today and really enjoyed it. Couple of thoughts in my head:

Its definitely something that you have to watch more than once. There was a lot going on throughout the movie and I feel like its easy to miss something or not understand something completely.

It seemed like they were trying to be too "cute" at times with the comedy. However I did enjoy Chewy/Porgy scenes. Also the scene where they hit Luke with all the firepower in the world and after the dust clears he simply brushes his shoulder off.

Didn't expect Snork to die and have mixed emotions.

On one hand, we never found out much about him. How did he get his powers? How did he become the leader of the dark side?

On the other hand, I feel like if they had made Snork die at the end of the 9th movie, than it would of felt too much like the Emperor dying in Return of the Jedi.

Was great seeing Yoda return.

Watched "The Last Jedi" yesterday... thought it was decent, and just like "The Force Awakens"... I'll probably need to see it another time without the 3D glasses. Personally, I think "Grumpy Old Jedi" might have been a more fitting subtitle for the 8th entry of the series.

Captain Phasma bitch slapping poor Finn was comedy gold. Loved all of the scenes featuring Rey and Kylo. Could've done without the Laura Dern subplot. Happy to see Billie Lourd was in the movie, hope she returns.

Just saw the movie today and really enjoyed it. Couple of thoughts in my head:

Its definitely something that you have to watch more than once. There was a lot going on throughout the movie and I feel like its easy to miss something or not understand something completely.

It seemed like they were trying to be too "cute" at times with the comedy. However I did enjoy Chewy/Porgy scenes. Also the scene where they hit Luke with all the firepower in the world and after the dust clears he simply brushes his shoulder off.

Didn't expect Snork to die and have mixed emotions.

On one hand, we never found out much about him. How did he get his powers? How did he become the leader of the dark side?

On the other hand, I feel like if they had made Snork die at the end of the 9th movie, than it would of felt too much like the Emperor dying in Return of the Jedi.

Was great seeing Yoda return.

The thing with Snoke is;

Its clear now that he was never supposed to be this big bad for the new trilogy. That lies with Kylo now. The fans were the ones that put him high up on that pedestal with all the theories and what not. Thats clearly not what the writers had going for him, he was just a dark side user who controlled the First Order and its evident now thats all we needed to know.

His death was very Game of Thrones esque and I thought it was done very well. His character was the catalyst for Kylo, which is cool.

Im sure there will be books and comics about him in the near future.

I'll speculate something for Episode 9..

Poe and Rey may develop something! They finally met in the Last Jedi and he looked fascinated by her while she had an "Oh my" type of facial expression

Could be nothing but I like Poe way more than Finn and so I hope he gets an even bigger role in the next movie and gets some scenes with Rey.

Finn can have Rose and become a resistance fighter while just being good friends both of the main protagonists

I don't understand how the Force helped Leia survive outer space, but it feels like an ode/reference to the Expanded Universe when Luke did the same.

Movie wasn't too bad though. I actually thought Rey and Kylo might have been twins with how they were talking to each other, like how Luke talked to Leia at the end of Empire Strikes Back. Snokes died hella early though, and Luke's death made no sense to me, unless he died because of overexertion. The title was kinda predictable though, with Rey becoming the last Jedi and all. Yoda's appearance and ability to summon lightning felt... odd and bad.

I still think Rey is related to Kylo somehow though.

Just because you didn't understand why Luke died, doesn't mean it didn't make sense. Rey literally said Luke had excluded himself from the Force for a long time, but it was clear he was using every bit of energy or force or whatever it was to put himself on Crait and do all that shit as a Force Ghost(hallucination?) Then he died the same way Yoda and Obi Wan did. His mission was complete, he accepted the Force again and he finally become one with it.

He'll be a Force ghost in the next ep for sure.

Archived