Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I can imagine like 5 people in the entire world have seen the film. It's probably not even finished, the editing process isn't a fast thing and they still have half a year to go.

So I call bullshit.

Well I can imagine like 5 people in the entire world have seen the film. It's probably not even finished, the editing process isn't a fast thing and they still have half a year to go.

So I call bullshit.

There just going by trailer and others info leaks

Like the speeder walker battle

It's not actually too much of a stretch to see this being similar in tone to Empire, given this is the second part of the trilogy. Traditionally the middle part of a trilogy builds tension and even has cliffhangers.

I hope they've learned from Force Awakens, and not gone down the "practically a remake" route.

They needed to "remake" A New Hope with the Force Awakens. It's not they need to learn, not at all.

Force Awakens was structurally similar to Episode 4 before because it was the first Star Wars in like 10 years, it was a movie with much tension after the prequels so Disney/Lucasfilm delivered something that older fans felt comfortable with and something new fans could follow along easily and not be too confused with trade negotiations and pod racing and whatever else. Plus then when those new fans go back and watch the original trilogy they have Force Awakens to relate it to.

They do not need to "learn" anything. What they did with Force Awakens was a smart business decision. It was well received and made over a billion dollars so it obviously succeeded in being a smart decision.

It was establishing a new generation of Star Wars using familiar elements from past movies.

Nah, it was smart. You'd be a fool to think otherwise. You might not like it, I wish they could have done something else personally, but I understand why they did it and I enjoyed the film regardless.

It was establishing a new generation of Star Wars using familiar elements from past movies.

Nah, it was smart. You'd be a fool to think otherwise. You might not like it, I wish they could have done something else personally, but I understand why they did it and I enjoyed the film regardless.

I watched it, having already seen the criticism - and yeah I still enjoyed it. It still felt very much like Star Wars, which (and again I agree with your earlier point) I don't think the first two episodes of the "prequel" trilogy really did. Revenge of the Sith did - but Phantom Menace and large parts of Attack of the Clones didn't.

It's also a good story, history does tend to repeat itself, Kylo Ren is a great villain too.

except the whole part where disney steps in and is like "we'll make stuff canon only when it's convenient" other than that i liked the movie too

except the whole part where disney steps in and is like "we'll make stuff canon only when it's convenient" other than that i liked the movie too

People still complain about Disney taking over. What are we stuck in 2012? Disney have done a great job and they've hardly "stepped in". Sure they've reduced the canon, but they have also added a lot of canon since then. Several comics, books, movies, animated shows and hell, even the upcoming Battlefront 2 has a canonical story.

People complain that the extended universe no longer being canon need to suck it up IMO. Disney haven't gotten rid of it all, you can still read all the books and you can enjoy it in its own "alternate universe" aspect. They didn't take it away from you, they've just picked and chosen what bits to include and what not to include.

There were some really good Star Wars books, but there was also a lot of shit and Disney did right getting rid of it. They've already adapted the best parts about it. Han/Leia siblings, building on the Empire/First Order, creating new planets and species. They've even re-introduced Thrawn back into the fold with his own book. There is a lot to love. Disney have treated this property right so far and people should realise that she accept it.

People still complain about Disney taking over. What are we stuck in 2012? Disney have done a great job and they've hardly "stepped in". Sure they've reduced the canon, but they have also added a lot of canon since then. Several comics, books, movies, animated shows and hell, even the upcoming Battlefront 2 has a canonical story.

People complain that the extended universe no longer being canon need to suck it up IMO. Disney haven't gotten rid of it all, you can still read all the books and you can enjoy it in its own "alternate universe" aspect. They didn't take it away from you, they've just picked and chosen what bits to include and what not to include.

There were some really good Star Wars books, but there was also a lot of shit and Disney did right getting rid of it. They've already adapted the best parts about it. Han/Leia siblings, building on the Empire/First Order, creating new planets and species. They've even re-introduced Thrawn back into the fold with his own book. There is a lot to love. Disney have treated this property right so far and people should realise that she accept it.

i'm not totally complaining it's just that i've noticed some of the stuff disney keeps stuff when it's convenient to them.

i've seen this years ago. i've seen it happen with star trek as wel but idk. idk as much stuff as i used to cause i stopped reading up on the SW universe about 8 or 9 years ago (whenever episode 3 happened)

• 2 weeks later...

So I listened to the Folding Ideas about the new Colin Trevorrow movie "The Book of Henry". Disclaimer here, I haven't seen the movie myself, but it sounds like it's bad. Like very bad. If this movie flies under the radar he might be fine, but I think there's a strong possibility this might lead to Colin getting booted. They'll probably make him say he left willingly because if he doesn't, he'll never work again, but I think there's a strong possibility that they convince Rian Johnson or maybe even JJ to come back and direct Episode 9. Or just anybody who isn't Colin. I mean we saw what happened with Josh Trank. Sure he trash talked the studio on top of making Fant4stic, but I think Disney was probably ready to cut his ass before his twitter rant.

Pure speculation from me, just wanted to hear other's thoughts and have some sort of record of my speculation if any of this comes to be. Obviously I don't want the guy to be out of work, but I thought his previous two movies were pretty bad too and never wanted him directing Episode 9 to begin with. Maybe my speculation is a little biased too.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Rogue One, and I absolutely loved it. Not sure why every person that I talked to told me it was boring, or shitty in one way or another. It felt like a good, solid, complete Star Wars movie...the visuals were awesome, the storytelling was on-point. Vader was a badass, the markout moments were all there. Just solid all around. Between 'Force Awakens', and 'Rogue One'...I honestly see the potential for me to end up liking this new direction for Star Wars more than the originals. There's just a lot more that can be done now that couldn't be done back then...

Archived