Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

All of them apart from A New Hope (which is only really a secondary name) sounded pretty B-movie/adventure serial. George grew up in the 50's really loves the 50's American culture so it makes sense. You see it show up in a lot of his work.

Indeed and that's what makes them so appealing. They're supposed to be sensational and pulpy. I like that the Lucas films embraced that. The Phantom Menace is my favorite in that respect.

As for the new title, I don't mind it. In a way it sort of has a pulp-western vibe to me for some reason. And I like that it may have a double meaning -- perhaps alluding to both Luke and Rey.

Oh and I totally dig the red font. Love it.

Attack of The Clones really does sound like a Romero movie tbh

Not sure if it sounds like a Romero film title, but he certainly loves pulp.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HARVsZb.jpg

Rey isn't a Jedi though at least not yet.

Also someone on Reddit made a good point of waiting until the title is translated in foreign languages because then we'll know if the Jedi in title is plural or not.

I like the choice of red for the logo. I believe when Return of The Jedi was called Revenge of The Jedi it was red? Someone more knowledgable can correct or confirm, but I believe so.

Yep that's correct.

• 4 weeks later...

I always hear people complaining about the ease at which Rey learned to use the force. But it makes perfect sense to me. After all...I think we could assume that whatever genes dictate one's capacity for mastering the force, would be passed on through the different generations of birth. And we don't know who her parents are yet...but she's obviously part of a later generation regardless. So, it would seem to reason to me...that she would have evolved at a more rapid rate than her predecessors, and could learn to use the force much more organically than anyone before her. Just saying...also, it could be like people lifting cars while high on adrenaline and stuff. She was thrown into a life or death situation and forced to pull out everything that she had. So, yeah...I don't know why people have a problem with it. Obviously she's still far from being a master or anything...she just learned the basics really quickly.

Just a random statement on the matter.

I really get the Mary Sue comments about her character. I think it's a very legitimate complaint on the character. It doesn't personally bother me much because I think they at the very least made her character likable, but I understand people having an issue with the way she was written. Because I objectively think it's not a very interesting way of writing a character. People will attempt dispute the Mary Sue argument with all this speculation of her past and what not. They'll argue that it makes sense that she's able to do almost everything right at any given moment. Which is true but that doesn't change a character from being a Mary Sue. A Mary Sue is a flaw in the narrative, not a flaw in the logic of story.

• 1 month later...

HARVsZb.jpg

Would also be possible that Luke steps down as a Jedi, which would make Rey the last Jedi if she chose to be. Or it could be honor of Luke being the last Jedi for a long time.

I don't mind Rey learning to use the Force to a degree, honestly. I mean, didn't Luke spend few hours, if not days, learning about the Force with Ben when he was able to use the Force to get his lightsaber? At least Rey had some experience when she resisted Kylo's mind reading ability and threw it back on him. She also gave in to the Force completely when she fought Kylo, and I always assumed being that relaxed allowed the Force to be more clear and helpful.

She also gave in to the Force completely when she fought Kylo, and I always assumed being that relaxed allowed the Force to be more clear and helpful.

Yeah maybe. Was still bs though.

Yeah, the way she was able to beat Kylo, even though he was injured, wasn't that good. I mean, even Luke with some training lost to Vader, but he didn't give in to the Force the way Rey did, and all.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder how Luke would have fared if he did let the Force flow through him completely and was relaxed, or if Kylo was able to throw objects the way Vader did.

I just assume it meant that Rey isn't technically a Jedi yet and goes to Luke, the last Jedi, to be trained.

Would be a twist if the last Jedi was actually Kylo turning back to the good side, like his grandfather, but without dying. Rey doesn't want to be a Jedi, and Luke either dies or "retires."

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just watched Rogue One, but I rather enjoyed it. Not the best Star Wars movie, but far from the worst. I enjoyed it along the lines of Force Awakens, but I enjoyed the characters less. I get that they're all only around for the one movie, but most of them felt very one dimensional.

Solid movie though.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/do-not-post-lucasfilms-post-star-wars-episode-ix-plans.html

Obi Wan movie, Boba Fett movie, an untitled "young adult" movie, a focus on TV shows both existing and new all confirmed.

Also Lucasfilm are taking a break from movies after Episode 9. Probably for the best.

Archived