Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it today and I was fairly impressed, twas loads of fun. Donnie Mutha*censored*in Yen in my Star Wars!?!?! XD Whitaker was a tad bit too tryhard in his role for my liking but I did like all the characters a great deal. K-2SO... gold.

Vader... more badass than he's ever been even in that short period. He was more like he was in Force Awakens here, just pure beast. I loved it and I wish there was more. Rogue One getting picked off one by one was sad. Chirrut did hit the hardest, one because he was the first and two... DONNIE MUTHA*censored*IN YEN! K-2's was equally sad. Malbus didn't seem like he was close enough to the Thermal Detonator that got him but he went out like a warrior. The pilot was meh, XD

The number of forces the rebellion sent just to lose them was astronomical. Such a huge loss. I mean, huge gain too if it meant Death Star was just gonna keep wrecking sheeit but... damn. That Hammerhead was a frikkin savage though. How that little shit can ram into a ship that big and be fine but that ship can't take hitting another ship is O_o

I just thought this movie was somehow going shed a little more light on what's going on in the new trilogy. Guess all those fan theories I was hoping were gonna pan out. It's like the only reason this movie was made is that the people behind it got tired of fans joking about how two Proton Torpedoes took down the most devastating weapon ever constructed and went "Ah, ah, but SEE! There's a reason why! It's right here!"

I enoyed parts of this movie, didn't mind the rest.

- love the cameos. those Darth Vader scenes, ugh yes!

- so much for the Rogue One group becoming the Knights of Ren theory :XD::(

- Watching the opening scene of A New Hope after the ending of Rogue One ... ties in so well

• 2 weeks later...

Aw *Censored*, not Obi-Wan. I generally think the animated shows are good, which really says something about the good moments in that they can somewhat cause me to forgive all the insanely stupid bullshit they pull. The way the Clone Wars made Boba Fett an actually interesting character for the first time ever? Cool, worthy addition to canon. The way the show actually managed to make me care about the Clone Troopers? Pretty well done considering they were portrayed as weirdly inhuman in the actual movies. Having episodes of weird, abstract visual personifications of the force *censored*ing around with the protagonists? Ehh, visualizing the force like that sort of misses the point of the force, but these episodes are a bit inconsequential so I'll let it slide. The way it brought Darth Maul back? No, *censored*ing stupid blatant fan service that completely decimates everybody's suspension of disbelief.

Trying to make Obi-Wan in between trilogies into some action star is another stupid move in theory for the series. I don't know how it'll play out, but the core idea bothers me. The fact that Obi-Wan is this magnificent war hero that is forced to live in exile is interesting. The fact that he has to take a sudden shift in his life from one extreme of constant action to another of staying lowkey and trying to remain as quiet as possible is fascinating. The story is that there is no story in between acts. It shouldn't be monumental, it should be boring and miserable for him. That's what makes his journey in A New Hope so fulfilling. It's Obi-Wan after years and years of being miserable going out on one last adventure. He gets to live out the glory days one last time before he dies. Complete with the droids he used to hang out with and Luke, the only piece of his former best friend Obi-Wan has left. That bit of narrative gets spoiled a bit when you take into account he was battling robot-legged devil sith not too long before it.

I hear people say all the time that they want an Obi-Wan stand alone, or even trilogy for *Censored*'s sake. I know we all love Ewan, but I seriously don't think these people ever think about what this would add to the narrative vs what it would take away. As a Star Wars fanboy, the issue I have with many other Star Wars fanboys is that they don't value story and character in Star Wars as much as they value stuff in Star Wars.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the title and was like "Ugh, whatever." I don't think these new titles have the same punch the originals and the prequels had. Then I re-read the opening crawl for TFA:

Untitled.png

bean.gif

The prequel titles were incredibly B-movie-like. They were not good.

Archived