Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Just earlier this week, the official announcement of production revealed director Rian Johnson hard at work on the set of Star Wars: Episode VIII with Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley in a familiar location from the end of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In addition, new cast members were confirmed with Benicio del Toro, Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran being named as part of the film. And with production in full swing, we have another look behind the scenes, this one revealing a surprisingly adorable working title logo for the Star Wars sequel.

Here’s the Star Wars Episode VIII working title logo as revealed by Carrie Fisher:

https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/700731677312548864

As you can see, the on-set title for the film is Space Bear: Episode VIII, complete with a little panda bear emoji replacing one of the letters in the title. I can’t be sure, but when you zoom in, it looks like the panda might be wearing a headwrap not dissimilar from the one Rey wore in The Force Awakens. That likely means nothing in the grand scheme of things as far as hints about the new movie are concerned, but it’s just a cute little detail.

We have no idea where that title came from, but the fake title was discovered as far back as 2014 and confirmed back in January. Star Wars: The Force Awakens had the working title of Foodles, though we’re not sure where the inspiration for that fake title came from, and the same can be said for Space Bear as well.

Speaking of which, it seems strange that the logo has been designed to look like a Star Wars title, defeating the purpose of the decoy title to begin with. But presumably, Space Bear (without the Episode VIII title) is how the movie is referred to outside of the set to confuse those who don’t know what the movie really is. After all, if you’re close enough the Star Wars: Episode VIII set to see this on a chair, then you probably already know it’s a Star Wars movie set.

Also, for those curious, that adorable dog is Carrie Fisher’s pet bulldog Gary, and he has his own custom action figure:

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/692810465471123456

I’m not sure why they didn’t decide to call the movie Space Dog and give Gary his own special little emoji in the logo. But since he gets to be on the set of Star Wars: Episode VIII and even attended the premiere of The Force Awakens, it’s safe to say that dog is leading a pretty sweet life in a galaxy far, far away already.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-viii-working-title-logo/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard a few arguments from an interesting faction arguing that the overall theme of the Star Wars series is crypto-fascist. Michael Moorcock would probably agree with him, as per his views of authors like Tolkien in Epic Pooh and his opinions on the "bourgeoisie" or the middle class.

• 3 weeks later...

"An actual Star Wars fan" foh.

I was saying that in reference to myself...because I'm not one. I enjoyed Force Awakens...I generally enjoy all of the Star Wars films (with the exception of the past few)...but I'm not a big fan of the series or anything. I was saying that a cheap Amazon version of the Blu Ray would probably be fine for someone like me...but I'm sure that any "real fan" of the series would want something more substantial. You need to stop trying to turn everything into a bout of elitism.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be more excited for that Rogue One movie than I was for Force Awakens when its trailer launched.

I'm certainly more excited for Rogue One than I am Episode VIII. Pretty much because it's new.

The blu ray for this is 20$ on Amazon for people who want it cheap.

Quality is probably crap though (stuff like special features, etc...not the video quality). If you're an actual Star Wars fan, you'd probably want to look around for a less basic copy, IMO.

Got mine from Amazon, came with an entire disc of special features.

^ All editions come with the extras-disc.

I'm getting the Target version with the 20 mins of bonus features extra. I don't know why anybody wouldn't get that version of the Blu Ray.

The two exclusive extras are digital and not on the Blu-Ray. And the packaging is made of cheap cardboard and houses the discs in sleeves which makes the discs a pain in the ass to access.

Too late my man. But I figured I'd keep the case in goof enough condition before I get the inevitable rerelease they put out in a few years with added features cause I'm a sucker, and Disney knows that.

Also Rogue One trailer looks cool. Idk why I was hyped to see Mon Mothma so much, but I legitimately was.

Not gonna get the DVD or Blu-Ray until all movies are done. Feels better for the wallet to get the set, and hopefully it'll be out with the first and second trilogies. That'd probably be expensive though, as I assume it'd be around 12 DVDs, from I to IX and the three anthologies.

Hopefully we'll get Luke as we're already getting Leia and Han.

Also Rogue One trailer looks cool. Idk why I was hyped to see Mon Mothma so much, but I legitimately was.

I just want to know how many Bothans are gonna die.

THAT'S THE SECOND DEATH STAR, NERD. LEARN YOUR LORE.

XD

Archived