Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of right now, Kylo Ren sucks. Yeah he killed off the last of Luke's taught Jedi, whoopty doo. Judging from the movie he had backup, The Knights Of Ren, to support him. I liked him better with the mask but its clearly a product of his fanboyism for his grandfather, he suffers from no cool deformities, which in most cases in the past, was the true reason they wore masks and such. I know they're no longer Canon (silly Disney), but Malak lost his jaw bone, you can argue Revan didn't have any deformities but playing through KOTOR, you can argue he did. We all know what became of Anakin that made him don the mask. It not only covered up his burn tissue, but it was part of his breathing apparatus. For Kylo it was just like "I'm Darth Vaders grandchild, I can wear a mask if I want to." I respected the character more once he took it off. But that's just me...

As of right now, Kylo Ren sucks. Yeah he killed off the last of Luke's taught Jedi, whoopty doo. Judging from the movie he had backup, The Knights Of Ren, to support him. I liked him better with the mask but its clearly a product of his fanboyism for his grandfather, he suffers from no cool deformities, which in most cases in the past, was the true reason they wore masks and such. I know they're no longer Canon (silly Disney), but Malak lost his jaw bone, you can argue Revan didn't have any deformities but playing through KOTOR, you can argue he did. We all know what became of Anakin that made him don the mask. It not only covered up his burn tissue, but it was part of his breathing apparatus. For Kylo it was just like "I'm Darth Vaders grandchild, I can wear a mask if I want to." I respected the character more once he took it off. But that's just me...

By the end his face is deformed, though. Rey slashes his face and it leaves a nasty facial scar.

Amen... my thoughts exactly.

This is actually an aspect of Kylo's character I love. The mask is a good visual/physical embodiment of what his character is about. He doesn't need it, but it serves it's purposes to him. Obviously it's a way for him to emulate his idol. In another way it's how he masks who he is. His past self is obviously a touchy subject, he kills Max Von Sydow for mentioning it. He's super insecure about himself. He wants to desperately set himself apart from the light in him, but he can't, so he hides it behind a mask. Without the mask he feels like Ben Solo and not Kylo Ren. Without it he's walking around with the same face as Han Solo and Princess Leia. This movie isn't really deep at all, but the fact that Kylo Ren wears the mask is one of the more interesting things about it.

Harrison Ford is Han Solo, as much as any real person can embody any fictional character, and it’s tough to imagine anyone else stepping into the role after nearly 40 years. But with a “young Han Solo” spinoff in the works from Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the time has come for us to meet a different stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder.

The filmmakers have taken their time, reportedly looking at thousands of young actors for the part, and today we’ve heard they’ve finally started to narrow down their choices. Among those on the shortlist are Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Dave Franco, and Logan Lerman. Hit the jump for more on the Han Solo shortlist.

Variety reports that the Han Solo shortlist currently consists of about a dozen names, including Teller, Elgort, Franco, Lerman, Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction), Scott Eastwood (Suicide Squad), Emory Cohen (Brooklyn), and Blake Jenner (Everybody Wants Some). Lord, Miller, and producer Kathleen Kennedy are expected to test the finalists and zero in on a winner within the next few weeks.

The Han Solo movie isn’t due out until May 25, 2018 and won’t start shooting until January 2017. However, the trade notes, there may be a very interesting reason why the filmmakers are so eager to lock down a lead. Rumor has it the new Han Solo will be introduced via a small cameo in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which arrives at the end of this year.

http://www.slashfilm.com/han-solo-shortlist/

I don't think anybody really wants a Han Solo movie. To be honest I'm completely against the idea of spin-off movies in general. I feel like they should at least save them for when they wrap up Episode 9.

I'm cool with the Rogue One idea. I think it has the potential to be something great. It gives the opportunity to dig into the lore (which is something I love), but the Han Solo one just seems like fan service. I'm hoping it'll be good, but yeah I'm nervous.

I like how I had no clue Rogue One was even a thing until I saw a top 10 most anticipated movies of 16 video v_v

Any cinematic method of expanding the universe I'm down for, rather it's that or baby Han. Haven't look up anything on that though. Is this a post-jedi story or a pre-New Hope story?

As for TFA itself, it wasn't bad. I'd kinda read up a few articles about the filming and I can easily see the parallels between it and New Hope. They're very much the same movie... but without being the same movie and gladly I was able to enjoy it. But it was by no means a watch 4-5 times movie imo. One time is fine. I take my few burning questions, my handfuls of "wtf, come on!!",

That Captian Phasma thing that was mentioned. I read an article with... Christina, is that her name? That skyscraper of a woman, and she's all "First female villian, YEAH!" and the Fetts comparisons. Everybody about that article screamed that she was gonna make moves in this first films. And yeah she did, she screwed the New Order. Easily the most disappointing thing presented in that movie, less disappointing that Han biting it. I felt less for Han and more for Chewy cause he was PIIIIIIIIIIIIISSED. But yeah, garbage ass Phasma. If they find out what she did, losing her title is the very least of her issues

and I will patiently wait for whatever movies will follow

I like how I had no clue Rogue One was even a thing until I saw a top 10 most anticipated movies of 16 video v_v

Any cinematic method of expanding the universe I'm down for, rather it's that or baby Han. Haven't look up anything on that though. Is this a post-jedi story or a pre-New Hope story?

As for TFA itself, it wasn't bad. I'd kinda read up a few articles about the filming and I can easily see the parallels between it and New Hope. They're very much the same movie... but without being the same movie and gladly I was able to enjoy it. But it was by no means a watch 4-5 times movie imo. One time is fine. I take my few burning questions, my handfuls of "wtf, come on!!",

That Captian Phasma thing that was mentioned. I read an article with... Christina, is that her name? That skyscraper of a woman, and she's all "First female villian, YEAH!" and the Fetts comparisons. Everybody about that article screamed that she was gonna make moves in this first films. And yeah she did, she screwed the New Order. Easily the most disappointing thing presented in that movie, less disappointing that Han biting it. I felt less for Han and more for Chewy cause he was PIIIIIIIIIIIIISSED. But yeah, garbage ass Phasma. If they find out what she did, losing her title is the very least of her issues

I saw some new info today actually. The Han Solo movie is set a decade before A New Hope.

Also Phasma's actress is called Gwendoline Christie. She was rather disappointing in the movie, but atleast it set up her nicely for future movies.

I saw some new info today actually. The Han Solo movie is set a decade before A New Hope.

Also Phasma's actress is called Gwendoline Christie. She was rather disappointing in the movie, but atleast it set up her nicely for future movies.

Okay, I got the Chris part right at least XD. But yeah, here's hoping she gets with it because... ugh.

And okay, that'd make a lot more sense. I think a crapload of the pre-trilogy canon was destroyed in the Disney acquisition so building that back up will be great. New places to go, new people to see, and maybe a "How Han Meet Chewy" story. Only sucky part is this might present us with the fewest lightsaber scenes in the cinematic series' history. Yoda and Obi on the DL, Vader and Sidious being the bullies they are, but no interaction between the two forces. It'll prove whether or not people watch these movies for the story or for the potential saber battles :P

Okay, I got the Chris part right at least XD. But yeah, here's hoping she gets with it because... ugh.

And okay, that'd make a lot more sense. I think a crapload of the pre-trilogy canon was destroyed in the Disney acquisition so building that back up will be great. New places to go, new people to see, and maybe a "How Han Meet Chewy" story. Only sucky part is this might present us with the fewest lightsaber scenes in the cinematic series' history. Yoda and Obi on the DL, Vader and Sidious being the bullies they are, but no interaction between the two forces. It'll prove whether or not people watch these movies for the story or for the potential saber battles :P

Honestly I hope we don't see any Jedi or saber fights. I'm looking forward to Rogue One a bit more because of that.

I'm not that excited with a Han Solo spinoff. There's so much they could mess up, but then again this could be a Han before he became what he was in A New Hope. Han back then may not have been as much of a scoundrel or jerk.

I'm not that excited with a Han Solo spinoff. There's so much they could mess up, but then again this could be a Han before he became what he was in A New Hope. Han back then may not have been as much of a scoundrel or jerk.

If anything, I'd think he'd be even more of an asshole pre-New Hope

J.J. Abrams returned to the Television Critics Association for a panel on his upcoming Showtime series Roadies with Cameron Crowe and cast. After the panel Abrams stayed to speak with reporters and was accommodating when questions turned again to Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Accommodating in that he did not shut them down, but still answered them in J.J. Abrams style. One reporter asked directly about Rey’s lineage. Find out what Abrams said, after the jump.

Who Are Rey’s Parents?

One reporter asked whether Rey might be a Kenobi.

“I know quite a bit, but obviously it’s not for me to talk about in this moment because this is Rian [Johnson]’s story to continue now,” Abrams said. “The last thing I’m going to do is reveal something that he would be upset about. I want to make sure that Rian gets the courtesy he showed me.”

Over the holidays, Greg Grunberg told the Washington Post that Abrams said he regretted not directing Episode VIII after reading the script. Abrams clarified Grunberg’s interpretation of his comments.

“Here’s the thing about Greg,” Abrams said. “You put a microphone in front of him, you never know what you’re going to get. I love my friend Greg. He’s my best friend since Kindergarten. I think that my enthusiasm for VIII is enormous. I think he also might have invented a couple of the quotes that he gave but I am very much excited for and very jealous of anyone, especially Rian, who gets to work so closely with this extraordinary cast and crew. Truly an amazing group, so in that regard, for sure. Honestly, I’m also relieved to have gotten the chance to do a Star Wars movie.”

Now into spoiler territory, another reporter asked Abrams how he felt to kill a major character in The Force Awakens. Most people have seen the film multiple times and know who perished, but spoiler alert just in case.

“First of all, I didn’t kill Harrison Ford,” Abrams deadpanned. “Just for the record, thank God, by the way. No, but we knew we needed to do something that was bold and maybe unexpected.”

One thing Abrams hasn’t had much chance to speak about was working with John Williams on the score. Abrams was humbled when asked to direct Williams.

“He would ask me my opinion and my kneejerk reaction was always, ‘Why do you care? You tell me.’ It’s that kind of openness and curiosity and collaborative nature that I think allows him to be open to writing the kind of music that just touches your heart. He makes it look so easy and I can’t imagine it ever is. First of all, he’s a hero since I was a little kid, before Star Wars came out, listening to his albums. He’s the most generous and gentle and sweet and thoughtful person I think I’ve met. He’s really just like a dream human being who doesn’t quite act like accomplished anything, meaning his modesty is so true and pure. He talks just like anyone might, but he’s also had maybe the biggest imprint or impact on American film than anyone period. He’s so sweet and modest and it’s so genuine and who he is, it shows you how you can accomplish extraordinary things and not walk around like you’ve accomplished extraordinary things. That alone is inspiring and of course his music is just otherworldly and preternatural and impossible.”

Before parting, Abrams also said he would like to return to television writing and directing.

“I would love to. Writing another pilot, directing a pilot or an episode, I’m game for anything.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/who-are-reys-parents/

3fw6itF.jpg

Yeah that idea of Chewbacca being Uncle Chewie gave the seen a whole new level. Because he would have been. He would have been there when the kid was born and there throughout his childhood. Kinda makes me appreciate the scene more.

^ same

Explains why he didn't kill Ren outright, although I hope Disney doesn't *Censored* this up by writing that Han or Chewie didn't spend much time with Ben.

I actually wouldn't mind Luke training Rey to take on Ren, but he doesn't get involved himself, like how he allowed Jaina to train so she could kill her brother while he distracted Jacen.

Archived